First Still (keen to buy one)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Youngstiller
Novice

First Still (keen to buy one)

Post by Youngstiller »

So my first attempt was quite a sad failure. Not sure if it was just the fact that you need a submergible element to keep the boil at that perfect temp (while actually boiling) or my plate angles were off, or maybe even my take of tube was too thin.. but whatever it was, i could only collect at >1ml/minute without sending the purity down to less then 60%
I did however manage to get about 150ml of +90% alcohol which was nice just seeing that figure on my hydrometer.. but at them speeds it wasnt really practical (cost me $15 of lpg :roll: )

Anyway that was last year and the rivets holding the stem on have gone rusty
"Sure there stainless steel dad?"
"Positive, they are son"
..nope
and the whole things just a mess. That i dont want to repeat.. I just dont have access to the proper tools to make a good job of it. Did make a really nice double helix 7" condenser that could be recycled though

Is anyone keen to sell me a decent reflux or even possibly build one? :thumbup:
Id be super grateful and keen to pay for the crafting..
All the stills i can get online seem over priced and not as good as a standard inline 2-3" boka

So if your game i can pick up anywhere in the south island and will pay $300-$500 depending on how good it is.

Id want it to be..
-Dual slanted plate boka design
-Tig welded (if possible)
-Copper or stainless
-Decent needle valve for take off
-Steady column temp (insulation?)
-Easy access to boiler and sealable (flour paste annoyed me, so much)
-Easy to pack and remove packing..
-Capable of maintaining a nice 90%+ take off percentage at, at least 400ml an hour
-A packable column length of over a meter
Oh and we can use trademe to make the sale legitmate
Pm ME (:
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First Still (keen to buy one)

Post by BigSwede »

Sounds like you are in NZ? If so, I cannot speak for parts availability and costs.

But I strongly encourage you to try it again, make your own. A slant plate Bokakob is just so simple. And to make it even easier, try the following to eliminate tri-clamps which I guess can be hard to get in that hemisphere...

On your boiler - this will be the hard part - mount a 2" or 50mm copper female threaded adapter, so you have a female socket at the top. For the column, solder a matching male adapter to some 2" / 50mm copper. There's your interface. Wrap with PTFE tape. It'll be clean and tight.

Top of the column, install your plates, insert a Dad300 steel condenser, install the output tube and a needle valve, done! This is well within the reach of just about anybody.

Think about it. There's a lot of satisfaction on DIY. Otherwise, good luck in your search, hopefully someone can give you a hand.