uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by Dnderhead »

I would not go to high you will git off flavors . I my self would not go higher
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

From what I hear people aim for a starting specific gravity of no higher than 1.080 and do not ferment wash above 12% to avoid off flavors. Some prefer even lower SG and like a wash to ferment out to no higher then 8% for flavor purposes but lower starts to be too much of a productivity sacrifice... somewhere in the 8-12% range you should find something that suits you.

From what I hear at least.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

StabbyJoe wrote: Some prefer even lower SG and like a wash to ferment out to no higher then 8% for flavor purposes but lower starts to be too much of a productivity sacrifice...
Depends on how ya look at it.

Say on the same day someone starts a 18% sugarwash and someone else starts a 12% sugar wash and I start a 7 or 8% sugarwash.

24 to 30 hrs later my primary fermentation is done and ready to be run. I can now start another wash on my yeast cake and have it done in 24 to 30 hrs. The first wash I ran is super clean from fermentin' easy at a low AVB% so it only needs to be aired out over night. The next mornin' I cut the booze to drinkin' strength, run the second batch, start a new batch on the yeast cake, and air out the second batch overnight. The next mornin' I cut the second batch to drinkin' strength, run the third batch, start a new wash on the yeast cake, and air out the third batch...

The next mornin' it's possible that the 12% ferment will be done, if not it'll be done in a day or two. This mornin' I'm cuttin' to drinkin' strength the THIRD batch, runnin' the FOURTH batch, and startin' the FIFTH wash. All while the 12% wash is maybe finishin' fermentin', and the 18% wash could be as much a s a few weeks from finishin'. At this point I have twice the alcohol that the guy doin' the 12% was has, and I have now 150% the alcohol the guy that started the 18% wash will have in a few weeks, not to mention my low ABV% washes are fermentin' cleaner more pure ethanol that won't need any carbon treatment.

So, to wrap it up, I see yer point, but I have to disagree that low ABV% washes/mashes are " too much of a productivity sacrifice".
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

You've also used 5 times the gas/electricity (if they've used none) to boil 5 times the liquid, and 3 runs to two in the long run on the mid wash so i guess that's whats meant by 'productivity', an economical thing?

Not arguing for one side or the other (i'm happy with what i'm doing, low alch washes) just pointing out the gas thing.
theholymackerel
retired

True... definately more fuel for strippin' washes. No more fuel for a spirit run.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

If Iv got a good amount I use wood to strip with ( heat fluctuations do not mater as much) then do the spirit run with gas
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

Fair enough, THM... I can definitely see where you're coming from.

I just got through reading every post in this thread to this point in one sitting. My brain has pretty much turned to mush, but it was useful. Anyone who can be stuffed should consider reading it all, especially newbies like myself.
You might not want to do it in one sitting, though. :roll:

I'ma go get a drink. I'm sure I've earned it :lol:
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

one thing - prob a dumb question (don't blame me, I'm sick!)
Does it matter if you're using stripping or spirit run backset?
Done a lot of thinking and it just leads in circles... But ten that may just be because I'm sick lol
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

strping run , spit run can be nasty
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

Thanks.

Thought about the nasty backset off a spirit run, but also thought that it might be similar to what comes off UJ's still since it goes to a high proof on the first run.
Now I see that thinking that was a bit dumb, as in the strip then spirit run method, you'd remove backset before the spirit run and then... yeah.

Plus it wouldn't make sense in terms of when you start ferments to use spirit run backset...

Thanks.
'twas a dumb question, but sometimes you need to hear someone else tell you the answer to make before you will realise that... :lol:
carlos castenada
Novice

Post by carlos castenada »

hi all.

advice needed please, started ujsm with my reflux with packing out with a 25 ltr wash. stripped and then ran each gen through a small pot still i have. made cuts diluted and bottled, i now am on with 5th gen busy fermenting.
was a little concerned at the lack of taste on the 2 gen but carried on. started to think that my product no way matched the other descriptions and posts. i now belive that the colum haas stripped most of the flavours out.

built myself a pot still at work today (not bad getting paid to build a still) behind the bosses back.

my question is what should i do with earlier product should i put it down to experience and keep to one side and run it through my reflux to make a neutral, and start a fresh with my 5th gen ?.

or maybe add it to the striping run on the 5th gen ?.

thanks all. cc :?:
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

If your 'fluxed stuff doesn't have enough taste, dump it in with your 5th gen wash and do a spirit run. (Run slow and make good cuts).
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

StabbyJoe wrote:Thanks.

Thought about the nasty backset off a spirit run, but also thought that it might be similar to what comes off UJ's still since it goes to a high proof on the first run.
Generally start at 162-168 proof after foreshots are discarded.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
carlos castenada
Novice

Post by carlos castenada »

what amount of backset do you's use out there :?:

started using 25% now use 37%. does any use a 50/ 50 backset?. how does to compare in flavour ?.
John L. Pettimore
Novice

Post by John L. Pettimore »

What is the largest beginning mash, in terms of gallons, that any of you fellers have ever done for a UJSM? Just curious. I currently have only two six-gallon fermenting buckets that I use, and I was thinking of getting a blue, food grade 30 gallon barrel in which to ferment UJSMs. I've searched the forums for "fermentation vessels," and seen that many of you use the Rubbermaid garbage cans. Are y'all running lots of UJSMs or all grain washes in those, or what? My still is a 35 qt stainless stockpot (flour paste seal, 1"x24" copper "column", 3/4" lyne arm into a 3/8" i.d. 20 ft. copper coil, no column packing, no reflux; rudimentary, I know, but it has gotten the job done so far), so it will easily hold a 6 gallon charge, and it strikes me that it may be pointless to buy such a large fermenter with the size of still I'm running. I haven't done a UJSM yet, just several sugar (dextrose) washes and some corn likker from the Moonshine! book. Would it be worth my while to buy a fermenting vessel of that size (30 gal) or larger for the UJSMs, or should I stick with the fermenting buckets I have? Oh, and if anyone is tempted to ask why I used a 1" column, it's because I found what I think was a good way, with 1" fittings, to attach the "column/head" to the stockpot lid, without having to do any brazing. It is leak free, and works, and was much less expensive than 2" pipe and fittings. I was in graduate school when I started this hobby, so money was tight, and I had to do it as economically as possible. Anyhow, just felt the need to explain that. Anyone have any insight on the fermenter thing?

*Edit: I posted this in this forum because my primary question concerns what quantities are feasible or advisable for a rookie just starting to get into the UJSM.
Grandaddy ran the whiskey in a big block dodge,
bought it at an auction at the Masons' Lodge
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I run UJSM in a 80 litre fermenter in 70l batches nowadays.

That gives me two 35 litre charges for my 50l beerkeg still. This is manageable for me to either strip twice on a weekend, once after work and once the next day, or even twice of an evening if i feel like sitting up.

It only takes two cycles to give me 24l low wines and 4l of wash and a few litres of last runs feints to run a spirit run.

VeryQuickWayToFillaBarrellPunkin :wink:
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

carlos castenada wrote:what amount of backset do you's use out there :?:

started using 25% now use 37%. does any use a 50/ 50 backset?. how does to compare in flavour ?.
50% was too much for my taste if I recall but it's been a few years. I used to go with 30-35% usually, never really was too precise in my measurements.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I would say that your 2nd generation, using 50% would be fine. However, after that, I would suggest dropping down, and only using 25%. I tried pushing the backset (hoping for more flavor) out of one run last year. I was using 45-50% each time. After the forth or fifth generation, things started to slow down. About the 8th or so, it was REALLY slow, and almost appeared to be stuck (it was not, just really slow fermentation). I did not have a PH kit at the time, but now I am very sure that the PH was simply way too acidic, and caused yeast problems. I also found the taste to not be what I was hoping for.

But doing 50% followed by 25% works like a charm. When you get 6+ generations, even at 25%, I would recommend keeping an eye on the PH. If it gets too low, then add something to raise the PH. Calcium carbonate works for me ("Caltrate" brand pills are what I have used). I like to start out in the PH of 4 to 4.5 range. A little lower will not hurt, but much lower will slow things down a lot. With the backset method of sour mash, you should have little to worry about, about having the PH too high (above ph 5). If you follow the recipe, it will not get that high.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
superlee83
Novice

Post by superlee83 »

In the recipe it says to use "Distillers Yeast if available"

I was wondering what brand distillers yeast you guys use as I want my first run to be as close to the recipe as i cant get.

Lee
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

If you're looking for more of the flavour to come through Husker, try using tween ten and twenty percent fresh wash mixed into your strip before running a spirit run. A method i learnt by mistake when Gonzo puked on me, but a lesson i took to heart nonetheless.

Works on all washes, on valuable ones like allgrains or allfruits i use tween seventy and eighty percent wash to strip and on my mollasses base washes i'm getting into now i plan on using tween forty and fifty percent wash/low wines ratio to keep the flavour up.

superlee83 wrote:In the recipe it says to use "Distillers Yeast if available"

I was wondering what brand distillers yeast you guys use as I want my first run to be as close to the recipe as i cant get.

Lee
Lee, i use a llallemand distiller yeast called Danstil C , it's a high temp distillers yeast that's happy over thirty degrees C and works just fine up to 40 C.
superlee83
Novice

Post by superlee83 »

Thanks Punkin, I went down to the wine/brew shop today to see if they had it and it was a no-go... I did get some SuperStart Distillers Yeast by Crosby & Baker and some EC-1118, both seem to pretty popular around the forums. Since this is gonna be my first go at distilling im gonna try both at the same time in 2 separate 5 gallon batches and follow the UJSM directions exactly and hopefully it'll all come out alright. Ive been reading these forums non-stop for what seems like weeks trying to get a handle on this stuff, head is hurting from imformation overload....its time to just dive in and start learning from my mistakes!!!!! If I can ill make a thread in the noobie forums and show my progress with each!

Lee
theholymackerel
retired

Use the C and B Distillers yeast. That stuff tastes great with grain.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I think the Crosby & Baker is what I have and I agree with THM. I did order some KV-1116 with my last malt order just to try it because of the temperature tollerance as it's gonna be fall soon and temps here will be between 50-90 sometimes within a day.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
superlee83
Novice

Post by superlee83 »

Today I took the plunge and started my first 2 UJSM mash's!!!! Pretty much followed UJSM to the tee.....5 gallons water, 7 pounds cracked corn(tractor supply brand), 7 pounds sugar(food lion brand) and distillers yeast (superstart by c&b) and I did add some yeast nuts (fermax). Hopefully everything goes to plan.

Lee
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

Hey guys

I've got my first UJSM going now. Fermenting seems to have finished but I'm wondering how clear I should expect this to get before I run it? Clear like you can see the corn in the bottom of the fermenter? or will it not get that clear? I used ec-1118
Thanks
David
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

SuperDavid wrote:Hey guys

I've got my first UJSM going now. Fermenting seems to have finished but I'm wondering how clear I should expect this to get before I run it? Clear like you can see the corn in the bottom of the fermenter? or will it not get that clear? I used ec-1118
Thanks
David

I just run it as soon as it finnishes.
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

ahh ok I was under the impression that yeast in the boiler would make funny tastes.

thanks punkin
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if you burn it ,of coarse anything in their burnt wont be good.
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

ok thanks
now all I have to do is figure out how to run it without burning it!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I thank if you pore it in the boiler and run it so it does not have time to settle, you will have no problem. I do not