How I do a cooked rye mash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nateboussad
Novice

Re: How I do a cooked rye mash

Post by nateboussad » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:30 am

The rye doesn't need the long boil that the corn does to gelatinize it starch. I would just add it when I shut off the heat. I always let mine sit a few extra days till it clears and all settles. Then i rack it off. I push the tube down into the grain bed which will also act as a filter. Maybe add a little acid to the mashing process. Otherwise everything sounded right.

[
Last edited by acfixer69 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unwanted links

ShawnT
Novice

Re: yeh

Post by ShawnT » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:55 am

Uncle Jesse wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:53 pm
I did 100% rye but I mixed malted and unmalted if memory serves correctly. I didn't age it, we drank it all. It was very tasty. I'll be experimenting with rye again soon enough.

The main reason I wanted to do some 100% rye was to learn the taste. Rye has a very distinct taste and being able to recognize and understand it will affect a number of other spirits which rely on rye for the mash, specifically Bourbon and Tennessee whiskeys.
What ratio malted to non malted, did ypu add any other nutrients or anything other than rye and yeast?

jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:57 pm

Uncle Jesse wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:53 am
A photo essay of sorts. I was distracted during this mash so I didn't take photos of a lot of the process, I'll try to complete this next time around.

First, get yourself a Big Ole Pot (BOP):

Continued next message after I process some photos...
Hey Jesse, Just quoted you to hopefully get your attention. do you sparge this or press it to remove the grain?
I've done plenty of barley mashes but never a Rye and want to know if its spargeable? I'm planning on a 50/50 grain bill.
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:08 pm

I sparge.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.

jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:02 pm

Excellent! Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks

jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:34 pm

Im gone wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 am
Epic fail for me.

First let me say that this is not my first rodeo when it comes to mashing grain. I am an all grain beer brewer too.

Was going to do a 10 gallon total batch, but had to split it in 2 because of my cooler size. Mashed ~12 lbs of malted Rye with ~6 gallon of water at 150 degrees. I got conversion based on iodine test, but the whole mash was so gelatinous that it was almost impossible to run much water off, and that water that did run off had a ridiculously low SG...

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I'll need to identify it prior to trying a 100 rye malt batch again.
I'm trying to strip my 50/50rye barley mash ATM and it's so thick it's burning on the bottom and puking like a mother f##ker!

ravi
Novice

Post by ravi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:08 pm

nice!!!!
In search of Dream whiskey.................