pH Question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pH Question

Postby Rollercoaster639 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 am

I use well water (Borehole water) There a lot of lime in it so much so that we constantly have to de-scale our Kettles. I have checked the pH of our water on more than one occasion and it always comes in at pH 6.8.

I dont add citric acid or lemon juice to my washes anymore. Not even to cornflakes mash. I monitor the ph if I see it slowing / stopped to early and make adjustments when necessary.

My question is. I have a cornflakes wash that is dry which took 7 days so I never needed to check the pH. Just out of curiosity I measured the pH and it is ph 2.8. FG is 0.992. Is it normal for the pH to be this low.
Should I adjust the pH before I run it or is it good to go. (Will be using the column still but running as pot still)

I know that if I add sea shells it will buffer this but I dont have any at this stage. (High on my list next time I go to the sea)
Rollercoaster639
Novice

Re: pH Question

Postby still_stirrin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:38 am

Your " borehole" is hard water, but the pH is neutral, not basic. But because of the limestone, calcium carbonate, you shouldn't have to add more buffers to the water to finish fermentation. The fact that your sugar wash finished below 1.000 yet you measured a very low pH says that it is OK. Without Ca ions in the water from the limestone, the ferment might have stopped prior to finish as a result of the pH drop.

Go ahead and run it.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Re: pH Question

Postby Rollercoaster639 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 am

@SS Thanks