Newbie question on abv

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

irishshiner
Novice

Newbie question on abv

Post by irishshiner »

Hi guys just built my first stil not the greatest but it will do till i finish my bokarob column,i have a question i have a small copper reflux column about 600mm high and an inch and a half wide with ceramic packing,i'm using a stainless steel pressure cooker trouble is im only getting about 60% abv from 5l of mash,i'm using old mash i made about a year ago and i had stored so im not sure of the starting gravity, the first 300ml is around 75% then it drops sharply to between 50 or 60 using the hydrometer.....could any one point me in the right direction .....also how much would you expect to get from 5l of mash and what is the best way to know when to stop.........sorry a bit silly guys as i'm still learning......
Bushman
Admin

Re: Newbie question on abv

Post by Bushman »

Part of the ABV problem is 600mm for a reflux still is a bit short to get higher %. To answer your other questions I am going to ask you to take some time and read the New Distillers Reading lounge (we consider this mandatory reading) as the answers to your questions. I say this because it is rich in information that will not only answer what you have asked but also give important information that you should know before distilling.
irishshiner
Novice

Post by irishshiner »

Hi thx for the reply ive been reading thru the various beginners guides great stuff just hard to take it all in and apply it to my setup,looks like this is gonna be fun indeed a great new hobby......aye kinda thought it was a bit small as the bokarob one im building was nearly a meter tall and twice the diameter........i wonder if im actually just distilling water after the first 300ml lol as thats when it always drops still loads of mash left in the pot tho....i guess its hard to tell if i havent got the starting gravity reading of the mash......no complaints 60% for my first time is great as these are just test runs not for drinking
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks like you have the right attitude, enjoy the journey!
irishshiner
Novice

Post by irishshiner »

Amazing how much you learn by doing........after getting max 60% with my mash i tried using some cheap wine and have managed to get close to 70% is it possible that my mash is not strong enough ?
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Nah. Id be happy with 120 proof for a single run. You can bump it a little by running slightly slower. Don't want to go too strong with your mash, can lead to off flavors if you stress out your yeast.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I run a pot still and I know that the output ABV can somewhat be affected by the ABV of the wash. But, not sure that holds true for a reflux still. I would think that you would simply get less higher ABV output with a low ABV wash. The size of your boiler is a problem too. You may not even be able to reach full reflux before depleting the available alcohol in the wash.

Posted while Thatguy1313 was posting.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
irishshiner
Novice

Post by irishshiner »

Thx for the replies guys...wow just finished my first drinkable batch or real likker haha magic..... tastes ok too big smiles all around lol......this batch i managed after re using some of the old mash and the weaker first batch which was around 50/60 managed 80%....... still some flavour comming thru its not totally neutral tasting ,not unpleasant tho so you may be correct in that its not refluxing completly.....its likker lol and it will do just fine till i learn the ins and outs of this caper.........totally happy ......ive decided to discard the first 75ml from a 5 liter batch and im cutting off when i can no longer light a few drops on a spoon lol bit imprecise i know lol.... thx for the replies folks
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Just saw that you're running a reflux. I'd definitely be wanting a bigger boiler and a taller column. S-cack hit it on the nose. You're not gonna get much useable alcohol outta a rig that size. Keep workin on that Boka and once you run a tried and true through that you'll realize that stuff you're drinkin now is some nasty swill. And then you'll make better stuff! All part of the journey. Just stay safe!
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

id keep practicing with the 5L, so when you step up to your new rig you wont be a virgin at that point.

save all your fients for a cleaning run for your new rig.

just my 2 cents
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

As you do your research you will learn that a reflux column needs to be of a specific height in order to attain high purity (proof and clean taste)... With a right-sized column, diameter and height, even a very low %ABV wash, even 3%, can yield 190 proof/95% alcohol... Take the time to do ample research before continuing with practical application, and make appropriate modifications, and I'm sure you will see immediate results...
irishshiner
Novice

Post by irishshiner »

I'm amazed still guzzling the produce lol I love it .......I've accidentally produced an amazing flavoured whiskey........I wanted vodka or neutral but damm boy....this stuff is great.....lovely and smooth to sip with a lovely aftertaste.....too damm good......wife actually preferred it to jack d wow now that's a compliment as she loves JD lol .....normally I mix vodka with coke but wow this is greAt with no mixer.....very impressed seems like I'm gonna keep this as a staple ......who needs vodka lol........I managed to get some at around 80 to which I added the weaker stuff to produce a final of around 40abv by adding spring water.........no reflux stil but a cracker for whiskey............hmmmm trouble is I made this mash last year can't remember the damm recipe lol.........thanks guys for all the advice