beginner technical questions

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Withered Worm
Novice

beginner technical questions

Post by Withered Worm »

Hello All,
I'm close to finishing a 60" tall 2" diameter boka style reflux still. I'm working on the outlet now which, I plan, will consist of a short section of quarter inch OD copper tube and a Home Depot brass 1/4" needle valve, (it says "lead free" on the package). Here's the question: how does the distiller observe the amount of flow of output from the outlet so as to be able to adjust the flow rate with the needle valve? Would it be convenient to install some kind of viewing port on the tube running from the outlet of the needle valve to aid in adjusting the valve to the desired flow rate?

Another question: considering the type of still I describe above, will the maximum flow rate through the outlet ever amount to a steady stream at the outlet tube, where it flows from the outlet tube into the parrot? Or even at maximum flow, will it still be in drips?

I departed a little from the leibig output cooler apparatus designs that I have seen online and if my design works, I'll post a picture of it here. If it doesn't work, I'll never ever mention it again.

Tom
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: beginner technical questions

Post by bearriver »

Small needle valves are reported to be restrictive. You may want to remove it during a stripping run, so look for something that can allow you to easily add or remove the valve.

How do you tell what rate of flow should be exiting the still? That depends on a huge variety of factors. The best answers to that question will come from experience. Look for a thread titled LM instructions in the reading lounge. That will get you off in the right direction. There are also some VERY useful calculators (Thanks Rad) on the parent site. Check the link near the top right hand of the page.

Some people put sight glasses on the reflux return, so you can guesstimate the reflux ratio. Hound Dog has good results with his.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We recommend that you go with no less than 3/8" and 1/2" tubing is preferred to prevent clogging.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Bushman wrote:We recommend that you go with no less than 3/8" and 1/2" tubing is preferred to prevent clogging.
+1

I got a 1/2" Parker SS needle valve on my still. Cost me something around $80 a few years back. You can get the same valve from the same manufacturer for under $20 now. :thumbup:

Considering many SS valves have no dodgy seals and instead use PTFE, I'd go with that. The seals will not deteriorate and need replacement. $20 well spent.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Bushman wrote:We recommend that you go with no less than 3/8" and 1/2" tubing is preferred to prevent clogging.
+1 Bushman..
A sightglass would be about the only option for looking inside the still..otherwise..experience is the best guide.
(sightglasses are very cheap on your side of the world..a brass one with PTFE gasket would do)
Take a look at this beautiful piece of craftmanship Big Swede has made..it's a school example for making a LM/ Boka.
One of my favourite stills on this site,there are many others, but this has a exceptional build quality and sightglass.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=47698
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

As others have said, that's a mighty small takeoff tube. 1/4" od doesn't leave much room for liquid inside then the needle valve will be tiny. Clogging is not so much a detriment on a boka as an inconvenience. It won't clog and build pressure or anything, just small for a decent takeoff. 3/8" id tubing will fit a 1/2" valve. If you have a 2" column a 1/4" id tube on a 3/8" valve might serve you OK. If you upgrade to lava rocks or SPP you can get a faster takeoff than the tube and valve that you are suggesting.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Also, yes, you can add a cheap sight glass by placing a trap adapter across from the plates. Or at the top of the packing. I did both and find the one at the top of packing is more useful.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Hound Dog wrote:Also, yes, you can add a cheap sight glass by placing a trap adapter across from the plates. Or at the top of the packing. I did both and find the one at the top of packing is more useful.
+1 Hound dog..
As i looked around i also found your still (beautiful)..with the sightglasses i refered to.. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=46179
Very nicely done..