uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by raketemensch »

I just couldn't find slaked lime anywhere locally. Would pelletized limestone work?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

raketemensch wrote:I just couldn't find slaked lime anywhere locally. Would pelletized limestone work?
Its not the same thing....limestone is calcium carbonate (like oyster shells). Slaked lime (pickling lime) is calcium hydroxide.

The hydroxide is a much stonger (reactive) base than the carbonate. Calcium carbonate will work, but much slower, to neutralize the acids.

Try looking in the grocery store for "pickling lime"....it's food safe calcium hydroxide. But remember, it is stronger than the calcium carbonate (limestone), so add a little at a time (rehydrate it in a little water first) and check the pH. You'll soon know how much is the "magic dose".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

still_stirrin wrote:
raketemensch wrote:I just couldn't find slaked lime anywhere locally. Would pelletized limestone work?
Its not the same thing....limestone is calcium carbonate (like oyster shells). Slaked lime (pickling lime) is calcium hydroxide.

The hydroxide is a much stonger (reactive) base than the carbonate. Calcium carbonate will work, but much slower, to neutralize the acids.

Try looking in the grocery store for "pickling lime"....it's food safe calcium hydroxide. But remember, it is stronger than the calcium carbonate (limestone), so add a little at a time (rehydrate it in a little water first) and check the pH. You'll soon know how much is the "magic dose".
ss
The barrel (32g) has had over a pound of powdered/dissolved calcium carbonate in it for about 2 weeks now, and the ph didn't budge, it's somewhere between 2 and 3. I'll dig around for pickling lime, but I hadn't been able to find it so far.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Try building supplies. My local buys it by the pallet load and this is just a small country town.
WTD
Novice

Post by WTD »

hey all, just about to dive into cracked corn grains with this recipe

Just grabbed 20kg of all natural cracked corn and am wanting to give this a go. i want to spread it over 3 ferments rather than 2 and a bit given im doing 50L ferments so can i divide it by 3 making it 6.6kg of cracked corn per 50l ferments. maybe, after some advice...

Is this alright considering the original recipe used 8.4kg per 50l. I was thinking that the amount of sugar in the original recipe wash matched the amount of corn grains, ie 3.2kg sugar and 3.2kg corn, if i lower the corn to 6.6 do i then lower the sugar content also to 6.6kg, will it taste the same as the original recipe or will it be weak? does sugar content also affect the flavour carry over, im thinking myself maybe it might be same since im lowering sugar content. Wanting to put this down tomorrow the very latest, today wold be good.

Cheers
WTD
Working on my 7th still, a 6" on a big boiler with a lot of gas power
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

more sugar creates more alcohol, which thins the flavour.

That said if you keep the ratios the same, the flavour should be close to the same.

at the size you are talking, you should have a OG of 1.05, producing 7.8% alcohol, according to rad's calcs on the parent site... should be a nice clean fast ferment.
http://homedistiller.org/calcs/rad14701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

WTD wrote:hey all, just about to dive into cracked corn grains with this recipe

Just grabbed 20kg of all natural cracked corn and am wanting to give this a go. i want to spread it over 3 ferments rather than 2 and a bit given im doing 50L ferments so can i divide it by 3 making it 6.6kg of cracked corn per 50l ferments. maybe, after some advice...
Are you sure you understand the method? UJSSM does not use the original amount of corn in subsequent generations
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Just dip it out down to the top of the grain bed.
About 4-5' of water hose works as a siphon also.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
WTD
Novice

Post by WTD »

Yea i understand, was going to use new grain each time but ive realised i don need to now, just to discard spent grain. Cheers guys.

also i use a siphon from a HBS always and attach it so it never goes into the shit on the bottom so i will do this again.

Only thing im going to do different is simmer at boiling point the corn for a hour or so to try extract a little more first time but i will most likely use the first batch as a vodka if it is weak.

Next few gens ill be adding in barley and either wheat or rye, rye preferably but its so much more expensive than wheat here in Australia.
Working on my 7th still, a 6" on a big boiler with a lot of gas power
Doc Holliday
Novice

Post by Doc Holliday »

I'm not sure about corn. I read both ways. I want to start my wash so I went to tractor supply and picked up 50 lbs. of cracked corn and sweet feed. Trying them both. Got to reading and it says it has preservites. Use it or not. I've seen it both ways in reading.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Use it

Deo Vendice

rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

corn.png
I have used hundreds of pounds of TSC cracked corn...no worries!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Doc Holliday
Novice

Post by Doc Holliday »

There it is. Ty
Doc Holliday
Novice

Post by Doc Holliday »

How about the sweet feed do you have a pic of that bag. If you use it. I started a batch then seen where it said now pellets. I bought pellets from TSC. Should I toss it.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Some have used the sweet feed with pellets,but say that the flavor isn't great and its hard to separate the liquid from the mush.
I wouldn't use it but if its already fermented and you can separate it,run it and see what you get.

Deo Vendice

wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Ive made quite a few generations of uj last year. Still have it untouched on oak. What i left white ive been using for "insert your fruit here" pie. I think the aged uj is great, but with fruit it seems to get a bitter taste. I think the corn flavors dont jive well with some fruits like blue or raspberry. Strawberry and apple was good.

Anyhow.....i run a pot still that can go as pot, single or double thumper. Woild i be better off to maybe triple run the uj diluted with water for the mixer likker or just go with a sugar wash for that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

So quick question. Do I stir my mash and aerate after adding my backsets and sugar?
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

newbie1982 wrote:So quick question. Do I stir my mash and aerate after adding my backsets and sugar?
Yes,stir like hell,boiled backset is oxygen depleted.

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Wtfdskin,
For something to add fruit flavor to read odins cornflakes thread but substitute rice crispies for the cornflakes. Hit it with a yeast bomb. Comes out relatively neutral flavored for a pot still. For apple pie try rum.

Deo Vendice

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

newbie1982 wrote:So quick question. Do I stir my mash and aerate after adding my backsets and sugar?
I aerate the makeup water, dump the backset onto the sugar, add the makeup water to get my desired OG, wait for the temperature to come right for my yeast, then dump it onto 2/3rds of the trub and new corn and stir the bejeesus out of it for some more aeration.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Something that ife been doing lately is when I remove some spent grains I make sure to get some of the yeast bed and freeze it to use later in yeast bombs.
Jbt

Deo Vendice

newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

well i messed something up!!!!
so i finished my first run used my backsets to dissolve my sugar let it cool and filled my bucket back up back up.
i think i might have added to much sugar my OG reading is 1.082
am i going to be ok or do i need to do something???
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

The backset rised the OG. Everything is ok. It is not sure if the sugar of the backset is fermentable. If not you will end with the same abv like always. Or you get a bit more. It's all fine.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

so will my FG be higher also?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It could be lower.
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

WOW this thing has taken off like a rocket. got home about 3 hours after i put the air pump in. it's a 50 gallon fermenting barrel so im using a rubber grommet and some half inch cpvc pipe into a one gallon bucket full of water and it is bubbling so hard its shaking the pipe and little bucket
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

newbie1982 wrote:so will my FG be higher also?
Yes, if the sugar from the backset is still unfermentable. Probably it is unfermentable, because while stilling you cooked the mash and liquified the starch, but there were no enzymes to crack it down further. Liquified starch rises the gravity reading. Both before and after fermentation.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

It's not necessary to boil the corn and is not a part of the recipe.

tp
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

ok so if there is liquid starch left in my backsets can i add some of this powder amalyse emzyme ive had sitting for a while when it cools to 150 degrees then add my sugar to convert some of that starch???
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

newbie1982 wrote:ok so if there is liquid starch left in my backsets can i add some of this powder amalyse emzyme ive had sitting for a while when it cools to 150 degrees then add my sugar to convert some of that starch???
Yes. But of course a real mashing process would lead to more conversion. If you have the powder at home, use it. The conversion will be limited, because the powder is only alpha-amylase probably, and probably it doesn't like the low pH of the backset very well.

Hey, Merry Christmas friends!!!