Quick question from newbie

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

trebor66n2
Novice

Quick question from newbie

Post by trebor66n2 »

I just purchased a 7 ft piece of 3 inch type m copper pipe for 25 bux at a sale. My question is, to use this on a keg, can I just get a 2 in to 3 inch coupler for a keg still, or to get the most out of it, do I need a bigger opening in the keg?
Bushman
Admin

Re: Quick question from newbie

Post by Bushman »

Short answer is yes, it is the easiest way to do it. I have a 4" column and I cut my opening to fit the positive is it makes cleaning easier but it was hard to weld the ferrule as the top of the keg because it has different thicknesses and making sure it was perpendicular so the column was vertical is important.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Nice find on the 3" copper, Trebor.

A lot of guys use a 2 x 3" reducer. You can get 'em for $10 plus shipping. Like Bushman says, it eliminates the hassle of welding a SS ferrule on. Slap a couple of ferrules on your pipe and bob's your uncle. What kinda still you gonna make?

This is what mine looks like.
Attachments
Pot head copy.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
trebor66n2
Novice

Post by trebor66n2 »

Ok thanx guys . I didn't want to have to mess with welding on the keg
trebor66n2
Novice

Post by trebor66n2 »

Just a pot still to start. Just started this hobby. Been using a 3 gallon copper still. I like the idea of a Nixon stone though
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Twisted Brick’s solution is mighty nice. I bet it makes a good drop. The 3” allows the vapor to slow in the riser, which will cause a little expansion (and light passive reflux). That’ll help the vapor stabilize during the run. The riser doesn’t need to be tall, in fact, what you’ve got TB is about perfect for the vapor production rate.

So trebor66n2, I strongly suggest you consider a potstill to start. It’ll get you a fantastic stripping tool, plus it’ll make you a great flavored spirit on a spirit run....(2X).

A Nixon/Stone is a good LM design, but really is best suited for neutrals...vodka and NGS. Those are building blocks for other “flavored” spirits, ie - gin, etc. (often quoted...”patience is the hardest thing to get into the bottle”)

So, focus first on your fermenting skills and make sure you can get repeatable results from the fermenter. A potstill will get you some flavorfull product to get into an aging barrel quickly...and then the wait for maturity from the cask.

Everybody dreams of making 190 proof spirits from their still....but the real producers rarely push the product that high, unless intended for a secondary product...maceration, etc. A functional potstill...with a skilled operator is more valuable to the consumer. Believe me...your friends will appreciate the flavored spirits better...because they’re true “small batch” products.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

still_stirrin wrote: So trebor66n2, I strongly suggest you consider a potstill to start. It’ll get you a fantastic stripping tool, plus it’ll make you a great flavored spirit on a spirit run....(2X).
+1

I went modular with my length of 3", and to be perfectly honest, I'm so pleased with my pot still results, its gonna take me a while to get around to making a neutral with my column.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
trebor66n2
Novice

Post by trebor66n2 »

I agree still_stiirrin. The patience is something I last. At 52 I thought is know better, lol. While I was waiting for my 3 gallon still to arrive , I was dreaming big. I actually don't need anything bigger than my 3 gallon still. YET.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

trebor66n2 wrote: I actually don't need anything bigger than my 3 gallon still. YET.
I don't believe it! Once you hook up your fine copper pot still head to a 15gal keg, you cut your stripping time in half, create enough low wines for 1 spirit run, and badda bing!

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun