SBB's All Molasses Rum Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Re: SBB's All Molasses Rum Recipe

Post by The Dark Alchemist »

Saltbush Bill wrote:If its just a strip run let the strip do the cleaning...a bit of brown in the low wines wont hurt.
Ended up just dropping the hose into the column, making sure the flow came out the other end - first ever puke, so wanted to make sure there were no blockages. Will strip tonight.....
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Post by The Dark Alchemist »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:
Saltbush Bill wrote:If its just a strip run let the strip do the cleaning...a bit of brown in the low wines wont hurt.
Ended up just dropping the hose into the column, making sure the flow came out the other end - first ever puke, so wanted to make sure there were no blockages. Will strip tonight.....

Stripped deep into tails, for around 6L of product. Set next batch and it too took off like a rocket. Slowed down much quicker this time; day 3 it was a steady stream of bubbling activity.
NSWiner
Novice

Post by NSWiner »

Hi, been thinking of a molasses ferment. Reading this thread you said you were adding conditioner and oil. Distillers conditioner..the Still Spirits stuff?
I used that with my airstill but haven't since, but I've never heard of oil being used,what's it's purpose?

Thanks
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Oil or a knob of butter are used as a surficant to stop foaming and puking .
HBS distillers conditioner does a similar job but a table spoon of vege oil is cheaper :thumbup:

Not all molasses washes will foam and puke . I’ve had times when I add oil and it still pukes and times when I’ve forgotten and it hasn’t :econfused:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive never personaly used the stuff....a big boiler with plenty of head space negates the need. Do what ever you think will stop puking in your situation.
Oil or butter is just one solution.
Wash mixed with low wines and feints also has less tendancy to puke. That's one of a few reasons that I rarely run straight wash.
Eddie Haskel
Novice

Post by Eddie Haskel »

Giving this a try, sounds great. I stretched it out a bit more. I did not want a wash that could come out with a PA of 19% so I added water to the 11 gallon point giving me 19 brix, 1.076 sg or 10% pa. I have never seen a ferment take off like this before. Five hours after pitching the yeast I took the airlock off and went to a blow-off tube. Out of the 11 gallons of wash how much should I save for the spirit run? I will be doing two stripping runs first on a pot still. Any disadvantage of using molasses syrup over the black-strap? Restaurant depot has a case of 4 gallons on sale for only $35 right now.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

What is the difference between mollases syrup and blackstrap ?
Here its either molasses for human consumption or stock feed for feeding animals. I use the later of the two as do most commercial distilleries.
Not sure why you needed more water, the original recipe should result in a wash of less than 10% abv.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Eddie Haskel wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 am Giving this a try, sounds great. I stretched it out a bit more. I did not want a wash that could come out with a PA of 19% so I added water to the 11 gallon point giving me 19 brix, 1.076 sg or 10% pa. I have never seen a ferment take off like this before. Five hours after pitching the yeast I took the airlock off and went to a blow-off tube. Out of the 11 gallons of wash how much should I save for the spirit run? I will be doing two stripping runs first on a pot still. Any disadvantage of using molasses syrup over the black-strap? Restaurant depot has a case of 4 gallons on sale for only $35 right now.
You should follow the recipe .
Your theory on Brix , SG and PA is all wrong . ... well its fine if we were talking about beer or wine or even a good old sugar wash .... but this is Molasses .

It’s thick gooey stuff .... but it ain’t all sugar . Basically less than half it is .The rest just throws the reading on the brix and hydrometer readings so you think you will have a high AVB wash .

Salty’s Rum ends up with an AVB around 7-8% ..... not 19% .

So you may find your yeild is very low .

My hydrometer SG readings are so high that the neck is bobbing out past the scale . I guestimate the SG is around 1.120 - 1.130 depending on how much Dunder I use .It finishes around 1.065 . These sorts of readings have beer brewers questioning their faith ... but it is the way of Rum . :thumbup:

I only use the Hydrometer every now and then for curiosity sake .... basically so when someone asks I have a few numbers to give them .
I just use the same recipe and when its no longer sweet , its done regardless of what the hydrometer says .

Anyway , hope you enjoy your Rum . I use a perf plate still like Salty but if you are gonna Pot still it , be really tight on your spirit cut . Favour the heads and forget the tails . Age it for 1 year at least on toasted American Oak . Opening every few weeks to a month to let the heads out , oxygen in . ... unless you got a barrel . :ebiggrin:

Oh yeah , keep the early heads and tails cut and add them back to the next spirit run . You will get a better yield next time and flavour improves . .... or if you have a Reflux still , run them through that to make a nice sipping white rum .... either way , when you do the cuts don’t be greedy .... keep the bare minimum good stuff and think of the feints as future good booze .
Eddie Haskel
Novice

Post by Eddie Haskel »

Thanks for the info, I have been a beer and wine maker for 25 years and new to this. I did see other recipes that shoot for about 1.080 for their SG reading. (but they do have sugar in theirs so I'm sure that's the difference) Hopefully it turns out well. If not I can just use it for faints in the next batch. I'll post what I get for a ending SG in a few days.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No reason why you cant add more molasses now if you want .....it will just take off again.
Eddie Haskel
Novice

Post by Eddie Haskel »

Going on the 4th day now and I just took a reading and it was 1.023 and its still fermenting. That gives me 7% wash so far.
Saltbush, you asked why I needed more water. I guess I really did not other than being a cheap SOB and trying to get a bit more out of it. Seems to have worked out this time. Thanks for the recipe!
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Giving this recipe a try, thanks Salt Bush Bill! I'm 24 hours in and it's very active. Spread between 4 buckets all going like crazy. I figured total volume at 17.25 gl for a 5 gl bucket of molasses. This is 29% molasses, it's the Golden Barrel. I've got enough molasses for 5 more runs, so I'm thinking I won't put up this first round, I'll add a large part of it to my second generation. Then maybe take whatever is left of it for the third. My boiler holds 26gl, if each run is 17.25 gl. I'll preserve head space by only adding a gallon or so. I'm interested in how the generational quality will improve. I'm going to run it through three plates with the 4" CCVM setup I've cobbled together. Running UJSSM it pulls great at 85-90% out the parrot. Figured this would be similar. I could add a plate, or go down to 2, but I don't see a reason yet. Does this seem like a good plan? I'll keep posting.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

rolling wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:19 am I'm 24 hours in and it's very active. Spread between 4 buckets all going like crazy.
Yeah its a vigorous ferment as long as its kept warm.
rolling wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:19 am so I'm thinking I won't put up this first round, I'll add a large part of it to my second generation.
Not really sure what you mean here ?
rolling wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:19 am I could add a plate, or go down to 2, but I don't see a reason yet. Does this seem like a good plan? I'll keep posting.
Ive always used 4 plates ....but its your choice you are the one drinking it.
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Thanks! I was thinking with no backset I'd see better results in the second generation. That's why I thought I might recycle the first batch.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Its better to use the Dunder in my opinion. Part of its job is to help with PH issues.
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Thanks Salt Bush Bill, I'll be using the Dunder as you've outlined in the recipe. I'll also take your advise and run the 4th plate.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

3 Plates might be fine , do what you want in that regard.....nothing ventured nothing gained.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Salty I thought you were off ya rocker when you suggested using a Gerni to mix the Molasses and hot dunder.

But its just so easy
If you all aren’t doing it , you have to start
Just keep the end in the wash while you’re pulling the trigger :D
:thumbup:
E3DBF75D-F27B-4244-B189-F8FAA109B6F5.jpeg
NJen
Swill Maker

Post by NJen »

I remember watching a youtube video about a commercial rum distillery that did the same thing Yummy. I can't remember which one, but it wasn't a large setup, they had 2 like maybe 250 gallon fermenters. It looked like a pretty good idea. One of these days I'll pick up a cheapo pressure washer but for the moment I have been using a stainless "canoe paddle" stir stick that has served me well, albeit to my added effort.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:53 pm Salty I thought you were off ya rocker when you suggested using a Gerni to mix the Molasses and hot dunder.
I know your not the first, and I'm sure you wont be the last. :crazy: :crazy:
Works good hey! :ebiggrin:
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Well Bill, my wash appears to have run just fine. It's stopped fizzing and tastes very dry. I'll run the still Sunday.
Thanks!
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

First batch distilled, next one is fizzing away. I really like the process of this recipe. I switched to one 35 gallon Rubbermade barrel for my fermenter, this will make it much easier I think. Lots of headroom and easy to keep warm. Love the smell of my jars, I'll make my cuts later in the week.
viking1
Novice

Post by viking1 »

SBB - best Rum Recipe ever!!
Been running the same rum recipe for years now
Cheers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Glad you like it and that its turning out well for you Viking. :thumbup:
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

I''m running my 4th batch now and I must say it's been a great experience. I plan on running 3 more batches, then I should have a enough to let it sit a good long time. I'm pulling it off at 82% give or take with three plates in my 4" CCVM column. I've been saving dunder in 5 gallon buckets, after a couple of weeks it starts to get interesting looking, figure that's good. I have two fermenters and start a new batch every week as I run one. These are big batches, based on a 5 gl. bucket of molasses. That gives each batch two weeks to finish off. Since my dunder is cool I top up with hot water to reach fermenting temp. I've cheated a bit and tried different nutrients, tomato paste, vitamins, epsom salt... can't see any difference at this point. I would really recommend this recipe to anyone, especially if you want to get to know your still. Molasses isn't that prohibitive price wise if you look at the big picture. Thanks Bill!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Good to see your enjoying making and distilling this recipe Rolling. What are your plans for oaking ?
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Thanks Bill, I've got white oak I've cut into 1x1x5 inch pieces, then toasted in the oven, then charred fairly lightly on one side. I've put one in each jar with 6 cups of product in it. It's a half gallon jar so there's head room. I'm currently working on lid development. Would like to have a barrel system like yours, hoping to get there someday.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I tend steer clear of any char in rums......I prefer toasted only. Have experimented a lot with different toast levels and wood types French/ American.
I always end up liking medium toast American oak best.
French to me gives the spirit to much of a sweet taste.....it's each to thier own in that regard I guess.
Find and do what you like.
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Will try Bill! I've got plenty of oak and rum.
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Bill, can I freeze some of this dunder in gallon jugs for later? I've accumulated quite a bit. I'll be running more, but would like to take a break and run some in a few months.
I put the last batch up on just toasted oak.