All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by artooks »

Still Life thank you very much, I already know and tried this but could not find what I am looking for, but thanks for the help.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:Still Life thank you very much, I already know and tried this but could not find what I am looking for, but thanks for the help.
Didja' try?

This is the very first result (of many) returned using the HD Google search with the term, "siphon".
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2456

If...you read it, there is a direct answer to your question.

Please artooks.....you must try harder.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Don't get much plainer than that.
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

artooks wrote:Still Life thank you very much, I already know and tried this but could not find what I am looking for, but thanks for the help.
Artooks, I didn't lead you on a wild goose chase or dismiss you. I read the answers myself and led you to them.
With all due respect, you got me reading for you!
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

Wow doing my first All Bran and it is crazy fast!

40Lt
starting SG 1.093
Yeast at 33 C noticeable foaming in about 15 minutes.
Using a 100 watt aquarium heater set to 30 C
12 hours SG 1.056
23 hours SG 1.036!

Crazy fast.
Only deviation from the recipe is using wine makers yeast nutrients instead of 20-20-20(probably very similar with a little tartaric/citric acid extra).
Plus a couple teaspoons of powdered calcium carbonate as a pH buffer.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

johnnyv wrote:Wow doing my first All Bran and it is crazy fast!

40Lt
starting SG 1.093
Yeast at 33 C noticeable foaming in about 15 minutes.
Using a 100 watt aquarium heater set to 30 C
12 hours SG 1.056
23 hours SG 1.036!

Crazy fast.
Only deviation from the recipe is using wine makers yeast nutrients instead of 20-20-20(probably very similar with a little tartaric/citric acid extra).
Plus a couple teaspoons of powdered calcium carbonate as a pH buffer.
That's excitement in a bucket. You're gonna have a nice drink there! All Bran kicks ass.
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

Still Life wrote:That's excitement in a bucket. You're gonna have a nice drink there! All Bran kicks ass.
Yes it is exciting to have something so fast and easy.
Want to build up a decent amount of good neutral stock so I can experiment with infusions.

36 hour SG 1.022
I can imagine it will slow down as sugar content lowers and ethanol content increases, but a 72 hour ferment seems easily possible at this point.
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

It was completed by 72 hr.
Left overnight and decanted to two containers.
Have run one container through a single reflux and haven't had time to run the second yet.

A bit of estery smelling heads collected after foreshot and not much tails at all.
I had done a turbo "triple distilled" which claims to be highly pure if following the directions(18-24 C took over eight days to finish) and adding the carbon into the wash plus using the turbo clear.
The turbo had a bit more heads for me, similar tails.
Once you add up all the bits for the turbo you can make a double sized wash of all bran for the same price using supermarket sugar, the difference becomes even bigger when you start buying sacks of sugar from wholesale.

I will definitely be using this recipe again!
Stilman
Novice

Post by Stilman »

hmmm. I put on 20 gallons Sunday night at 1.07SG. Now, as I watch Senators Vs. Rangers, it is .099....does that seem possible? it was at 95 degrees, went up to 100 for a bit but settled at 90 or so by Monday. Can things distill that quickly? I need to leave it until Friday anyhow but thought I would get some informed input.
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

Stilman wrote:hmmm. I put on 20 gallons Sunday night at 1.07SG. Now, as I watch Senators Vs. Rangers, it is .099....does that seem possible? it was at 95 degrees, went up to 100 for a bit but settled at 90 or so by Monday. Can things distill that quickly? I need to leave it until Friday anyhow but thought I would get some informed input.
Seems possible, bakers yeast is a high temperature yeast although 100 f is really pushing it.

I just distilled the last of my first batch of all bran mash and it is even better, obviously longer racking time has resulted in a cleaner wash.
The last of the very small amount of tails is actually wonderful, it is pure breakfast cereal with a delightful burn.
I am surprised because I am really a vodka drinker but this is delicious, a very strong grain flavour and a burn but not at all harsh I would not have thought it possible straight out of the reflux.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Stilman wrote:hmmm. I put on 20 gallons Sunday night at 1.07SG. Now, as I watch Senators Vs. Rangers, it is .099....does that seem possible? it was at 95 degrees, went up to 100 for a bit but settled at 90 or so by Monday. Can things distill that quickly? I need to leave it until Friday anyhow but thought I would get some informed input.
I've had 3 days and done with baker's at 80°F (cornflake whiskey), so two days at 95°/100°seems quite possible and you've proven it.
That baker's yeast likes it warm and all other conditions must've been perfect.
No problems.
Stilman
Novice

Post by Stilman »

and it tastes great right off of the strip run. I did 20 gallons and am racking the rest ready to strip tonight. I have done corn flakes, bird watchers and tomatoe paste, this is best neutral for me so far.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Stilman wrote:and it tastes great right off of the strip run....I have done corn flakes, bird watchers and tomatoe paste, this is best neutral for me so far.
+1.

Rad has "hit a homerun" (or should I say "hat trick"?) with this one!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Amos Owens
Novice

Post by Amos Owens »

Good Lord, I came here looking for an easy fool-proof recipe for an absolute beginner. I have been reading the forums for several months to learn and trying to decide on a still and a first time run. 62 pages and 1842 replies on this recipe alone!! I'm an old man and reading and comprehending is hard for me, and getting harder every week! Just wait until you guys get some age on you!! I'm doing the best I can, trying to learn the process BEFORE I do anything.

Is the recipe at the very first post the one I should use?

Or is there a "new and improved" version? EDIT: I just read a few pages in and see it now has 20X3 fertilizer or 1/4 tsp Epsom salts....and the aerate time has gone from 1 hour to 1 minute!! :esurprised:

Please bear with me, I'm new and have not yet decided whether to buy or build a still. I have been looking at the 344 dollar one from Brewhaus, plus I've been trying to find a stock pot and a SS bowl that fits it for a DIY but so far no luck. (Any help appreciated on this issue. I would rather build my own than be 'targeted" by the Feds)

My gripe here is that the T&T recipes should be just that, a single recipe that has been proven to work. No other BS, just the recipe.

BTW I'm currently overindulging in Midnight Moon Blackberry Moonshine, which has loosened my lips...and which I paid $25.95 +tax for 750 ml.

My goal is to make my own.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

fella the recipe is at the start of the thread and discussion follows, if the initial recipe wasn't tried and proven then I doubt it would be in that section. If you choose to use some variation to that you may or may not find it an improvement, it is that simple.
Personally I'd be about as likely to add horse shit as I would fertilizer but suit your self, fertilizers have some inherent risks especially if you don't fully understand what is in them but either way its not in this tried and true recipe.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Amos Owens
Novice

Post by Amos Owens »

Thank you for the reply and the advice thecroweater. I am leery of using fertilizer...I understand that 20-20-20 is 20% nitrogen, 20% phosphorus, and 20% potassium..but the other 40% is what??

As a beginner I want a TRIED AND TRUE RECIPE....Period. NO BS.

All I want to do is make my own product, safely, for my consumption only..

I would like to distill flavors and also neutrals...to create my own blackberry, apple pie, etc. shines.

Apparently from the many readings of these forums I will need a pot and a reflux still.

I understand that my still must be stainless steel or copper, with approved lead free solder, ONLY PFTE gaskets, no rubber or silicone, NO PVC or Tygon tubing or any kind of plastics whatsoever....

Flour Paste is the go to sealant, easy to make and safe.

Do not run a pot still by temperature....use the flow of distillate as the guide. If possible, do not use an open flame to heat the boiler...always distill in an open area, have a fire extinguisher at the ready.

Collect distillate in small containers when first learning to make cuts. LEARN THE PROCESS

READ READ READ READ READ the forum

From the Parent site: "A simple (but effective) rule of thumb for this is to throw away the first 50 mL you collect (per 20 L mash used) for a reflux still. If using a pot still, make it more like 100-200 mL. Do this, and you have removed all the hazardous foreshots, including the methanol."

EDITED (the next day after my senses came back, my apologies to all.)

AO
Last edited by Amos Owens on Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Amos Owens wrote:I understand that 20-20-20 is 20% nitrogen, 20% phosphorus, and 20% potassium..but the other 40% is what...cow shit, chicken shit, human shit, dirt, moon dust, M&M candy rejects, or ejaculate from obese HIV positive Nigeran males??censored
Much sulfur and pH things like calcium compounds.
There are some basic materials for producing fertilizers. You don't take nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, you take for example ammonium sulfate (21% nitrogen and 24% sulfate) and Diammoniumphosphate (18% nitrogen 46% phosphate) and potassium hydroxide (70% potassium) and something to correct the pH in the proper range. In mineralic fertilizers is no animal feces blood and bones, only in organic fertilizers. Organic fertilizers are slow, mineralic ones are fast. One reason more only to use mineralic ones for ferments. And avoid fertilizers with the word "urea" (46% nitrogen). It is slow and there are some unverified health risks.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

You can leave the fertilizer out or substitute it with some DAP from a brew shop if it makes you uncomfortable. It's purpose is to reduce the lag time that it takes for the fermentation to kick off.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Kegg_jam wrote:You can leave the fertilizer out or substitute it with some DAP from a brew shop if it makes you uncomfortable. It's purpose is to reduce the lag time that it takes for the fermentation to kick off.
And it finishes more complete (lower FG).
BTW (not for you Kegg_jam, I think you know this) DAP = Diammoniumphosphat. So they sell you fertilizer at the brew shop and name it "yeast nutrients". Ok, it will be food grade and the fertilizer not, but fertilizer is cheaper, has trace minerals, pH buffers and has a proportional higher nitrogen content than DAP (yeast needs mainly nitrogen). So as long I don't make beer or wine, but distill it, I would prefer the fertilizer over the yeast nutrients even for the same price.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Amos Owens wrote:Good Lord, I came here looking for an easy fool-proof recipe for an absolute beginner. I have been reading the forums for several months to learn and trying to decide on a still and a first time run. 62 pages and 1842 replies on this recipe alone!! I'm an old man and reading and comprehending is hard for me, and getting harder every week! Just wait until you guys get some age on you!! I'm doing the best I can, trying to learn the process BEFORE I do anything.......
Sounds as though you're doing good Amos - This recipe is cheap and easy - good place to start I think. A bit of nutrient of some sort seems sensible. It doesn't really matter which one. I use "Tronozymol" or "Yeast Nutrient" from the brew shop or internet. [der wo is usually right on these things, but at this stage, it's probably just easier to use that which is "meant for the job" :wink: ]

A simple pot still is a good place to start if you want flavour in your hooch. Electric is good if you can do the adaptions (Mine is an old tea urn.) but plenty do use propane as is is a simpler build.
Amos Owens wrote:

.......BTW I'm currently overindulging in Midnight Moon Blackberry Moonshine, which has loosened my lips...and which I paid $25.95 +tax for 750 ml.

My goal is to make my own.
We all do that sometimes :lol:

SO is this stuff you're suppin' a white (transparent), brown (like whiskey) or purple (like blackberries) colour ?
Amos Owens
Novice

Post by Amos Owens »

Thanks all, I edited out the unnecessary stuff after my mind cleared... I think I'll get the DAP and try that and go with the 2nd recipe listed.

Pikey, it's dark purple with blackberries in it, 100 proof. Pretty darn good. But I think I can do better, well maybe!
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Amos Owens wrote:Thanks all, I edited out the unnecessary stuff after my mind cleared... I think I'll get the DAP and try that and go with the 2nd recipe listed.
Back when I did AllBran, I used a bit of DAP and a bit of epsom salts instead of fertilizer. Always had a good ferment.

Now my cheap wash/mash is enzyme converted corn. Cheaper and better tasting. To each their own. Good luck on your journey.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Amos Owens wrote:Thanks all, I edited out the unnecessary stuff after my mind cleared... I think I'll get the DAP and try that and go with the 2nd recipe listed.

Pikey, it's dark purple with blackberries in it, 100 proof. Pretty darn good. But I think I can do better, well maybe!
Ok Amos, if it's purple, it's just an infusion type "Liqueur" - Take a spirit, chuck a few blackberries and a little sugar in there, leave a while and you will get something similar. I do a few of these but blackberry is not one of my favourites, for some reason it always seems "lacking " in something. Sloes are good, as are hawthorn berries and DRIED apricots.

However they call it "moonshine", so it could be any recipe for the spirit. If it's 100 then it's guessed at 50% abv (it has to be guessed because you can't measure the abv due to the additions) - They must have started with a spirit of at least 60-70% abv, but what spirit is anyones guess. Fortunately it doesn't matter that much, for some reason a fruit liqueur like that tends to lose most of the flavour of the spirit :?

Bran is as good as anywhere to start I think.

Yep I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to match it or improve on it.

Best get that still built mate ! 8)
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Back when I did AllBran, I used a bit of DAP and a bit of epsom salts instead of fertilizer. Always had a good ferment.

Now my cheap wash/mash is enzyme converted corn. Cheaper and better tasting. To each their own. Good luck on your journey.
The wine nutrient I use is DAP, epsom salts, potassium phosphate, tartaric acid and citric acid.
NZ$4 per 100 gram is ten times higher then buying fertilizer but is still only a few cents per liter of spirit.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Find it somewhat amusing/ perplexing that your complaint/ statement was that the tried and true recipe should stand alone with no discussion or variation and yet with no experience at all with this recipe you have chosen to start with a variation to it. That is to say not the tried and true recipe, nothing wrong with that but giant it interesting that your big issue just yesterday was the fact these variations were provided :wtf:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Amos Owens
Novice

Post by Amos Owens »

What I am referring to is in my opinion, there should be a place on this site that has only recepies, like a cookbook. If there are variations or revisions they should be noted and posted. Discussions about recepies should be in a seperate post. Just my opinion. My decision to use the 1st variation was due to the amount of time to aerate. The
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Nobody's going to micro-manage your perceptions of how the site should be run mate !

Build that still and get your own recipe modifications incorporated in your experience to modify if you want - but Any of them will work ! :)

Build the still 1 :D
Amos Owens
Novice

Post by Amos Owens »

Pikey wrote:Nobody's going to micro-manage your perceptions of how the site should be run mate !

Build that still and get your own recipe modifications incorporated in your experience to modify if you want - but Any of them will work ! :)

Build the still 1 :D
YES!! My first goal is to build a simple (ie cheap) still!!

I'm having a hard time finding a stock pot and a matching SS bowl. If anyone can help me locate these, I would appreciate it.

I have looked for kegs, but I do not want to buy one that has been "stolen' from a dealer.

I am thinking of ordering an 8 gal SS kettle with a 3" ferrule for a tri-clamp and then making my own copper column and worm,then maybe later making a Liebeg.

I'm also looking at adding 2-1" couplings and 1" plugs on the kettle, one for a heating element and another for a drain. If I do order one, I'm thinking the 3" ferrule will be better for future upgrades even if I use 2" copper column to begin with.

I currently have 2 electric hot plates (I'm sure they are not "always on") elements, and a propane turkey fryer that I can use for heat.

The (IF i COULD AFFORD IT) super duper 8 gallon SS kettle with 3" High Capacity column is $499.99. But, I'm not paying that to just start out with.

Finding the parts for my still is the hardest part for me. Anyone who can give me some advice or even sell me parts, or even a complete assembly, would be greatly appreciated.

Amos Owens
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Catering supply store/website - stainless steel stock pot - get one with a lid as the fancy 'mixing bowl hat' is optional... go as big as you can now, you'll only want to upgrade later.

For the record, I'd like to see the T&T recipes written into an eBook and sold on Amazon. All proceeds going to keep this website running.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Amos,

Have you thought about one of these ? (uk site but I'm sure you have something similar)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swan-26-Litre ... SwjDZYdibx

You'd need to bypass the thermostat "Protection" and the "Keep hot" function, but it's not hard. and replace any plastic bits (Tap looks plastic?) - If you can get a second hand one, so much the better.

Then a simple hole drilled in the top (Where the "knob" is, for a "Tank connector" and attach your column to that.

Wallop you're in business ! - A bit of "Pastry" round the lid seal and to block those 3 vents.

Later you can add a "Power controller" so you're not running flat out all the time, but it will work run flat out.