All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thecroweater
retired

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by thecroweater »

Off topic guys, you are now creating work as these posts require moving. Ask and reply to questions in the appropriate places, for instance kettles in say boilers not t&t recipes eh.
I'll leave this a few days and then be moving those not pertaining to this thread.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Sorry c - I'll shut up until it's moved :oops:
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Maybe this is in here somewhere, it's been awhile since I read through this whole thread - Why were we shooting for 12-14% on this recipe and not 8-10% like others recommend? Is it something to do with it being a sugar wash? I usually target 8% with all my washes, sugar or grain. Or was it just personal preference or maybe experimentation? Just wondering...
ramjet57
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ramjet57 »

Just did my first batch of All Bran..actually first batch of anything. I did a 5 gallon batch of the the basic recipe of All Bran, sugar and Red Star yeast.Started on Sunday with SG of 1.08 and today it's slowed down considerable so checked at 0.996. Looks kind of like dirty Mountain Dew. Also checked my ph as being 5.2. Anyway looks like I'm on my way to begin my first distilling. I've steam cleaned and sanitized the still and all the associated parts and pieces and am going to make a sacrificial run with some really old cheap wine. Oh and I'm running a Mile hi reflux still with the internal heating element. I'm pretty excited to do my first run, even it is just for cleaning purposes.
Will update as I get further along.
ramjet
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

ramjet57 wrote:Just did my first batch of All Bran..
Good on you for getting that still cleaned up and doing a sacrificial run.
Seems people tend to ignore or forget those important steps.
These cereal runs such as All-Bran are fun and always come out nice.
Continued success to you.
ramjet57
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ramjet57 »

Thanks. I've learned a lot from this forum and tried to incorporate all the things that the more experienced people have suggested. I figure I'll make enough new mistakes so trying to cut down on the ones I can avoid.
VerucaSalt
Novice

Post by VerucaSalt »

Read the entire thread and wanted to thank everyone for all the valuable info I picked up. I've been running UJSSM for about a year and have been really happy with the results, but ready for a change. I currently have 8 gallons of this fermenting since yesterday using the original recipe from page 1, but am using Cracklin Oat Bran Cereal instead of Wheat Bran. (I had it in my pantry already and it wasn't getting eaten, so put it to good use.) It has oats, wheat, coconut & corn syrup in it, along with a small amount of cinnamon and nutmeg, making my wash smell like oatmeal cookies. Just an experiment. Will go out and pick up some All Bran next go round.

Pitched yeast and it took off immediately and has been bubbling at a good rate since then. It is a deep brown color - not yellow. At least not yet.

(the pink stuff behind is watermelon I just racked from fermenters yesterday. Watermelon is a pain in the butt, but when done right tastes amazing.)
Attachments
20170730_150536.jpg
blackmoor
Novice

Post by blackmoor »

Hello everybody.

Just started all bran recipe:

21 litres of water ( approx, 25 litres total in fermenter)
1200 ml kellogs all bran (blended to fine powder, 1 min on full will do)
6 kg of sugar
10 bags of 11 gram bakers dry yeast pouches.

First 10 litres of almost boiling water, mixed with sugar. after sugar dissolved, put in the kellogs all bran powder and mix thoroughly.

Then cold water until temperature at 30 celsius. Mixed in the yeast and gave a good stir. Let it breathe for an hour, took Oechsle reading (81, should be about 1.081 SG, using this tool: http://www.musther.net/vinocalc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow)

Now under lid with water lock in place...
blackmoor
Novice

Post by blackmoor »

Finished this batch yesterday evening. Using aabratek LM still with copper mesh packing, got about 2700 millilitres of product at 91 %. maybe 2200 is usable, rest is 150ml heads and tails. 300 fores discarded.
Paularis
Novice

Post by Paularis »

Hi Rad,

This is the best receipt I ever used to make neutral.
Did a run with 4 x 7.4 gallon +- 28l and 7 kg sugar.( sg 1096)
Using all bran (kellogs) and corn flakes.(used amalyse)
Used vitamines, calcium , and invert sugar with citric acide, and 20+20+20 fertilizer
Then use baking yeast (bruggeman) ,very nice smell.
After stripping ,in the reflux ,and go true the carbon filter, this give the best tasting vodka (neutral)
I will Never using turbo yeast anymore ! ( bad taste)

Thank you Rad for this nice recipe! :-)
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Question for all of those that have tried Rads All Bran

This is my 3rd time making it using three 20 gallon rubbermaid trashcans.
I fermented for two weeks at a controlled temperature of 88°it was clear and at 1.001 after two weeks, I let it ride another two weeks and it was the same so I racked it and will be running this week. I'm pretty sure it's done but was curious as to why everyone seems to be getting 0.995 (I always got that with my TPW)

I usually shoot for 1.080 but mine never finishes at 0.995 like most that have posted here, mine always finished at 1.000-1.001

Somewhere in this thread I posted my first run with a similar question and I got a reply from Rad (thank you rad) that it could be suspended particles and it may indeed be finished, I was curious if anyone else finishes around 1.001? Could it be the volume I am fermenting at?

I use special K for my cereal, I did not cook my cereal this time but did the 2nd time, this year I added a bag of frosted mini wheats to two of the three fermenters.
I hand crushed the cereal the first time and then food processed into a coarse powder (oatmeal consistency) the next two times.

I used eggshells the first time, and sea shells the last two times, all the results have been near identical, which is good I guess.
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Post by CaptMorgan »

I mixed up my first 8 gallon batch or Rad's All Bran using Aldi bran flakes. It started out kind of brown, now it is 6 days later and milky yellow looking. It never got much of a kraussen but it did start fermenting pretty quickly compared to my normal birdwatchers/tomatoe paste wash. I hope it will finish sizzling today or tomorrow so I can rack it on Monday and run it on Tuesday. I would like to get another batch going but I have run out of sugar and yeast. I must make a run to GFS for yeast, saf-instant baker's yeast is what I used. Back to Aldi for more sugar and I should be set.

I am looking forwards to trying this T&T recipe after reading about the success others have had. The cereal may have been a little low on B vitamins and I did not have any around. I used Epson salt instead of 20-20-20.

Rad,
I thank you for sharing this wash recipe. I hope you get to read this. I also hope I am not sh!thing through the eye of a needle from 30 ft in a couple of days. :ebiggrin:. Should I buy a couple extra packages of toilet paper when I go shopping?
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

Distilling season is coming up in November for me. Looking to try this recipe a few time to see what it tastes like. Seems pretty simple. Most people seem to be using all bran cereal or corn flakes or the like. I read through and tried searching for "grape nuts" to see if anyone has tried using them. Only a few ingredients in them yeast, wheat flour, malted barley flour, and salt. Has anyone tried using them?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

Just did a new batch, but have a question I opted to do a 29 litre wash, so scaled the recipe first I checked with the sugar calculator to find out how much water I need to add to come up with 29 litre wash I needed 24.5 litre but I did the calculation based on the wash for example if I need 1kg sugar for every 4lt wash then I need 7.25kg for 29 litres is that correct ? I was a little bit hesitant about it, my OG is: 1.094 can you please confirm that all the calculations to scale the recipe should be done by taking into account the final wash volume ?

Thanks
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Update from my Tue Oct 10, 2017 post.

First off, I shoot for 1.07 not 1.08, I need to be more careful when typing my values.

Secondly, my 3rd container of wash did get closer to what others are getting.

The only difference from this wash to the other was I let it ride a week longer than the other washes, (5 weeks).

This wash did have the extra bag of Frosted Mini Wheats but so did one of the other washes that finished at 1.001
I'm guessing the fermentation time for me is going to be upwards of 5 weeks, which is fine.
20171011207 (Custom).jpg
20171011203 (Custom).jpg

The wash does take off fast though.
20170910446 (Custom).jpg

Thanks again Rad for an awesome recipe
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to share my experience, first of All than you very much Rad for this Awesome Recipe. I made a mistake during the calculation of water and sugar so I end up with using more sugar, what I used is.

25 Lt Water
7.25 Sugar
360 gr Kellogs Special K
4 teaspoon Boiled Yeast
2 teaspoon Epsom Salt
125 Gr Bakers Dry Active Yeast

I inverted 1 kg of sugar in 1lt of water for 30 minutes and also I add 1 lt of water to 360 gram Kellogs Special K and simmered it for 30 minutes in a separate bowl
I added everything aerated with a stone for 1 minute pitched the yeast, and checked the OG: 1.094 so it was quite high anyway today is the 9th day I took a reading it is now: 1.000 and the fermentation still going on, so there it is at %12.34 so I will wait some more days but it looks like it will finish at 0.995 probably, so do you think this is a good level for OG or if I had sticked to 1.080 it would already be finished trying to decide which way is more efficient.
Thanks Again.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Fermentation Day: 10
O.G: 0.994
Still bubbling very slowly
Alcohol Content: %13.13
Woww this is the best recipe
But because mt OG was 1.094 it takes longer
I will make a strip run in pot still
Then the spirit run will be done in reflux
Hope the yeast won’t give off tastes
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

artooks wrote:O.G: 0.994
Still bubbling very slowly
Did you mean to write current gravity is 0.994?
If so, it's probably ready and is just de-gassing now.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Yes the current gravity is 0.994
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Fermentation Day: 12
O.G: 1.094
FG: 0.990
Alcohol Content: %13.65

I also did another fermentation.

Fermentation Day: 7
O.G: 1.084
FG: 0.990
Alcohol Content: %12.34

As you could see increasing the sugar content and targeting a high alcohol level made me wait another week 7 days vs 13 days does not worth it, so I will be sticking with 1.084 for the time being.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Guys just did my third All Bran this week, really like it but there are a few things that I wonder,
In the recipe Rad says use 20-20-20 fertilizer (substitute 1/4 teaspoon Epsom Salt)
Does this mean that Epsom salt is an alternative to fertilizer ? I do not use fertilizer only Epsom Salt but I wonder whether they are the same thing, ? Also I do not use any Dap, but my ferments are OK all of them finishes at 0.990 but just wondering does it lose something if there is no DAP, Fertlizer only Epsom Salt, Boiled yeast, Sugar and Bran Flakes ?

I read the thread but I could not find a difference between inverting sugar or not ? If I target 1.085 it takes 8 days to ferment dry, usually I reach 0.990 so what do you think is it necessary,
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

If it ain’t broke....don’t fix it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
peter
Novice

Post by peter »

Been trying a slight modification of this recipe for a few runs now and have thrown away all my Turbo for good. Can't believe I've been using that crap for all these years. Problem I am running into though is that I can't seem to get a fermentation down to 0.98 I start at 1.075 and in only 2 - 3 days it will get to .00 but a week later it is still only .099 At first I thought that the alcohol was killing the yeast so I cut back on the sugar but it still sticks once it gets to .00
Am using bakers yeast with DAP, Epsom salts and yeast nutrients. Have my primary wrapped in insulation and wired for heat but find that with the strong initial ferment I need to keep adding bottles of frozen ice water to keep the temp from going over 30 C
Anyone out there with any ideas into this?
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

From 1.075 to 1.000 or 0.99 is just fine, run it. Don't worry about getting to 0.98. You will have more trouble getting to know your cuts, etc. A couple points or so is mouse turds, concentrate on getting the best product that you can. It's been a while since I ran a sugar wash, but if I remember correctly, I couldn't tell the difference in the final product when the wash finished within .01 from the last one. Granted, I used to use a 36" CCVM which gave a high reflux. Don't obsess as much about the wash, it'll be OK. Get used to your equipment and you will make a superior product. Who knows, maybe you will graduate to AG mashes, then you will have a new set of problems to contend with. That's the fun in this (or any) hobby, learning new stuff. Good luck in your adventure.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Bakers yeast handles temps over 30C no problems :thumbup: Wouldn't think you need to add the DAP, Epsom salts and yeast nutrients etc. I make a similar wash using just 500g of processed wheat bran and a crushed MegaB Vitamin B tablet (plus 1/3rd cup Bakers yeast and 5kg raw sugar)
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Ludwig404
Novice

Post by Ludwig404 »

Ferthy wrote:Distilling season is coming up in November for me. Looking to try this recipe a few time to see what it tastes like. Seems pretty simple. Most people seem to be using all bran cereal or corn flakes or the like. I read through and tried searching for "grape nuts" to see if anyone has tried using them. Only a few ingredients in them yeast, wheat flour, malted barley flour, and salt. Has anyone tried using them?
I looked into a Grape Nuts based recipe a couple of years ago, but didn't get too far. I still plan on trying it, though.
courtofjest
Novice

Post by courtofjest »

I'm relatively new here, but I was making the all bran recipe and noticed that there are not any enzymes to break down the carbs in the wash. Would it help to add some malted barley to aid in breaking it down into sugars or is all-bran processed enough so that it does not matter?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

the bran is a flavor is this wash not the source of sugar.

AC
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

acfixer69 wrote:the bran is a flavor is this wash not the source of sugar.

AC
The all bran is a large source of nutrients, it doesn't really impart much flavor. Especially after running through a reflux still.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:the bran is a flavor is this wash not the source of sugar.

AC
The all bran is a large source of nutrients, it doesn't really impart much flavor. Especially after running through a reflux still.
As is the corn in a UJSSM

AC