uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by T-Pee »

And since sugar is involved, it's a "wash". All-grain brewing is a "mash".

tp
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

But T-Pee: "Mash" sounds WAAAAAAYYYYYY cooler!!!

Most of My second batch of drinkable UJ was given away as gifts. I used nice fancyish bottles (Crown Royale) and printed glossy labels saying:

"Uncle Jesse's Sour Barley Mash Whisky"

(I substitute chopped barley for the corn)

When describing the process, I did tell everyone that the fermented product was technically called a wash... But thereafter I just referred to it as a mash... Cuz it sounds better!!! -and also cuz 'round here, 'wash' generally means 'failure'

Lol!!!

I have to say, I love - ABSOLUTELY LOVE- - UJSSM (or at least my barley version... Never made or tasted anything else except 20 litres of Chardonnay I distilled once)

BUT I always sort if feel a little like a cheater... The alcohol is all granulated sugar and while the barley adds a nice mild Irish flavour, it ain't required! The nutrients can just as easily come from elsewhere!!!

Somehow it feels like using sugar is something to be ashamed of. But damn I like it, it's easy, high volume and let's me focus my mental energy on learning to make my cuts better and better.
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

I can't learn cutting and ag mashing at the same time!!! It's like, every time I learn something new, I forget something old.

.... Like that time I learned how to make beer, and I forgot how to drive my car! ...oh wait...
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Scribbler wrote:Somehow it feels like using sugar is something to be ashamed of. But damn I like it, it's easy, high volume and let's me focus my mental energy on learning to make my cuts better and better.
Exactly how I feel. Yeah, an AG might be a higher level in this hobby but it also takes more time and effort...neither of which I want or feel like doing. I'm enjoying the heck out of my sugarheads. I do lots of UJ and sweet feed, gonna try Googe's Goo and a rum very soon, Tree Top apple brandy is stupid simple and works just fine without even adding sugar and I'm perfectly happy with Birdwatcher's for my neutrals.

I don't in the least feel like I'm cheating because every time someone tries one of my products they get a smile on their face. 'Nuff said. :relaxed:

tp
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

:-)
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

As a reminder, keep an eye on your pH. I caught mine at ~3.2 this evening so I tossed a couple handfuls of oyster shell in the fermenter and thought I had a boilover on the way the reaction was that strong.

tp
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Where do you get oyster she'll from ? How does this differ from bicarb soda?
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

T-Pee wrote: Exactly how I feel. Yeah, an AG might be a higher level in this hobby but it also takes more time and effort...neither of which I want or feel like doing. I'm enjoying the heck out of my sugarheads. I do lots of UJ and sweet feed, gonna try Googe's Goo and a rum very soon, Tree Top apple brandy is stupid simple and works just fine without even adding sugar and I'm perfectly happy with Birdwatcher's for my neutrals.

I don't in the least feel like I'm cheating because every time someone tries one of my products they get a smile on their face. 'Nuff said. :relaxed:

tp
I am shocked to hear you haven't done a rum yet! If I may suggest, hookrum is absolutely fantastic. I dint like rum. But this, even first gen single distill off the spout I enjoyed. I then nuclear aged on some medium toasted light char ex bourbon barrel staves, then some raisin and vanilla bean, and wow! My dad who used to drink a 40 a day of rum, but quit drinking mostly, really enjoyed sipping on it.

More relevant to this thread...just finished spirit run of UJ. got about 2 1/2 gallons before tails started. I figure by the time I cut out heads and use a bit of tails and proof down, I'll have 3 gallons of good drink. Most destined for cherry, strawberry. Also some fresh raspberry I picked from my own bushes while running (set up outside by my bushes)

I agree on how good this recipe is. Although am treating myself to an AG. Finally milled my grains and if the rain holds off tomorrow mashing in. I am looking at about 7lbs rye malt, 14 lbs yellow corn because it's what I have for ten gallon mash my first try. Also going to local store where I can get a lb of barley malt for beer just to add to ensure full conversion. Looking at the DP of my rye and other ratios, I figure this will work very well. Within could get some six row though.

But....UJ double distilled can't be beat for ease, cost, taste, and flexibility of oaking, putting on fruit, or just enjoying white! I love this stuff and will always have at least a 15 gallon fermentation going! (or more... got a FREE 45 GALLON HDPE barrel coming!)
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

moosemilk wrote:
CanadianBacon wrote:cant taste alcohol in my mash on the second gen, just tastes sour. Smells like wine tho.
Sounds about right. Check your SG. Sour means little or no sugar left. You won't always taste alcohol in your wash.
Never check SG but I ran it and it gave me about 3 L for my stripping run roughly around 45% overall when I finished collecting. Kind of strange how sour mash has such overwhelming sour taste you cant taste the alcohol. I have 9 litters all together at 46% I will be doing a spirit run when I collect a full 20 litters. Going to start my 3rd generation today when i'm off work.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

crazyk78 wrote:Where do you get oyster she'll from ?
Feed store or Tractor Supply. It's used as a supplement for chickens. $4/lb.
How does this differ from bicarb soda?
It doesn't contain any salts which can build up if you're doing generational fermenting. Pure calcium.
moosemilk wrote:I am shocked to hear you haven't done a rum yet!
I'm getting there! So many great recipes, so little time, ya know? :ewink:

tp
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

One of the really nice things about ujssm is that it is a very predictable routine. Ties in well with my OCD!!
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Thanks TP
CAP
Novice

Post by CAP »

Has anyone ever had a batch that after 3 days smelled strong of vinegar? I have been making this recipe for almost a year now, I cleaned out my fermenter out started a fresh batch, started with a sg of 1.070, it is working off its down to 1.052. But the smell is pure vinegar. I did not use vinegar to clean the fermenter.
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

CAP wrote:Has anyone ever had a batch that after 3 days smelled strong of vinegar? I have been making this recipe for almost a year now, I cleaned out my fermenter out started a fresh batch, started with a sg of 1.070, it is working off its down to 1.052. But the smell is pure vinegar. I did not use vinegar to clean the fermenter.
Probably got some bacteria in there that converts ethanol into vinegar. :(
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Acetobacter. If you can get a good vinegar 'mother' going keep it! The mother is the floating blob of mold. I been trying to get one going on some cider to make some cider vinegar, and balsamic. No luck yet.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Whatever you do, don't do what I did a couple of days ago.

I checked the wash gravity and left the lid off the fermenter. Came back a day or so later and found it like that...plus a million fruit flies buzzing around the area. I'm out of town for a week and fully expect to come back to a thoroughly infected 3rd generation wash. :evil:

tp (HATES fruit flies regardless of circumstance)
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Jimbo wrote:Acetobacter. If you can get a good vinegar 'mother' going keep it! The mother is the floating blob of mold. I been trying to get one going on some cider to make some cider vinegar, and balsamic. No luck yet.
Jimbo you can buy a bottle of vinegar that still has the mother aceto in it for like 2$ at the grocery store. Had friends that did it to make balsamic vinegar.
Tpee at least if it did turn you will have plenty to clean with. I had one that smelled vinegarish ran it and it came out just fine.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

Yeh, fruit flies are carriers of that bacteria, which is why vinegar is usually fruit based, apple, grape, etc. You gotta admire the ingenuity of our early human 'shiners... "Darn! Another cask of wine ruined! Hey, this might taste pretty good drizzled on my tomatoes!" :ebiggrin:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Jimbo wrote:Acetobacter. If you can get a good vinegar 'mother' going keep it! The mother is the floating blob of mold. I been trying to get one going on some cider to make some cider vinegar, and balsamic. No luck yet.
I've made a few unintended vinegars without any effort on my part, most of them unwanted. inglishill has a very nice mother culture and I have been told that I have to send his starter culture to my daughter at the other end of NZ.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Been using this recipe for most of a year now and have had great success...but this has never happened. I reintroduced wash to my 5th gen, everything normal. I started a new batch using the right amount of corn, wash, and sugar and put the lid and airlock on while I was working on the other tub. Went and heated some wash to start my yeast, came back, and the new batch was bubbling already (added yeast anyway). Anybody have a reason for that?
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

sltm1 wrote:Been using this recipe for most of a year now and have had great success...but this has never happened. I reintroduced wash to my 5th gen, everything normal. I started a new batch using the right amount of corn, wash, and sugar and put the lid and airlock on while I was working on the other tub. Went and heated some wash to start my yeast, came back, and the new batch was bubbling already (added yeast anyway). Anybody have a reason for that?
I've never added more yeast. There's enough in there already.
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

T-Pee wrote:Whatever you do, don't do what I did a couple of days ago.

I checked the wash gravity and left the lid off the fermenter. Came back a day or so later and found it like that...plus a million fruit flies buzzing around the area. I'm out of town for a week and fully expect to come back to a thoroughly infected 3rd generation wash. :evil:

This happened to me last night, I opened up my closed fermenter and found 5-6 fruit flys in my dunder and yeast cake. Smells like vinegar not sure if it tastes like vinegar tho, I thought it was just me so I added the 7 pounds of sugar and am letting it ferment again. Is there a point to run it you think? There was white on top but I think its the flour paste, not mold.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

CanadianBacon wrote:

This happened to me last night, I opened up my closed fermenter and found 5-6 fruit flys in my dunder and yeast cake. Smells like vinegar not sure if it tastes like vinegar tho, I thought it was just me so I added the 7 pounds of sugar and am letting it ferment again. Is there a point to run it you think? There was white on top but I think its the flour paste, not mold.
why would you have flour paste in your ferment? Also, just got first infection, outside of that with beer i've done, which has only been once as i'm very thorough about sterilizing with beer. Never had a lacto, but looks to be what i've heard described. No unpleasant smell yet, SG still dropping, just slight whitish starting on cap. Actually hoping it's lacto because i've heard it can lend to some new flavors, and i'd like to experience that. If not, the garden will like it, and after sterilizing i'll turn this 20gal bucket into my AG fermenter and my 5 gallon buckets will go two for uj, two for rum, one for beer. For now lol.
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

moosemilk wrote:
CanadianBacon wrote:

why would you have flour paste in your ferment? Also, just got first infection, outside of that with beer i've done, which has only been once as i'm very thorough about sterilizing with beer. Never had a lacto, but looks to be what i've heard described. No unpleasant smell yet, SG still dropping, just slight whitish starting on cap. Actually hoping it's lacto because i've heard it can lend to some new flavors, and i'd like to experience that. If not, the garden will like it, and after sterilizing i'll turn this 20gal bucket into my AG fermenter and my 5 gallon buckets will go two for uj, two for rum, one for beer. For now lol.

flour paste is from my boiler. I had some wine get infected once. Was not pleasant tasting lol.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Nope. Not pleasing with beer either. But from everything I read If it's lacto, it's not really a bad thing when making whiskey. Time will tell!
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

moosemilk wrote:Nope. Not pleasing with beer either. But from everything I read If it's lacto, it's not really a bad thing when making whiskey. Time will tell!
Guess I will run it and see what happens. I have never given up on a batch of anything to date. Its just all in my basement waiting for when i'm desperate. I have 30 bottles rhino fart spiced apple and peach cider From 1 year ago still :P Very interesting taste.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I've been out of town for a week and it seems I may have gotten lucky. Even though I just plucked three of the little bastards out of my wash, it smells fine and is sitting at 1.006 gravity. Keepin' my fingers crossed but either way I'm going to run it.

tp
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

Ahhhh i found what looked to me a dried maggot in my wash, probaly from the corn. Any tips on this? Still good?
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

CanadianBacon wrote:Ahhhh i found what looked to me a dried maggot in my wash, probaly from the corn. Any tips on this? Still good?
I hear they're ok with a little ketchup. Why do you ask? :think:

tp
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

T-Pee wrote:
CanadianBacon wrote:Ahhhh i found what looked to me a dried maggot in my wash, probaly from the corn. Any tips on this? Still good?
I hear they're ok with a little ketchup. Why do you ask? :think:

tp
Delicious and nutritious! Tastes like chicken.
Extra added protein to feed your yeasties. No worries, you never know, it may improve your flavor.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.