All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

grainhopper
Swill Maker

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by grainhopper »

I just pitched Premier Cuvee Red Star Dry Wine Yeast @ 8:35pm CST.
I aerated the piss out of it with a whisk inserted in a drill.
See how long it takes to start working.

8 gallon @aprox 10%

Grainhopper
Read Please, Try it, Learn!
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

about 50 min.
wombat
Novice

Post by wombat »

My results from my first allbran ( using Aldi , justbran )-- finished at 999-- ended up with 2.6 ltrs of clear at 92% alc/vol-- added water to bring it down to 40% then added our flavour ( blended whiskey )-- started with 6kgs sugar-2 cups of aldi just bran soaked in hot water --10 tablespoons of Lowans yeast-- total water 26 ltrs--will drink tomorrow--have I done it right-

cheers wombat
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

wombat wrote:My results from my first allbran ( using Aldi , justbran )-- finished at 999-- ended up with 2.6 ltrs of clear at 92% alc/vol-- added water to bring it down to 40% then added our flavour ( blended whiskey )-- started with 6kgs sugar-2 cups of aldi just bran soaked in hot water --10 tablespoons of Lowans yeast-- total water 26 ltrs--will drink tomorrow--have I done it right-

cheers wombat
Did you make any cuts? When you say 26 lts total water. Did you add 26 lts it your ferment ended up being 26 lts? Did you take SG readings?

I'm just thinking 2.6 lts of 95% of drinkable alcohol is a lot. For a 26 lt wash. That's 10% of your wash. And it only had around 11% ABV. What kind of still are you using?

And flavoring? You could take it off at a lower ABV and age it on a little oak and have a nice whiskey. And not need to use flavorings. If your after a whiskey why not make one. This mite help with that?
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=24079

Edited to include link.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

To expound upon what Prariepiss just stated, adding more All Bran in conjunction with distilling at a lower %ABV will get you where you want to be... Get the idea of essences out of your head and just make spirits that taste like what you want... You'd be amazed at how much wheat flavor you can get with All Bran, especially if you use backset in subsequent washes... Bumping up from 1 cup per gallon to 1.5 - 2 cups of crushed flakes per gallon should impart more flavor...

I'm currently experimenting in the opposite direction to see how little cereal is needed to get a complete fermentation for clean refluxed neutral spirits... Next up will be back to adding more for fuller flavored spirits when pot stilling...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I'm adding this as a separate post rather than mixing it with the previous one... In previous posts I have been discussing ongoing issues with my bulk Fleischmann's dry active yeast...

Well, I ran another experiment yesterday to see if I could narrow things down... This wash used 3/8 cup of finely crushed Rice Crispies instead of All Bran so as to eliminate the cereal... Other that I used the same basic recipe I have been running for a while now...

The main difference with this wash was that I rehydrated my bulk yeast in ~110F water... I used .25 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of yeast, and 1 teaspoon of sugar... This time it actually surpassed my expectations... With just marginally more yeast than a 7g sachet contains, about 2.25 teaspoons, this 1 tablespoon multiplied to almost triple the colony size in less time... I pitched without a follow-up aeration, because I had aerated right before pitching, and a krausen started forming almost immediately... When I airlocked an hour later this wash was out-bubbling either of the other two washes I have going and is still fermenting faster today... Oh, and it had virtually zero old maid yeast pellets that failed to rehydrate...

So, what does this tell me...??? That this particular batch of yeast requires a higher temperature than normal in order to rehydrate... I think I actually pushed a degree or three above the 110F high temperature recommended for this yeast... Obviously, that's what it's going to take if I want to use up this last pound of yeast... It may take one more try with All Bran to be 100% sure, but from what I've seen I am quite confident with my findings...

Just figured I'd share... At some point I may even start a topic in the yeast section about this as it has me wondering about some slow washes that members have repeatedly battled with...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Rad did you just start using this batch of yeast? Or had you used it before and stored it till now?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Prairiepiss wrote:Rad did you just start using this batch of yeast? Or had you used it before and stored it till now?
I was using the first vacuum brick and it didn't seem to be performing so I had switched to the second brick only to have the same slowness... I was having to way over-pitch in order to get a timely ferment... There have been times when I have re-pitched the next day - to the extent of 3 tbsp per gallon in total... With the pathetic performance I was getting, even with pitching 2 tbsp per gallon from the get-go, I knew something was up... Just hadn't taken the time to narrow things down... I was thinking new additives to the water, improperly inverted sugar, questionable Epsom Salt, changes to the generic All Bran, even though I was having problems with all wash recipes, or that I'd somehow forgotten how to follow my own recipes... I'm pretty darned sure it's the yeast at this point... And the more I think about it the more sure I am that I've had problems ever since I started using this batch...
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

Premier Cuvee Red Star Dry Wine Yeast

Doesnt seem to ferment as hard as bakers yeast. compared to my gerber wash.
tomgndallas
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tomgndallas »

yep the bakers active dry that I use that comes from Fleichmann's ferments like a mad man. The EC1118 does not, but it is still a very nice and clean ferment. This last All bran finished in a week at 7.5 gallons. It is clearing now, will still it on Sunday most likely, maybe tomorrow as it already looks good enough to add to the still. I just bought another 20 packs of EC1118 for 59 cents a pack. This is my favorite so far.
wombat
Novice

Post by wombat »

Gday Prairiepiss,

Total in container was at the 27 litre mark, I only took the SG at the end, it was just above the 1000 on the hydrometer .
The still I used was me mates its a Pure Distilling Reflux Still--http://puredistilling.com/products/
I have a Brewcraft Super Head Condenser with the extension. http://www.ispirits.com.au/afawcs014752 ... tails.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I am not trying to promote, its just a link to the still used and what I have .
Thanks for the link in ya post.

I have been thinking about trying the sweetfeed but will reread that link of yours.
Does anybody in Australia know what to use for the sweetfeed recipe.
Ah the Lowans yeast I used cost $3.85 AUS for 280 grams, bought yesterday.

wombat
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilly »

tomgndallas wrote:yep the bakers active dry that I use that comes from Fleichmann's ferments like a mad man. The EC1118 does not, but it is still a very nice and clean ferment. This last All bran finished in a week at 7.5 gallons. It is clearing now, will still it on Sunday most likely, maybe tomorrow as it already looks good enough to add to the still. I just bought another 20 packs of EC1118 for 59 cents a pack. This is my favorite so far.
tomgndallas, you might pass on to the group where you get your EC1118 at such a good price. Round here its considerably more.

cheers
stilly
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I just put a heater in my slow, slow going all bran. It seems to speed up at 28 degrees centigrade!
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
tomgndallas
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tomgndallas »

Stilly wrote:
tomgndallas wrote:yep the bakers active dry that I use that comes from Fleichmann's ferments like a mad man. The EC1118 does not, but it is still a very nice and clean ferment. This last All bran finished in a week at 7.5 gallons. It is clearing now, will still it on Sunday most likely, maybe tomorrow as it already looks good enough to add to the still. I just bought another 20 packs of EC1118 for 59 cents a pack. This is my favorite so far.
tomgndallas, you might pass on to the group where you get your EC1118 at such a good price. Round here its considerably more.

cheers
stilly
5.99 for 10 packs free shipping on fleabay
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

rad14701 wrote: At some point I may even start a topic in the yeast section about this as it has me wondering about some slow washes that members have repeatedly battled with...
Rad, please do. Might even become a sticky. :wink: :wink:

This neophyte 'stiller finds the care, feeding and function of the little yeasties to be very interesting.

Thank you, FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

+1 FMH! That would be interesting. Could it be that an overkill of All Bran throws PH of to the sweet site too much? Just an idea ...
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

I just check my wash today. I wasnt too impressed in the beginning with the wine yeast then today it looks as if it is slow rolling boil and it smells
as my 5 day fermenting gerber.
It has really picked up action. I added something to the wash after I posted my ingredients which was Miracle grow starter.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Sounds good, grainhopper... I had backed away from using the fertilizer until I determined what was mucking up my washes... Not that I have it narrowed down to quirky yeast I may go back to using the fertilizer to speed fermentation...

And with regard to the yeast issue, I started another wash today with the yeast rehydrated at 110F and it's bubbling along nicely after pitching at 93F... I'll wait to see how this wash progresses before divulging what it's made of... :lolno: It'll sound vaguely familiar... :shh:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

A short update on my All Bran. Putting the fish tank heater in did speed up the process. Well, a bit at least. I stripped it yesterday without making cuts. It has a pleasant smell allready and does not taste bad! I did this run with backset from a previous run. It is a bit early, but there seems to be more taste in the low wines as compared to my first no cuts stripping run without sour mashing. From that first one I remember the low wines reminded me of sake rather than whiskey. With this it defenitely is whiskey already!

Odin.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Rad I started my All Bran Corn Flake Gerber Barly cereal wash today. And I thought about your yeast problems. So I read the proofing instructions on my Red Star baking yeast. And low and behold it states. Dissolve 1 package of yeast in 1/4 cup of warm tap water (110 - 115 deg F.) add 1/2 tsp sugar. Wait 5-10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof).
It also states for bread machines heat liquids to 120 - 130 deg F. Using liquids above 140 deg F will harm the yeast.

So I dissolved mine in 3 cups of 110 deg F RO water. When I got it all dissolved no clumps. I added a little of the wash. 1/8 cup maybe? I set it on the shelf turned around to pull the airstone out of my fermenter and cleaned it up a little. Turned back around and it had already roamed up and out of the 2 QT jar. Ugh so I quickly put the funnel in the fermenter and set the jar upright in the funnel. Cleaned up the mess. Then turned the jar up and dumped it in. It's a really big funnel. I then dumped the dry yeast in the fermenter. I always boil 1/4 rehydrate 1/2 and pitch 1/4 dry of my total yeast. It works for me? Wash temp 82 ish. Let it set for a bit while I put my air lock together. I checked it and it was already working. So I threw the air lock on. And she's bubbling away. Total time from pitch to air lock approx 15 minutes.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Too funny, Prarepiss... :lolno:

Maybe I should have posted my findings from Thursday before now... I did almost the exact same thing... I started the yeast in a hotter starter, in a small plastic glass... It went batshit and I poured into a 3x bigger plastic glass... That kept going batshit and started overflowing, as well, even though I tried stirring it down... I ended up adding some of the overflow into my invert sugar pot and then quickly put my funnel into the waiting carbouy and dumped the growing colony in along with a small amount of warm water... Then once I got the wash made up and cooled to ~110F I dumped it in on top of the yeast... I haven't checked the "mystery wash" since Friday but wouldn't be surprised if it's done tomorrow...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

My first few batches with this I was somewhat impatient and pitched @ 100-110 and got pretty dern good results. But remembered that the 90 degree temps were "best".....
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

:lol: I don't feel so dumb now. :lolno: I kinda remained me of the volcano science project I did in grade school. The 2 QT jar had at least a 6" foam head above the top. And was pouring out like crazy.luckily I had set it on a fermenter lid. So it contained the spill pretty good. :lol: I wish I would have snapped a pic.

I think next time I will use my 2 gallon fermenter for my yeast starter. It mite contain it. :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

Just wanted to let you guys know, I did a 5 gallon run of AB, and it is delicious. I stilled it 6 days ago and put it on some oak, and am sipping on some of it right now. Still a little rough, but after the pint of IPA I can find my way around that. I can taste the bran nicely, and it does have that "faux" wheat whiskey flavor to it. Enough to make me want to start another batch! I'm going to leave the rest of this batch to age for a few months to smooth out. I did a strip then a spirit run, but would I get more flavor by doing a single run on this? If so, at the cost of a rougher drink?
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

My slow, slow All Bran fermentation was stripped 2 weeks ago. Didn't get it's full 12% potential. Closer to 10% in retrospect. Gave me a 30% stripping result. I decided not to try and make it into a whiskey. Instead I fractionated it with extra care on a tails cut pretty early on. Gave me a very fine old school vodka. With "old school" I mean it had a grainy mouth feel. Not a pure neutral, but interesting as a vodka!

Given this succes, I decided to start another batch, using Special K this time. It has a more neutral taste that All Bran. More rice and so. It is now fermenting!

Odin.
nil_fhios_agam
Novice

Post by nil_fhios_agam »

How much is 1 cup of All Bran in grams? I just found a converter that reckons its 225g? That would mean I'd need 1.4KG of All Bran for a 25L wash. Bumps up the price considerably I think, doesn't it?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

nil_fhios_agam wrote:How much is 1 cup of All Bran in grams? I just found a converter that reckons its 225g? That would mean I'd need 1.4KG of All Bran for a 25L wash. Bumps up the price considerably I think, doesn't it?
The problem is a cup is not a weight measurement. It's a volume measurement.
But a box of all bran is 17.3 oz I figured up that a box made 4 cups. So 17.3 / 4 = 4.325
There is 28.3495231 grams in 1 oz so 4.325 * 28.3495231= 122.611 grams.

So one cup of crushed all bran cereal is 122.611 grams. Approx.

Just use a coffee or tea cup. It will get you close enough.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
johnny108
Bootlegger

Post by johnny108 »

Hey, rad-
How did the sugar inversion work with vinegar? I would wonder if the acetic acid would increase ester production during the first run.
Have you run it yet? How did it taste? Did it ferment completely with the lower amount of cereal?
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Yall, been raving about this so much, I just had to try a batch....

8 pounds sugar (inverted in 2 gallons water)
add 5 cups of crushed all-bran
add 2 tsp yeast boiled
3 gallons cold water
2 tsp 10-10-10
1 yeast bomb from my last run of Carolina Bourbon (pitched at 90 degrees)

It's all over but the stillin

Is it good just plain white dawg?
Last edited by NcHooch on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Yes it is good white. :thumbup: Or at least I think so.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss