First Ever Mash Run

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RandB
Novice

First Ever Mash Run

Post by RandB »

Hi. Did my first run today. Have some info about it and a question or 2.
This is the still I got. It is 8 gallon encapsulated bottom. I did go through the complete cleaning process including Soak and Scrub, Vinegar Cleaning Run, and a Seasoning Run made of concentrated orange juice and sugar aged for 3 days. I did a quite a bit of online reading before I tried my first batch which actually came out fairly well and I learned from it.
I started with a 5 gallon cornmeal mash made from 5 pounds cornmeal and 5 pounds cane sugar along with 3 packs of fleischmann's yeast (1/4 oz packets).
I fermented in plastic jugs with popper vents. They quit popping day 8.
Out of the 5 gallon batch i only got 6 pints. 1st pint checked at 110 proof. 2nd at 100 proof. 3rd at 90 proof. 4th at 80 proof. 5th at 65 proof and 6th pint at 50 proof. i figured I should stop at 50 proof or should i have gone longer ? And by the way i did discard the first 150 ml I distilled.
With my setup I put 3 Chore Boy pure Copper Scouring Pad's up into the column before i started.
It does have a temperature gauge at the top of the column but not sure if it is working right. I did not get and drip until it read 200f. I thought I was suppose to get liquid at around 185 or so. I was told not to pay too much attention to the temperature gauge and to pay more attention to the amount of liquid coming out. At 200f I was getting a quick drip just prior to a steady run. But after the run I let it cool for a few minutes and pulled the column then pulled the lid off of the pot. i used the same temperature gauge from the column to check the temperature of the liquid left in the pot. The temp gauge read 204f. Is this normal ? Not too far from boiling. Could it be the temp gauge is faulty ? It is a cheapo. I will post pic of temp gauge like mine also.
I have enough cornmeal for one more batch of mash then I think I will try some cracked corn and see if it produces more product with higher abv. I really do not care if i produce extremely high abv but I was a little let down on what I collected. Although I did taste a tiny bit from each pint and I was pleasantly surprised at the nice flavor, especially the 90 proof. I think I am going to mix all 6 pints together now that I know what each pint is and have maybe a 90 proof beverage.
I'm kinda rambling here i think I've mentioned everything i need to. Looking forward to reply's from you experienced distillers. Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot_270.jpg
Screenshot_270.jpg (6.81 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
Screenshot_269.jpg
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: First Ever Mash Run

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

You did fine.
You have to admit, it's pretty dang cool when that likker starts to flow, eh?

The corn meal gave you nothing but flavor, which is good, and the sugar was 1# per gallon, so your wash was a little weaker than it needed to be.

Your numbers sound right and believe what you read, pay no attention to the temps when running.
It's a fine start, will get better and better.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Results sound about rite to me also ...Be very careful when runnin that lil rig, your condenser extension seems to be low and close to heat source ...Also liebig seems looks shorter than preferred minimum of around 24"(depending on jacket diameter)...Thermometer is only for personal reference on simple potstills, your charge strength will dictate actual take-off and shutdown.
Last edited by MoonBreath on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

MoonBreath wrote:Be very careful when runnin that lil rig, your condenser extension seems to be low and close to heat source .
+1
If you are on gas you really should extend your take-off.
Short condenser can slow you down, I bet you out grow that rig pretty soon.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
RandB
Novice

Post by RandB »

I have to admit that it was like watching paint dry but there was something about it that was exhilarating and mesmerizing. I watched it pretty close for the first 3 but when i saw all was set ok and doing fine I did some other things close by and looked at the flow occasionally.
I actually thought about extending the take off. How do I do that ? Thinking just a copper coupling and some more copper tubing. Sound right ? Would work better for me too since i had to raise the level of the jar with some pie pans to get closer. I am on gas but don't think it's a worry cause i had to cut some angle iron to put under the pot to keep the temp stable and have the flame pretty low still. I run the pot low on high until it gets to 140f then I put the angle irons under to stabilize the heat. Take a while to get it up but didn't want to go over. My emergency plan is to just shut the propane valve at the bottle off. Thought about that for a bit when i was worried. If I hadn't installed a acetylene gas regulator I would have had even a harder time keeping the flame in check. I'm a big believer in encapsulated pots and pans from working in the kitchen. They hold temps so much better with lower heat and faster for me.
Thanks for setting my mind at ease. Yep I' loving it and hope to be able to do better.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Yes, copper to copper union with a brass nut will work for take-off extension ..
Diffuser plate (1/4" aluminum optimal, pizza pan minimal) will evenly distribute heat while eliminating chances of scorching.
Beins its a simple potstill, stripping then distilling is basically your best and only option ...Single, low abv runs will leave you unsatisfied.
Don't stray to far, or catastrophic disaster IS POSSIBLE.
*NEVER LEAVE A WORKING STILL UNATTENDED*
Don't ever become to comfortable or lackadaisical with the risks involved.
The life you save may be your own.
crazy
Novice

Post by crazy »

When you get time RandB you might take a look at the novice guide to making cuts , you will enjoy the fruits of your labor much more :thumbup: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 63&t=13261
RandB
Novice

Post by RandB »

Thanks for the tips.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

MoonBreath wrote: Don't stray to far, or catastrophic disaster IS POSSIBLE.
*NEVER LEAVE A WORKING STILL UNATTENDED*
Don't ever become to comfortable or lackadaisical with the risks involved.
The life you save may be your own.
+2 especially early in your "career".... The worst would be to harm others...like a fire that claims the block...ugh! I still don't wander!

Nice job with your first run RandB and you received a lot of good advice already. I would probably remove the packing from your column... it doesn't give you reflux and if you are looking into grains or go with a rum later it will probably increase your chance of a puke.

Collect in smaller amounts and then you can blend them later as you wish. Smaller amounts will decrease your chances of ruining something with heads/tails. I do 20+ gallon mashes and still collect 200 ml at a time

I would agree that the thermometer isn't helpful in a pot still as well. Might just throw you off. Temps are not alwyas the same everywhere based on a number of reasons (altitude, heat source, etc...) so you will have to get comfortable with YOUR still.

Good luck, be safe!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Orrr, you could add an extension at the top and move the whole liebig over to suite you, adding copper to copper w/brass nut union for liebig adjustment...Then cut off take-off extension at the bend leaving 2" or so of take-off.
Ifn you could, solder the bowl or hard solder it for added rigidity and niceness.
Then needn to make sure the proper gaskets/seals are used.
I'm thinkn I've seen that lil rig on eBay.
RandB
Novice

Post by RandB »

Finally figured out how to reply to individuals here. Did not know what quote meant just clicked on it and alakazam loll

I was really nervous at first. And have a large fire extinguisher handy. Don't have any neighbors close by just have to worry about burning my place down. I place my jars on top of a baking tin just in case I spill some. The manufacturer of the still recommended the copper cleaning pads in the column for some reflux and taste. So just going off of recommendations there. Not planning on making a rum or all grain any time soon. Want to get my corn mash down first. I'm not a huge fan of sour mash whiskey so don't think uncle jesses recipe will work for me. I prefer a canadian whiskey or a scotch so will eventually go to grains. What effect will the copper packing have on the all grain ?
Decided to keep my middle 4 out of the 6 I collected. Been reading and contemplating my next move with the 4. Thinking for now may be best to just sample from each until I get a handle on this blending. There are a couple of cabinet shops close by I may be able to get some white oak from. Will contact them and see. Want to make my own charred wood.
I will pour number 1 and 6 back into the next pot.
Thanks to all for the help.

+2 especially early in your "career".... The worst would be to harm others...like a fire that claims the block...ugh! I still don't wander!

Nice job with your first run RandB and you received a lot of good advice already. I would probably remove the packing from your column... it doesn't give you reflux and if you are looking into grains or go with a rum later it will probably increase your chance of a puke.

Collect in smaller amounts and then you can blend them later as you wish. Smaller amounts will decrease your chances of ruining something with heads/tails. I do 20+ gallon mashes and still collect 200 ml at a time

I would agree that the thermometer isn't helpful in a pot still as well. Might just throw you off. Temps are not alwyas the same everywhere based on a number of reasons (altitude, heat source, etc...) so you will have to get comfortable with YOUR still.

Good luck, be safe![/quote]
RandB
Novice

Post by RandB »

Yep it is one off of ebay. I can post a link to it if you wish. I did pay a little extra for the encapsulated bottom pot. But I think in the long run it will pay for itself giving more even heat. I know my kitchen pots with encapsulated bottoms heat up much quicker than my other pans. I may do some mods to this later. for now thinking I best stick with it and enjoy making some so I don't burn myself out by trying to reinvent something that at this time I have no experience with. I was somewhat skeptical about the condenser tube but after using it some I am confident I made a good choice rather than going with a coil. It takes very little water flow to cool it.
Thanks for the help

MoonBreath wrote:Orrr, you could add an extension at the top and move the whole liebig over to suite you, adding copper to copper w/brass nut union for liebig adjustment...Then cut off take-off extension at the bend leaving 2" or so of take-off.
Ifn you could, solder the bowl or hard solder it for added rigidity and niceness.
Then needn to make sure the proper gaskets/seals are used.
I'm thinkn I've seen that lil rig on eBay.