uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aceswired
Swill Maker

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by aceswired »

1 liter? I'm all for encouraging new guys, bb but 1 liter? Not sure that's gonna make you anything. Doubt you'll get a drinkable drop.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

glassstill wrote:hi there everyone :D I just got a glass still the "pot" is 1 liter and I was wondering what is the best quick mash and can you use corn meal? im wanting to cook up some high powered ethyl to run in my motorized bike LOL no just love watching moonshiners and thought I would try a batch and see if it comes out right using glassware instead of VERY EXPENSIVE COPPER. please let me know what I need to make a batch using corn meal

everything you need to know is right here:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975

(yes you need to know all of it.)

introductions are usually made here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=27
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

I just finished reading from the start. It has 3 weeks and I am now on gerneration 5, 6 and 5. I stsrted 3 washes at the same time one 33 gal, one 12 gal one 8 gal. Somfar so good. Been using around around 50% backset, and now have 3, 3 gallon containers aging. I used flishmans in the big fermenter and lavilins in the other two. Both seem good. I have found mine ferment in about 4 days. My water has a tonne of calcium in it already but I did toss a couple cal-mag pills in it today, just cuz. I am using jack daniels smoking chips in two containers and bourbon barrel chunks in another. Both from canadian tire. Been enjoying this even tho we really only drink vodka (which we make) just think it will be cool that in a few years, this may be something fantastic. Ps I am less than 30 too!
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

I just finished reading from the start. It has 3 weeks and I am now on gerneration 5, 6 and 5. I stsrted 3 washes at the same time one 33 gal, one 12 gal one 8 gal. Somfar so good. Been using around around 50% backset, and now have 3, 3 gallon containers aging. I used flishmans in the big fermenter and lavilins in the other two. Both seem good. I have found mine ferment in about 4 days. My water has a tonne of calcium in it already but I did toss a couple cal-mag pills in it today, just cuz. I am using jack daniels smoking chips in two containers and bourbon barrel chunks in another. Both from canadian tire. Been enjoying this even tho we really only drink vodka (which we make) just think it will be cool that in a few years, this may be something fantastic. Ps I am less than 30 too!
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

Once i started this recipe, i went all in. I ferment in 3 differant open containers, heated by fish tank submersible heaters. I use no lid, one is a trash bin, one is a recycling bin and one is a brew shop fermenter. They are in my basement and it has been working great. Also I use a tranfer pump to empy my fermenters. Racking cane is way too slow! I used whole "prostock" corn and half "prostock" cracked corn. I havent changed my corn yet. It still looks good after 5-7 gen. This has been a great recipe to learn to pot still, after having done refux stilling for about 2 years. Now I have so much whisky, which I may never drink, im gonna start running this recipe though my vm, but fast. I think I will get a tasty vodka-ish drink. Thanks you evey one for contributing their experiances. I feels so lucky mine went smooth after ready how some guys had trouble!
! Ps I hope titus-a-fishus finally got his flavor. Mine is strong!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Do your blending sober.
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

NZChris wrote:Do your blending sober.
And posting! :lol:
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

What kind of yeast does everyone use for ujssm ?
I tried bread yeast but wasent the best
Alcohol cant help your problems , but nether does water.
whitewaterqb
Novice

Post by whitewaterqb »

i use red star bakers yeast seems to work great
It's like a sore dick...Tough to beat!!
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I always have good luck with distillers yeast
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I like my dady
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

What kind of problems are you having with bread yeast? It should work fine as long as yer abv is 12% or less. It likes high temps, 85ish. Do you aerate the wash? Yeasties like lots of oxygen to start, then choke em to get them to make alcohol! :)
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

When I first started 1118. Switched to flieschmans ADY (bakers yeast). Both worked well. I stick with the bakers because it is way cheaper. Yeast is a small part to your ferment. Temp, pH, nutrients, potential ABV are also key.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

I just piked up us-05 which I heard gives a nice taste. The guy at the hbs said us-04 which is the European version apparently gives a very fruity taste, gonna try that next.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Yes both are nice. US-05 will give you a little better yield, ferments real thorough and clean. US-04 is an English ale that throws more esters. Cuts get tricky, fermentation not as deep, but a nice flavor too. Definitely try them both on the same recipe here and see what you think.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
NattyBoh
Bootlegger

Post by NattyBoh »

Please help...I ran a 5 gal spirit run (38%) of UJ (combined gens 1,2 and 3 strips) on Saturday. Ran it nice and slow thru my pot still. Collected 30 300ml jars. Jars 1-4 were 79% and 179F. Jars 5-9, 80 and 179. Jars 10-12, 79 and 179. 13-16, 78 and 180. Jars 17-21 dropped a % w each jar and +1 degree on each. At jar 22 and beyond, went from 72% and 185 down to 40% and 200 at jar 30. The bad/cardboard smell never came and the oily feeing didn't show up until jar 26. I realize cuts are a personal thing but I admit I don't have the most discerning palate. I don't want to be greedy regarding volume but I don't want to toss good hooch...but can any rough cut suggestions be given from the info provided? Middle third? Middle half? Plan is to oak for several months. Thx.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I read this page from Kiwi a couple of times before I sit down to do cuts.... I do it ALL by taste.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=11640

See if that helps
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
NattyBoh
Bootlegger

Post by NattyBoh »

Thanks Ric. I've read it many times I just have difficulty picking up the subltiies from jar to jar. Especially from heads to hearts and with this run since the smelly cardboard isn't there for the tails.
NattyBoh
Bootlegger

Post by NattyBoh »

Thanks Ric. I've read it many times I just have difficulty picking up the subltiies from jar to jar. Especially from heads to hearts and with this run since the smelly cardboard isn't there for the tails.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

NattyBoh, Make sure you are doing your spirit runs really slow with that pot still.
I think cuts are the hardest part of this hobby. And using a pot still doesnt make it easier. I read somewhere (on here) about a rough rough guide would be
3% Fores
17% Heads
60% Hearts
20% Tails
Not counting what comes out less than 40%. I cant tell you enough that this is a ROUGH guide. Your mileage WILL vary.
My struggle is that I cant tell enough of a difference between jars right next to each other. I can try one in the middle and tell the difference to one 4 jars down, but trying to find that cut off point is a struggle. But practice makes perfect huh?
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

NattyBoh wrote:Thanks Ric. I've read it many times I just have difficulty picking up the subltiies from jar to jar. Especially from heads to hearts and with this run since the smelly cardboard isn't there for the tails.
The eyeball test - I've heard of this, but never tried it - even saw it done on the TV show, "Booze Traveler" once. Anyway, put a small amount in something like a champagne flute and place the opening of the glass around your eyeball. If it has heads in it, it will sting your eyeball. Careful not to get the liquid in your eye.

I can usually detect heads by the sting on my tongue. Put the sample in your mouth and swish it around a bit. Like you, I had a hard time detecting the transition from heads to hearts. Hearts to tails is fairly obvious. It'll take some practice, but I'm sure you'll get there. Just keep in mind that a little late heads won't ruin your blend. Some folks even include a little for the flavor.

Posted while Ranger_ric was posting.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
NattyBoh
Bootlegger

Post by NattyBoh »

Thanks Ric and S-C
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

The eye test works ok. Tried it. But if ya have fruit flies, them buggers LOVE heads. If you have a coffee filter over your jars airing, you'll notice the jars with most heads attract more fruit flies, and less of them little buggers the closer you get to hearts. I think it's the acetate that attracts them. I've seen them congregate like mad around a bottle of nail polish remover (acetone...very similar).

Haven't been able to use them to help me this year yet. Too cold in my shed for them, and wife sees one in the house and she is damn near fumigating (she hates them more than T-Pee does)

If you have a lady in your life, have her help detect cut points. Women have better olfactory receptors generally speaking.

And don't run a pot still too slow. Drips are for bokas, even on a spirit run. A fine stream bout the size of a regular pencil lead is good for spirit runs on pot still. It's a pot still...it's gonna smear, it's what it's good at, and useful IMO for making nice flavored spirits like whiskey, rum, brandy.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

FRUIT FLIES !! Jolly Good Idea.. I got those.. My fores jar I usually set on a shelf without a lid. It will usually kill about 10 fruit flies a day. And I have noticed just a few on the jars on the left when I line them up to start my cuts.
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

ranger_ric wrote:FRUIT FLIES !! Jolly Good Idea.. I got those.. My fores jar I usually set on a shelf without a lid. It will usually kill about 10 fruit flies a day. And I have noticed just a few on the jars on the left when I line them up to start my cuts.
Don't rely entirely on them, but add as another tool in the arsenal. After a year, I find my senses getting better. Also helps I quit smoking lol.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

fruit flies are awesome heads detectors. i don't get any til august this far north. the eye test works. and the % guideline works.
by the numbers i'd almost for sure cut anything earlier and including #5, maybe #6. after it's been sitting over night , you will see oil on the tails. I'd almost for sure cut anything after the first seen with oil. usually the first couple of tails are stinky, then sometimes you get a sweet smelling/tasting one...if you do, and you like it filter the oil off by running through a paper towel and add a small amount to a small portion of the hearts you collect. if you like it, keep doing it. if you don't...stop!

if you take the jars outside to smell them, where there is other odours, you smell differences better. In a room full of booze, it all smells like booze. heads are easy to smell once you identify them... and your nose isn't burnt out from smelling booze in a closed area.

now i drink for evil.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

I'm slowly getting the hang of making cuts. Always more to learn though. I start with known hearts. Tasting each direction toward the tails end first. To me they are the hardest to figure. Then the same toward the heads. First sign of tongue sting I'm done. For me the blending is the hard part, so I dont do it. Once I cut out the heads and yucky tails it all goes together. Usually average out to cask strength. I probably could squeeze out a little more product but that's the beauty of this. I'll just make more. ;)
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I will add - ABV can also be helpful. I wouldn't suggest relying on it alone, but it can provide some helpful markers for determining generally where transitions may occur. Generally speaking, I would usually see a drop of 3 or 4 ABV percentage points between heads and hearts. The ABV would somewhat level out over the collection of hearts and then fairly drastically drop again when tails start. As with anything, there are always exceptions to this. On one occasion I actually saw the ABV go up when it transitioned from heads to hearts. This could have been caused by something as simple as an adjustment to the controller at a crucial point - don't know.

That said, I don't do ABV of cuts jars anymore. My eyesight is such that it's too difficult and I've gotten better at using my other senses to perform cuts. And, like I said before, don't rely on it. It can be helpful if coupled with the other senses - taste, smell, and touch, but should never be used as the sole method.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
New Shiner
Novice

Post by New Shiner »

Just wondering. I found the info once before but I am unable to find it now. There was a post that told how to do cuts by proof. Can anyone tell me where to find that again?
N-S
Keep em drippin
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

New Shiner wrote:Just wondering. I found the info once before but I am unable to find it now. There was a post that told how to do cuts by proof. Can anyone tell me where to find that again?
goin'out on a limb here and saying: nope. not on a potstill. a hint maybe.... if a guideline it would be rough. actual rule of thumb? not a chance, not in my experience. maybe on a plated column, but i think there would be a discussion for that on the plated column thread, but i got nuthin' for you on a plated rig. What kind of equipment are you on?

now i drink for evil.