uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by jedneck »

Just started gen 2 on a new set. Using a mix of corn, oats, barley, wheat, rye, quinoa and flaxseed. Starting gravity of 1.07. First gen was just corn, oats and barley.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Roy_robinsonv
Novice

Post by Roy_robinsonv »

So I got me a 50 gallon food grade barrel with a screw on lid. I plan on moving my wash into that next Friday. My question is can I freeze backset so that way I can have enough backset to start up a higher volume Of wash? I also got two spigots to put in the barrel.that way I have two different heights to collect my wash after fermentation.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Roy_robinsonv wrote:So I got me a 50 gallon food grade barrel with a screw on lid. I plan on moving my wash into that next Friday. My question is can I freeze backset so that way I can have enough backset to start up a higher volume Of wash? I also got two spigots to put in the barrel.that way I have two different heights to collect my wash after fermentation.
Freeze it or add some high proof neutral to it. Lot of the rum guys do either with a good batch of dunder between ferments.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I recently tried making a batch of 100% unmalted barley whiskey with enzymes. It was a very slimey experience. Didn't know what to do with the rest of the bag of barley. I was out of cracked corn, so I started adding the barley to the last two batches of UJ I made and I really like the flavors it adds! Nice grainy/nutty brown flavor. I'm going to keep it going. Really like the way these low wines are coming off, looking forward to a spirit run when gen 5 wraps up. :D
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Roy_robinsonv
Novice

Post by Roy_robinsonv »

moosemilk wrote:
Roy_robinsonv wrote:So I got me a 50 gallon food grade barrel with a screw on lid. I plan on moving my wash into that next Friday. My question is can I freeze backset so that way I can have enough backset to start up a higher volume Of wash? I also got two spigots to put in the barrel.that way I have two different heights to collect my wash after fermentation.
Freeze it or add some high proof neutral to it. Lot of the rum guys do either with a good batch of dunder between ferments.
thanks bro
Ohyea
Novice

Post by Ohyea »

Quick question. I'm racking 3rd gen into boiler and notice only a 1/2" of dead corn to skim off this time. I have a wide bottom fermenter with a wide footprint grain bed and usually take off a inch or more of the corn (about 1/3 of the corn gets replaced each time up until now). Everything else seems/smells fine so am I just getting to a saturation point on the corn because I added a bit more in than I needed the last 2 gens? Thanks
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Ohyea wrote:Quick question. I'm racking 3rd gen into boiler and notice only a 1/2" of dead corn to skim off this time. I have a wide bottom fermenter with a wide footprint grain bed and usually take off a inch or more of the corn (about 1/3 of the corn gets replaced each time up until now). Everything else seems/smells fine so am I just getting to a saturation point on the corn because I added a bit more in than I needed the last 2 gens? Thanks
thats about all i ever get. i'm closing gen 19. just put back what you take out, alls good. watch your PH upcoming, it's easy to get to low. stick to the recipe.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Ohyea
Novice

Post by Ohyea »

Thanks HDNB. I think I was just adding a pound or two too much each generation. I have a Milwauke ph stick but I need to calibrate it as it's brand new. If the ph is low from the backset you add some calcium carbonate or egg shells right? You check it after the backset/sugar has a hour to mix up with the water/corn?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Ohyea wrote:Thanks HDNB. I think I was just adding a pound or two too much each generation. I have a Milwauke ph stick but I need to calibrate it as it's brand new. If the ph is low from the backset you add some calcium carbonate or egg shells right? You check it after the backset/sugar has a hour to mix up with the water/corn?
yep, your on the right track. best thing is not too much backset. (no more than25%) and don't get crazy with the sugar looking for more yield.

now i drink for evil.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Since the other thread is locked and this is the active one, could this one be stickied instead?

It's extremely informative, and probably should be required reading for anyone hoping to get a good understanding of the fermentation process.
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

Has anyone tried using barley,wheat or rye in place of the corn? Would it work?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Diesel410 wrote:Has anyone tried using barley,wheat or rye in place of the corn? Would it work?
sure, why wouldn't it? the alcohol is from the sugar, the flavour from the corn. swap for barley...tastes like barley.

now i drink for evil.
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

HDNB wrote:
Diesel410 wrote:Has anyone tried using barley,wheat or rye in place of the corn? Would it work?
sure, why wouldn't it? the alcohol is from the sugar, the flavour from the corn. swap for barley...tastes like barley.
That's what I was thinking. I got a 5 gallon wash goin now. I cannot beleive tractor supply only sells cracked corn with a preservative in it . I had to settle for the last small bag at the pet store.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Diesel410 wrote:
HDNB wrote:
That's what I was thinking. I got a 5 gallon wash goin now. I cannot beleive tractor supply only sells cracked corn with a preservative in it . I had to settle for the last small bag at the pet store.

What kind of corn did they have?Ad what was I'm it that worried you? Asking for my own benefit to make sure i dont get the wrong stuff!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

StillLearning1 wrote:
Diesel410 wrote:
HDNB wrote:

What kind of corn did they have?Ad what was I'm it that worried you? Asking for my own benefit to make sure i dont get the wrong stuff!
I do beleive it was called producers pride. I do not remember what was in it but it was a preservative
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well I've only made two runs of UJ so far and they were with producers pride. Ferment went well and as far as I can tell there have been no side effects....there have been no side effects...there have been no side.... :crazy:
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

StillLearning1 wrote:Well I've only made two runs of UJ so far and they were with producers pride. Ferment went well and as far as I can tell there have been no side effects....there have been no side effects...there have been no side.... :crazy:
:lol: I'm sure it's fine . I just prefer to stay away from them. Look on the ingredients on your bag
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I will check later when I get home. I think that bag almost gone due to using it as actual chicken feed so that's why I ask to possibly avoid a bad choice for the second bag!
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

I've used Wagner's cracked corn birdseed for years and have never had a problem. Gotta pick out the sunflower seeds and give it a good rinse to be safe, but always ferments fast and tastes great, plus its the difference between a five minute drive to the hardware store or 45 minutes to Tractor Supply... :ewink:
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

I think I'm going to the thrift shop tomorrow and find a cheap blender and crack my own
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I do this all the time after an AG. The grains after making an AG still have plenty of flavor left, so after my ferment I squeeze them out, put back in the bucket with my sugar and do a UJ. I have had some really nice sugarhead come out after my rye malt/corn AG as well as booners. Great way to get the most from your grains by doing a piggyback. I use the backset from my AG run.
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

So I would just buy flaked rye or malted barley and follow the uj recipe ?
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Diesel410 wrote:So I would just buy flaked rye or malted barley and follow the uj recipe ?
I wouldn't use malted for UJ. Use your malts in an AG. Just my opinion. Waste of money to use malts in this recipe. Again, just my opinion. But ya, take whatever grain and swap it for the corn. Couple different grains for couples flavor. Just make up your 7lbs however you would like. Flaked may turn a bit mushy, but you'll still get the flavor.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Diesel410 wrote:
HDNB wrote:
That small amount of preservative is there to reduce the chance of mold and mildew during storage... It's plenty safe enough for use in fermenting because the water dilutes it to the point where it is a non-issue... Every animal that eats corn consumes that very preservative and we eat those animals and/or their byproducts so it is considered safe... No need getting your shorts in a bunch over a tiny bit of preservative... What the yeast produce during fermentation is actually far worse for you than that anyway...
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

moosemilk wrote:
Diesel410 wrote:So I would just buy flaked rye or malted barley and follow the uj recipe ?
I wouldn't use malted for UJ. Use your malts in an AG. Just my opinion. Waste of money to use malts in this recipe. Again, just my opinion. But ya, take whatever grain and swap it for the corn. Couple different grains for couples flavor. Just make up your 7lbs however you would like. Flaked may turn a bit mushy, but you'll still get the flavor.

+1 on the Moose's advise. the small amount of malt rye i have been able to find cost me 3 bucks a pound, even a 50 Lb bag of 2 row malt was over 50 bucks! ...contrast that to about 0.22 cents / LB for raw grain.

makes those liquid enzymes a bargain!

now i drink for evil.
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

Sadly, unless you're luck enuf to source your corn from one of the true organic farms, it's gonna have pesticides and preservatives on it whether marked as such or not! Rinse till the water runs clear and you'll be fine.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

I would think the preservatives have more to do with killing the yeast or slowing it down than harming us? After all we are distilling it which removes most impurities.

And as for barley substitute, I'm running a UJ with 100% pot barley right now. I have 6 row malt and peated malt on the way now for an AG single malt as well.
Fetsmith
Novice

Post by Fetsmith »

What temp should this mash be kept while fermenting?
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

temp depends on what yeast is being used.
Fetsmith
Novice

Post by Fetsmith »

Fleichmann's active dry yeast.