All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master Distiller
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by still_stirrin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:15 am

rgreen,

My grocery has shelves of cereal and I use the generic bran flakes, nothing special. Of note, the prices on all cereal grains are higher now because of Covid. But they’re still available here.

I would think a generic raisin bran cereal would work great too...the raisins are great nutrients.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K

rubberduck71
Novice

Post by rubberduck71 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Add me to the list of those amazed by this T&T Recipe... :thumbup: But it took awhile to get through all 67 pages of this!!!

25L/6 gal wash
8 lbs sugar inverted
2 boxes of "twiggy" All-Bran (overkill, I know -- but I wanted to see how much wheat flavor comes through)
* did not boil them. Just soaked in the inverted sugar overnight & they basically "decomposed" into tiny bits
2 Tbsp DADY
1 Tbsp DAP
~1 cup oyster shells in muslin bag for pH management
2L of backset from a Kashi run that turned out delicious in my 2l barrel. Kashi is a similar high-vitamin/all natural organic cereal.
SG: 1.085
pH: 5.15

7 days later, FG: 0.998, pH: 4.01

I plan on employing the 1.5 distillation technique for optimum flavor carry-over & aging on med oak cubes (or I just remembered: I have oak spirals too!!).

I've not seen much on aging recommendations through the 11 years of posts! Please reply with your success stories! :D
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season

still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Post by still_stirrin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:36 pm

rubberduck71 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:25 pm
...I plan on employing the 1.5 distillation technique for optimum flavor carry-over & aging on med oak cubes (or I just remembered: I have oak spirals too!!).

I've not seen much on aging recommendations through the 11 years of posts! Please reply with your success stories! :D
Rubberduck,

This recipe makes a great NEUTRAL. There are better recipes for “flavored spirits”, especially for a whiskey-like spirit.

Trying to extract flavor from a neutral basic recipe can lead to frustration. But, maybe you’ll get what you want....or, think you want.
ss

rubberduck71
Novice

Post by rubberduck71 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:06 pm

still_stirrin wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:36 pm

Rubberduck,

This recipe makes a great NEUTRAL. There are better recipes for “flavored spirits”, especially for a whiskey-like spirit.

Trying to extract flavor from a neutral basic recipe can lead to frustration. But, maybe you’ll get what you want....or, think you want.
ss
SS totally understand that it was to replace Turbo Washes, but I recall seeing some folks reporting good tasting results from potstilling (I don't have a reflux), so I thought I'd give it a go. If no likey, can push it to a 2.5 technique! :wink:

desmo_2
Novice

Post by desmo_2 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:58 am

I have made two runs of this so far (5 gallons each...my maiden voyages into the home distilling world). While I am reading a lot of people saying 60% is the higher limit for pot still production, my first 40-50 oz have been up to 66% (minus 4-5 oz fore shots).
I made noobie cuts and proofed both runs (86 proof and 92 proof)...but I don't find them to be all that enjoyable. Low wines or not, I wanted to taste what I got from a single run just to educate myself.
I have about 1.47 gallons of product from those two runs. I am planning to strip two more runs, then combine all runs into another spirit run.

kimbodious
Trainee

Post by kimbodious » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:24 pm

rubberduck71 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:06 pm
still_stirrin wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:36 pm

Rubberduck,

ss
SS totally understand that it was to replace Turbo Washes, but I recall seeing some folks reporting good tasting results from potstilling (I don't have a reflux), so I thought I'd give it a go. If no likey, can push it to a 2.5 technique! :wink:
I make my version of faux whisky on a pot still doing 1.5 distillation using processed bran as a flavour base, that and medium roast french oak. It is not whisky, not even a passable faux whisky but it is a fine flavoursome sipping spirit that I use when I’d otherwise use scotch. It has way more character than a neutral even when coming straight off the still :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
Modular 2" CCVM

rubberduck71
Novice

Post by rubberduck71 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 am

kimbodious wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:24 pm

I make my version of faux whisky on a pot still doing 1.5 distillation using processed bran as a flavour base, that and medium roast french oak. It is not whisky, not even a passable faux whisky but it is a fine flavoursome sipping spirit that I use when I’d otherwise use scotch. It has way more character than a neutral even when coming straight off the still :thumbup:
I may go purchase a wheat whiskey from the liquor store, just to try for comparison's sake. My All Bran is just aging in the jar at the moment.

KB, how long do you age it on the french oak? I was planning on using it for some blending into future all-grains or even some experimenting with the Odin Rye Bread I have in stock.

kimbodious
Trainee

Post by kimbodious » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:35 pm

rubberduck71 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 am
kimbodious wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:24 pm

I may go purchase a wheat whiskey from the liquor store, just to try for comparison's sake. My All Bran is just aging in the jar at the moment.

KB, how long do you age it on the french oak? I was planning on using it for some blending into future all-grains or even some experimenting with the Odin Rye Bread I have in stock.
I age on French Oak for a minimum of three months after which I start taking weekly samples before determining when to dilute and bottle it (usually around 6 months).

My recipe is not the same as the All Bran recipe, but it is close. I changed to simple processed bran after noting all the additives in All Bran plus the expense.

Store bought whiskies are usually aged in/ with some form of used oak whether it was sherry port or wine barrels. That certainly adds significant flavour character to the store bought spirits. Unless you use similar used oak your spirits will always be different to what you buy, vive la difference!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
Modular 2" CCVM

LandofSunSnow
Novice

Post by LandofSunSnow » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:07 pm

Wow this one takes off like a rocket...waited a half hour after adding yeast before air lock and blam...what a mess. Next time I will follow instructions and wait an hour. lol

still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Post by still_stirrin » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:19 pm

This is my “go to” recipe for a neutral. Easy to make, and predictable time after time. It’ll start quick and drive to terminal in just a few days.

Thanks Rad.
ss

LandofSunSnow
Novice

Post by LandofSunSnow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:11 am

still_stirrin wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:19 pm
This is my “go to” recipe for a neutral. Easy to make, and predictable time after time. It’ll start quick and drive to terminal in just a few days.

Thanks Rad.
ss
I agree SS. Just put my second wash into action and this is so easy. Thanks for sharing this Rad!