Taters Kahlua

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

punkin
Master Distiller
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Northern NSW Oz Trail Ya

Taters Kahlua

Post by punkin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Tater, i've been enjoying your Kahlua (one of my favourite drinks on an ice cube every blue moon) for nearly twelve months now, everyone who has tried some aged stuff has absolutely loved it and i had to go searching back through threads to find the recipe again last week.

Kahlua style Coffee Liqueur (using real coffee)
o 2 cups ground coffee beans (medium roast pure arabica beans - Blue Mountain style would be appropriate)
o 3 cups boiling water
o 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
o 1/2 cup light brown sugar
o 3 cups pure alcohol (40%abv)
o 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
o 1 tsp. glycerin
Combine boiling water and ground coffee, strain through sieve filter - basically a filtered coffee (or make it using a coffee pluger). Combine coffee and sugars, in a saucepan and heat for 5 minutes, but do not boil. Allow to cool. Stir in alcohol, vanilla, glycerin. You could try a short cut version with 10 tsp. of premium instant coffee powder (1/2 cup).
From this thread... http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =11&t=2229

If you would care to repost the recipe in the Tried and True, i believe it's truely earned a place there, it'll make it easier to find too :wink:

Anyone who likes this style of a drink is well advised to try it with real coffee (i use 1-1/2 cups of beans and slightly less sugar) , but be advised that it does need aging in the fridge or cupboard and is not for drinking the next week.







ACoupleMonthsOldItWillGiveYaABonerPunkin

User avatar
Tater
Admin
Posts: 8848
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by Tater » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Mines a little different--1/2 cup mountain blend instant coffie
o 1 cups boiling water
o 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
o 1/2 cup light brown sugar
o 5 cups pure alcohol (100-120 proof)
o 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
o 1 tsp. honey
Combine boiling water coffee, Combine coffee and sugars, in a saucepan and heat for 5 minutes, but do not boil. Allow to cool. Stir in alcohol, vanilla, honey. Age 6 months to a year .I usually make it in larger batches
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

big worm
Trainee
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by big worm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:48 am

tater....is clear bottles ok to use, the store bought stuff is a brown glass and can it be aged in a cool dark place like a pantry? and how soon could the wife taste it....6 months will kill her...lol
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait

punkin
Master Distiller
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Northern NSW Oz Trail Ya

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by punkin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:58 am

I made a batch a couplea weeks ago when i posted this thread, i had one on an ice cube yesterday arvo and it was good.
It'll get better though as it blends together more, but definately drinkable after three weeks to a month.

best bet is to make a fair bit at first, then make another batch up every couplea weeks for a month or two. If she drinks it regularly, you'll have to make it regularly, just make lots so it builds up.

big worm
Trainee
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by big worm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:06 pm

yea she likes it...also the cream liquor i got 3.5 gal of 100 proof neutral to play with. cheers
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait

User avatar
Tater
Admin
Posts: 8848
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by Tater » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:43 am

big worm wrote:tater....is clear bottles ok to use, the store bought stuff is a brown glass and can it be aged in a cool dark place like a pantry? and how soon could the wife taste it....6 months will kill her...lol
I use a small ss keg to store mine in.Dont see any reason why ya couldn't use clear glass to store it in . But like you said I would store in dark place.I think they might use the dark glass so ya cant see sediment that settles in bottom. We have drank it right after making it but age really smooths out the flavor.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

big worm
Trainee
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by big worm » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:02 pm

thanks guys.....got a galon put up will try a taste in a month just to sample 8)
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait

punkin
Master Distiller
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Northern NSW Oz Trail Ya

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by punkin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Just do another gallon in a fortnight, then 1 a month. Should keep her in tip top condition for ya. :mrgreen:

punkin
Master Distiller
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Northern NSW Oz Trail Ya

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by punkin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:51 pm

punkin wrote:Just do another gallon in a fortnight, then 1 a month. Should keep her in tip top condition for ya. :mrgreen:

Made some more this afternoon, i followed the other recipe i posted Tater, i was thinking it was your recipe, but the other ones the one that's good. :wink:

i used a little less coffee (1-1/2 cups), but still real roasted beans plunged, and a little less white sugar (1-1/4 cups).


Perfect.

User avatar
Tater
Admin
Posts: 8848
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by Tater » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:34 am

punkin wrote:
punkin wrote:Just do another gallon in a fortnight, then 1 a month. Should keep her in tip top condition for ya. :mrgreen:

Made some more this afternoon, i followed the other recipe i posted Tater, i was thinking it was your recipe, but the other ones the one that's good. :wink:

i used a little less coffee (1-1/2 cups), but still real roasted beans plunged, and a little less white sugar (1-1/4 cups).


Perfect.
One of the best parts about this hobby is taking a recipe tweaking it a bit and making it your own.Makes one wonder what the original recipe ingredients might of been.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

big worm
Trainee
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by big worm » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:38 pm

me an the ol ball and chain sampling tonite....very nice...home made kaluha and cream.....i put a splash of chocolate topping in mine ...chee :lol: rs
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait

jdonly1
Swill Maker
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Victoria/Australia

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by jdonly1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Made some of this on Sunday night,man its yummo :mrgreen: The only thing I will change for the next batch is cut the sugar back a tad,other than that its beautiful
Thanks JD

maoule
Bootlegger
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:24 am
Location: misery

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by maoule » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:08 pm

punkin wrote:Tater, i've been enjoying your Kahlua (one of my favourite drinks on an ice cube every blue moon) for nearly twelve months now, everyone who has tried some aged stuff has absolutely loved it and i had to go searching back through threads to find the recipe again last week.
Kahlua style Coffee Liqueur (using real coffee)
o 2 cups ground coffee beans (medium roast pure arabica beans - Blue Mountain style would be appropriate)
o 3 cups boiling water
o 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
o 1/2 cup light brown sugar
o 3 cups pure alcohol (40%abv)
o 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
o 1 tsp. glycerin
Combine boiling water and ground coffee, strain through sieve filter - basically a filtered coffee (or make it using a coffee pluger). Combine coffee and sugars, in a saucepan and heat for 5 minutes, but do not boil. Allow to cool. Stir in alcohol, vanilla, glycerin. You could try a short cut version with 10 tsp. of premium instant coffee powder (1/2 cup).
From this thread... http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =11&t=2229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
If you would care to repost the recipe in the Tried and True, i believe it's truely earned a place there, it'll make it easier to find too :wink:
Anyone who likes this style of a drink is well advised to try it with real coffee (i use 1-1/2 cups of beans and slightly less sugar) , but be advised that it does need aging in the fridge or cupboard and is not for drinking the next week.
ACoupleMonthsOldItWillGiveYaABonerPunkin
I tried this for the first time today with a coupla changes:
-used a french roast
-equal amounts of white and brown sugar
-honey instead of glycerin
-60% abv.
BTW it makes around 3 quarts.
I mixed a small white russian for the wife...boys, she would have raped me if I wasn't so old :D :D :D Seriously, she was crazy about it; said it made her cold better or at least not matter. If this shit gets any better with age, I'm gonna have to charge admission or make a video :twisted: :twisted:
2" Bokmini, VM and potstill heads
7.75gal. & 15.5gal electric boilers

big worm
Trainee
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by big worm » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:49 pm

i followed taters recipe exactly. its nearly 3months old and it is smooth. like black silk,first sampling at aweek or so was harsh i was afraid it might be a little headsy.....time, its just time my boys. 8)
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait

Fester
Swill Maker
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:27 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by Fester » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:51 pm

i could not stand it any longer, just HAD to make some. combined from the above recipes and using what i had on hand:

1/2 gallon Kahlua (why make less?)

1/2 pound (226 grams) best gound coffee, fine grind
6 cups (1.4 liters) boiling water
3 cups (0.7 liters) white sugar
1 cup (0.24 liters) brown sugar
1 quart (1 liter) 84% ABV shine
1 tablespoon (15 ml) glycerin
1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract


put water in small pot and bring to boil
add coffee and reduce heat
heat without boiling the coffee for 2 minutes, stir often
filter into a larger pot
add the sugars to the larger pot
heat 5 minutes, stir often, do not boil, then cool (put pot in sink of ice water)
add about 1/4 of the shine to the coffee gounds (sparging coffee flavor?)
filter into the larger pot
filter larger pot into 1/2 gallon jug
combine glycerin and vanilla into the remainder of the shine
filter into jug

shake jug, let it age for several minutes then enjoy

repeat recipe and let that one age as long as you can

this stuff is amazing good, thank you so much!
bottle was full but an angel (?) got some
bottle was full but an angel (?) got some

(yeah, some panty dropper syrup and a few pickled eggs)

mjdtexan
Novice
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:33 am
Location: The Lone Star State

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by mjdtexan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Fester wrote: 1 tablespoon (15 ml) glycerin

I know this is an old post but I am not understanding why the glycerine in Kahlua recipes. I know why it is used in winemakeing but that dont seem to apply here.

Mike

User avatar
Tater
Admin
Posts: 8848
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by Tater » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Gives it a bit of body I like using honey in place of it myself
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

mjdtexan
Novice
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:33 am
Location: The Lone Star State

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by mjdtexan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Huh, I wouldnt have thought that. Well, Now I know. Thanks for the response

Mike
Current Wine Maker.

I see you, through the glazed eyes of a barfly------Moe Szyslak

anton84
Novice
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:47 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by anton84 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:00 am

OK I just made up my first batch of Kahlua but the sugar all settled to the bottom when I mixed in the alcohol. I'm talking like half the bottle turned into this undissolved sugar mass and the rest was liquid. I followed the recipe as shown and completely dissolved the sugar over heat. The only thing I can think that I did wrong was I left the sugar on the heat for too long and it was a little caramalised. I'm thinking my problem could be a lack of liquid.

Does anyone know where I went wrong?

Cheers,
Anton

Dnderhead
retired
Posts: 13667
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by Dnderhead » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:26 am

when making sugar syrup/caramel try useing a little citric aced it will help keep the sugar from recrystallizing.
( I like citric acid* best as it adds no flavor, but lemon juice can be used)
*obtained in canning supplies.

anton84
Novice
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:47 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by anton84 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:24 pm

The main problem was too much sugar. I ended up pouring off the kahlua and actually dissolving the sugar caramel in some more alcohol to make another bottle of kahlua! Less sugar for me next time. This stuff is bloody awesome!

blind drunk
retired
Posts: 4848
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by blind drunk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:37 am

Made a batch yesterday morning and then another one last nite. Used only demerara sugar and cut the overall sugar by 50%, added the honey and twice the vanilla. It's yummy this morning. Should be delicious by Christmas. Cheers, bd.

edit - I added 200 grams of caramelized white sugar to the double batch. Seems about right.
I do all my own stunts

dixiegurl
Novice
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by dixiegurl » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:18 pm

What would be wrong with just using 3-4 cups of brewed coffee?
Thanks for the input!

blind drunk
retired
Posts: 4848
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by blind drunk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:52 pm

What would be wrong with just using 3-4 cups of brewed coffee?
One thing I noticed is that I got only about 2 cups of liquid using the amount of coffee and water call for in the recipe, about 2/3 of what I thought. Good and strong, which I think is the point because it gets diluted by the ethanol and then sweetened with the sugars. 3-4 cups of brewed coffee might make for a wimpy drink and that would be terrible.

Good luck, bd.
I do all my own stunts

big worm
Trainee
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by big worm » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:47 pm

i made the boiled coffee grind recipe instead of the instant one this time. the real coffee one is very good and nice and smooth right off the bat, both of these are great must trys.
bw
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait

blind drunk
retired
Posts: 4848
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by blind drunk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:51 pm

I've been sampling mine almost every day and it's real good. I really like the caramelized sugar flavor I added to the original recipe. I would recommend people try it. It's adds something nice to the background flavor. I also think it might be in the original; I least I think I taste it there. Next time I'll try it with a rum base. I always like the taste of coffee and rum together. Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts

new guy
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:52 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by new guy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:43 pm

We whipped up a batch of this kahula about a week ago, actually made a double batch, we couldn't wait for it to age. We shared some with the neighbors and they love it. they asked If I could cook up another batch for Christmas. Thanks for the great recipe.

skyline
Novice
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:04 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by skyline » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:27 am

So what % kahlua would this recipie make, with it using 3 cups of water and 3 cups of 40% alcohol would I be correct in assumingit will be around the 20% mark or am I way off .

Cheers

Glenn

Nightforce
Swill Maker
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by Nightforce » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:15 pm

+1 vote for the recipe on the first page.

Made up a batch tonight using honey instead of glycerin and 45% neutral. Wow, good stuff right after it's made! Next I'll try another recipe posted and see which I like better.

....off to the store for some half and half. :D

still crazy
Rumrunner
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:11 am

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by still crazy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:17 am

Fester wrote:i could not stand it any longer, just HAD to make some. combined from the above recipes and using what i had on hand:

1/2 gallon Kahlua (why make less?)

1/2 pound (226 grams) best gound coffee, fine grind
6 cups (1.4 liters) boiling water
3 cups (0.7 liters) white sugar
1 cup (0.24 liters) brown sugar
1 quart (1 liter) 84% ABV shine
1 tablespoon (15 ml) glycerin
1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract


put water in small pot and bring to boil
add coffee and reduce heat
heat without boiling the coffee for 2 minutes, stir often
filter into a larger pot
add the sugars to the larger pot
heat 5 minutes, stir often, do not boil, then cool (put pot in sink of ice water)
add about 1/4 of the shine to the coffee gounds (sparging coffee flavor?)
filter into the larger pot
filter larger pot into 1/2 gallon jug
combine glycerin and vanilla into the remainder of the shine
filter into jug

shake jug, let it age for several minutes then enjoy

repeat recipe and let that one age as long as you can

this stuff is amazing good, thank you so much!
kahlua.JPG

(yeah, some panty dropper syrup and a few pickled eggs)

The 1/2 gallon recipe = 1qt 84% + 6cups water ??? how does this add up and then you add the sugar I'm boggled
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010

Post Reply