Gerber

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Gerber

Postby rad14701 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:54 pm

newbie1982 wrote:Hey rad if I'm going to do a 50 gallon batch do you think I need to scale everything up evenly?

Most everything except the yeast can be scaled up in linear fashion... I would also start reducing nutrients like Epsom Salt or fertilizer as the volume scales up... The Gerber, which is the primary nutrient and flavor component should be scaled normally...
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby newbie1982 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Awesome thanks
newbie1982
Novice

Postby stony183 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:39 pm

Stonemull wrote:I know, I cant help myself. I hope I am not testing your patience much, I intend to be a contributor as well as a nuisance one day.
its my first wash, first still. I like to understand things and if this lot goes out to water the grass in the back paddock I can live with that and guarantee I will have learned a lot in the process.

personally, by sheer luck perhaps, it seems to be going swimmingly.

I have done this recipe about 100 times now and I've never had a ferment stall. I usually ferment in 36-48 hrs... I don't even check my SG or FG these days because if you do the exact same recipe everytime AFTER you have found the right one there is no need. I run mine in reflux mode and always get 92% on every single run!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
stony183
Novice

Postby islander » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Finally got my first drinkable run in! This recipe is extremely easy to follow and scale up, only hangup I had was the only greber cereal available was multi grain. I ran 10 gallons and finished with 2.75 gallons going from 150 proof down to 40 proof on my pot still. It took about 1 week to ferment in my basement at 70 degrees and used Red Star Distillers Yeast, starting SG was 1.078, PH was 4.7 after I adjusted it with citric acid. When you get to the middle of the run it's got a nice spicy note to it. Thanks for the recipe!
islander
Novice

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes