Success & Failure

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Success & Failure

Post by fizzix »

In my short time here, 2 things never surprise me: Success and Failure
My tips if you're new and want to succeed:

1. Read. Here's a great start: Cranky's Spoon Feeding
2. Search. Use HD Google Search up above
draft.JPG
3. Get the right equipment. "But my granny has an old tub washer I can build a fire under..." doesn't cut it.
4. Find your poison in Tried and True Recipes. They work!
5. Follow recipe steps precisely. Why would you change the process? Make step-by-step posty notes if you have to (like me) and follow them.
6. Clean that still! This will likely require your first recipe being sacrificed, so make a cheap one and consider it practice. (HD Google Cleaning A New Still now that you know how)
7. Distilling can take hours. Set aside time with no interruptions. Never leave your still unattended.
8. Come back and post about your success, rather than lament your failure.

You can do it!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Success & Failure

Post by Truckinbutch »

Prime advice .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Congratulation fizzix for having taken the time to comprehend was it all takes to practice the hobby, and a get post..

You have taken the advise provided by this forum to many others, but for whatever reason, it's never gets understood by them, and the forum gets loaded with questions that the answers are there/here..

You will really get to enjoy the journey of distillation in all it's form..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Yes - nice one fizzix - Particularly the diagram of the "Google search" :)

Those with winmaking experience can adapt recipes as can all after a bit of experience, but sound advice for novices - You'll be an asset here no doubt ! 8)
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

3. 'Get the right equipment. "But my granny has an old tub washer I can build a fire under..." doesn't cut it.'

Actually it would work fine but probably not for a newbie unless she has bricklaying and metalworking skills. Simple for them.

I have the twelve to fourteen imperial gallon copper wash boiler inserts and the bricks but little skill and nowhere to build it.

Geoff
The Baker
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Great thread! Love the google search photo as well.

There is a plethora of "old copper washers/bean cookers/broilers" around here for sale, most appear to me to be tin but it could just be the patina.

with pintoshines template for a copper still, doubt I'd even mess with one of them old copper boilers. Soldering isn't too difficult and you might enjoy the building process. Tool collection and slight fabrication skills would be beneficial yet not mandatory.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

There you are Reverend! Good to see you back.
Maybe there should be a step "Don't let any negativity bring you down."
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

You hit it spot on..fizzix
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

One great point you made, (in your illustration) is leaving the SPACE when using HD Google search. I've always meant to make a post about it, especially when I see guys saying
that they are not getting results using it. I wonder if there is a way it can be fixed so ya don't have to make a space before typing.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

9. Use your own brain and knowledge, do not follow orders or regulations. Think and observe and think again!