Novice Guide for Cuts (pot still)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Moscca
Novice

Re: Novice Guide for Cuts (pot still)

Post by Moscca »

I thought I was just getting better in making cuts, as I found out that my rum gets cloudy when I leave it 3-4 hours in contact with air.
As long as it is in the closed bottle @ 40 % there is no problem.
Can this be to much tails ?

M.
halo
Novice

Post by halo »

thanks for the cool guide still trying to learn about this cut stuff and this will really help me
really love the taste taste taste side of this.
Thanks again Paul
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great Guide - needed this advice

Post by varocketry »

I am so glad I remembered a reference by RAD or someone to this thread as I've collected three STRIPPING RUNs of UJSSM from my pot still. I now have about 8 gallons accumulated. So sometime this week as the new wash gets chugging in the fermenter, maybe I'll have time to do my first SPIRITS RUN using this cuts guide.

I have a bunch of pint ball jars so I can easily do 12oz/300ml collections as cuts and learn as much as I can sense as I go along. I can then use the sampling/blending methodology described up front to pick the keepers and re-users.

My thanks to all contributors and KIWI.
-Just need something else to build. -
Antidotum
Novice

Post by Antidotum »

is there a thread for reflux still cuts?

I found one, no need to answer my question! thanks though!
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Did my first SPIRIT RUN with 8.5 gals of low wines from stripping runs on my POT STILL. RAD's calculator suggested 1 gallon added water would dilute the 37% low wines to 33%, so I did.

I'm not sure how the math works because I collected 51 jars of 12 oz down to 45% ABV measured warm as collected. We'll see how it tests out tomorrow. 612 oz is just short of five gallons. Maybe I didn't measure the starting ABV properly ... doesn't seem to make sense. Jar #8 tested at 80%.

The tasting cuts thing didn't work too well as all the drippings into the spoon were hot (Spicy and burned) for the entire effort. I could detect a difference between the early, middle, and late cuts but none of it tasted smooth and good. Tasted like I imagine Everclear grain alcohol tasting. I guess I have a lot to learn.

I thought I was into tails when a real burning started up again. Can't say I ever detected "WET PAPER" smell or taste. And the ABV was still 60% so I collected another gallon or so in 12 oz increments down to 45%.

Disappointed, for now. Let's see if anything tastes better after a little breathing.
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

varocketry wrote:Did my first SPIRIT RUN with 8.5 gals of low wines from stripping runs on my POT STILL. RAD's calculator suggested 1 gallon added water would dilute the 37% low wines to 33%, so I did.

I'm not sure how the math works because I collected 51 jars of 12 oz down to 45% ABV measured warm as collected. We'll see how it tests out tomorrow. 612 oz is just short of five gallons. Maybe I didn't measure the starting ABV properly ... doesn't seem to make sense. Jar #8 tested at 80%.

The tasting cuts thing didn't work too well as all the drippings into the spoon were hot (Spicy and burned) for the entire effort. I could detect a difference between the early, middle, and late cuts but none of it tasted smooth and good. Tasted like I imagine Everclear grain alcohol tasting. I guess I have a lot to learn.

I thought I was into tails when a real burning started up again. Can't say I ever detected "WET PAPER" smell or taste. And the ABV was still 60% so I collected another gallon or so in 12 oz increments down to 45%.

Disappointed, for now. Let's see if anything tastes better after a little breathing.
should have collected down further if it was 45% thats still 90 proof most of us collect down to 25 or 30%, after it airs out you should be able to tell some difference
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Guess I've had too many years drinking Jack on 7UP or coke to be a good cut selector ... it all tasted like various degrees of fire water. But as I went through them I could distinguish between sharp then milder then bitter/burning at the end.

I ended up saving about 1/3 of the 36 jars collected at 12ozs each.

I don't know how to distinguish yet between the keeps so I ended up pouring 1/3 of each jar into three 1/2 gallon Ball jars ... worked out just right.

Now to read up on how to mix in the Jack Daniels chips brought back from Lynchburg trip this summer.
Colin202
Novice

Post by Colin202 »

So I've had mixed results so far with cuts but am gettin better each run. My real question is, once split into several small containers on a spirit run, any thoughts on tasting as is or better to dilute slightly? Just wondering what works for people
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

EVeryone says to dilute so you don;t kill/burn yourself with a high proof swig.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

varocketry wrote:EVeryone says to dilute so you don;t kill/burn yourself with a high proof swig.
Yes if ABV is high. But diluting to 30% or even 20% will bring out flavors you didn't know were there. And can help making cuts.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Sorry, but I consider adding to this post near sacralidge... We should be carefull to what is added here...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

here is an experiment all noobs should try for learning cuts...today i did a cleaning and sac run.
i used a 1.15L of the cheapest rum the store had to offer...undrinkable off the shelf
saving some of the bottle for a baseline, i ran the rest with some water and collected 75Ml at a time
this commercial product produced an awful foreshot in #1
sniffing and tasting my way through 12 more samples until the last jar showed no ABV and was just distilled water was a huge learning experience in cuts.

I actually ended up with some usable beverage and some good tail flavour to mix into the next rum wash i run.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

HDNB wrote:here is an experiment all noobs should try for learning cuts...today i did a cleaning and sac run.
i used a 1.15L of the cheapest rum the store had to offer...undrinkable off the shelf
saving some of the bottle for a baseline, i ran the rest with some water and collected 75Ml at a time
this commercial product produced an awful foreshot in #1
sniffing and tasting my way through 12 more samples until the last jar showed no ABV and was just distilled water was a huge learning experience in cuts.

I actually ended up with some usable beverage and some good tail flavour to mix into the next rum wash i run.
do not save any of this you shouldnt have even tasted it this is a sacrificial run, its what it says its being sacrificed. throw it away
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

great point, a sac run is just that.

in my defense, the still was cleaned, used for stripping and spirit runs, before i did the super acid wash cleaning mentioned here....the point of post being the commercial bottle with a baseline flavour helped me identify fores through tails, and i thought it so useful i wanted to share with like minded noobs that are having difficulties identifying what "should" be. in fact this could be done at any point in your career.
IMHO

i know i screwed the pooch on forgetting the vinegar run on my first cleaning....it cost me a 100 bucks in feed stock that got tossed due to flux contamination. but frankly, this run is clean, clean, clean.

for clarification- the suggestion was for helping with cuts....AFTER a thorough cleaning that can be researched in nooby novice land....i'm heading back there now.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

After discarding the 1st 8oz per 5-6gal of wash (foreshots), I have great results when I number all my jars, stop collecting @30%..
RERUN the first jar & all of the jars below 45-50% (depending on taste) with future run.
I always keep the very center jar (or 2 depending on run volume).
Proof in a 1-3gal. glass jar, separate, place paper towel in lids for 1day Angels share.
Try that! :wtf:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Appalachian Outlaw
Novice

Post by Appalachian Outlaw »

can somebody please answer this one for me, I have not seen anything on this thread or anywhere on this site about what I am experiencing.. the last few strip runs on my simple pot still I have noticed that I have an oily film like it is going into tails even in my first jar, even though it is a minute amount I can see it on top of the distillate, is this supposed to happen in heads also??

I normally do not try to make cuts on a strip run, but I decided to start doing it to practice making cuts and see if any of my first run hooch was fit to drink, I normally just do spirit runs and get very good results and normally do not ever notice the oily spots or film until I know I am In tales by either %ABV or by looking at thermometer and noticing that I am at end of run.

my spirit runs normally start at 80-82 %ABV and my tails normally start to come in around 73%ABV, and my hearts of course lie in between. that is one gallon roughly of hearts roughly with one quart of heads and two and a half quarts of tails down to 30%. I am very pleased with what I keep and combine for my hearts and keep it white for drinking.

I collect in half-pint jars and sit down and dilute and smell and taste each one and keep only the ones that smell and taste good to me. I have a four gallon pot and a worm condenser.

does this sound correct or at least close to average? my spirit runs I dilute to 40%.

why can I not get good cuts on my strip runs for a single foot whiskey? is four gallons not enough to do so, but when all saved up and now running a 40% wash of combined low wines the higher content allows better separation? should I just not worry about trying to practice cuts on a strip run and just run it? I hope someone can help me clear this up.. thanks guys..
OUTLAW TILL THE DAY I DIE!!!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Run that strip run full charge till it tastes like sugar water ..Discard foreshots ..
Seperate into 3/4 full 1pt. jars.Keep the very center jar for you ..If you're not satisfied with the center jar, put back with the rest for spirit run ..
Start spirit run w/full charge until start of foreshots, drip through foreshots, then keep burner adjusted to solid pencil tip stream through the whole run ..
Also, don't go from fermenter to pot..Put wash into glass carboy (5gal.bucket OK ) and let settle 1day..That may help the 'smearing' and clear that up.
Heads & Tails are almost always 'blurred'..
4gal. pots are common, just drive it a little slower.
Good Luck!
Appalachian Outlaw
Novice

I always discard 4shots, I have thought about using pint jars instead of half pint jars. I have no problems and am actually getting better at making cuts and get very good results from a spirit run.

I always let my wash clear for a day, my distillate is always crystal clear from start to finish, more clear than water seems like, never an issue with cloudy or blurry. I use very good well water.. the only thing that is ever in my distillate is the oily film of tails, but it shows up some in my heads on my strip run, and it only shows up in my tails on spirit run. on my spirit runs my heads and hearts are always crystal clear like they should be.

I guess I did not clarify enough, my question was actually, why do my strip runs not cut as good as spirit runs and was it because of the small amount of wash. some people get good cuts and like single foot whiskey, I however can not seem to get good drink on a single run.. sorry if there was some confusion. I consider myself still a novice at this but I have 22 runs under my belt now and have produced some very good drink..
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Strip runs won't ever turn out as good as spirit runs, due to the full throttle charge.
Also, you may be filling your pot to full on strip run.
As long as you're happy with the spirit run, you're on the right track
Oily heads & tails are normal on strip runs.
You do seem to be taking pride in your efforts ..Success always follows!
A larger pot will help also ..Good Luck.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Appalachian Outlaw wrote:I collect in half-pint jars and sit down and dilute and smell and taste each one and keep only the ones that smell and taste good to me. I have a four gallon pot and a worm condenser.
For smaller runs, 2 - 4 gallons, I collect 125ml/4oz per jar so I end up with ~12 jars, minimum...

What you are seeing is fusel oils carrying over on all jars during your strip runs and this is not at all unusual... I've gotten to the point where I don't even collect in separate jars for strip runs... I just slip a 1 gallon jug under the output of my parrots beak and collect down to 20% - 30%... If it starts smelling too rank I just call it quits, regardless of the %ABV...
Appalachian Outlaw
Novice

thanks for your input guys, I honestly really do appreciate it very much! I had been just doing strip runs in gallon jar, I just got curious to see if my single run whiskey was any good, I saw the oil in the heads and thought something was wrong. I am going back to just stripping hard to a gallon jar and will concentrate more on my spirit runs and see if I can produce an even better product than what I do now.

my goal that I set for myself when I first started reading this site and decided to give it a try is to teach myself how to malt corn and make pure corn likker, no added sugar, I want to learn to do it like the old timers used to do it. I know I will get ragged on and told that it takes a ton of corn to do it, well I am aware of all that is involved, I just want to learn how it used to be done back in the day and done with pride!

it took me quite a while but I have actually found someone here in the hills that actually still grows pure hickory cane corn from back in the day, the 8 row variety and I purchased some seed from him, I have the land to grown it on and I plan on growing it this year.. I am going to try to learn how to malt corn this summer and do it until I get good at it.

I must say that this is by far the most interesting hobby that I have had in all my years on this planet!

I do plan on acquiring a larger pot, maybe about 15 gal or so but that will be my limit. thanks again guys for you opinion and advice.. SHINE ON!!!
Prime83
Novice

Post by Prime83 »

I am currently using a 1 gallon Mr. Distiller Table Top Still. I am wondering if I would make my cut like a traditional pot still? Or if I would cut it differently.
islandgreen1971
Novice

Post by islandgreen1971 »

Thanks kiwi !!! Im going to be practicing on UJSSM TIL I get used to mu equipment and the cuts. Very good info, Cheers man!!!
islandgreen1971
Novice

Post by islandgreen1971 »

Thanks kiwi !!! Im going to be practicing on UJSSM TIL I get used to mu equipment and the cuts. Very good info, Cheers man!!!
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I was curious so tried something. Remembering from many, many years ago my dad had purchased a bottle of 151 rum. Showing us kids how high the alcohol was by placing a tiny bit on,a spoon and holding it over the sink while letting it burn out. What remained was the sweet flavor of the rum. So I decided to try this, outdoors and away from flammable objects with various parts of my cuts. What I noticed after letting it burn for only a few seconds is that you could really taste the heads/tails in those parts of the run. Now I know mixing with a bit of water is much the same, but this made the taste much more noticeable. And no, I didnt swallow. I spit and rinse when I'm doing cuts...otherwise they all start tasting good lol. Anyways, any input on this? I still use the dilution since it's quicker and easier to test, but curious of thoughts.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Well I now see why there have been no comments to my last post...found exactly the answer in a subject in novice section posted by tater. There's so much info on this site even after a year of reading I still find things I have missed and learn more. Still proud of myself for figuring the flame thing out on my own :D
Timeking
Novice

Post by Timeking »

Quick question. If I have to shut down in the middle
Of a run do I have to get rid of the first bit again
Some people call it a kiser blade I call it a sling blade
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I haven't been around much lately but cuts are dear to me as I am a single run pot stiller. Here' my take on doing cuts.
Collect in the smallest containers you are comfortable using. I use 250 ml jars with a 12 gallon charge. That's allot of jars! This is key.
AIR FOR 24 hours minimum
Never start tasting/smelling on the heads end, it will ruin your senses. Start in the middle and work your way towards tails. The moment there is something undesirable, move that jar back a bit. Don't stop there though as there may be a couple jars deeper in tails that are yummy.
Then go back to the starting point and work your way toward heads. As soon as you taste anything not right, burning etc. stop.... No need to god further.don't be tempted to think that jar with only a little heady taste will be fine mixed in.... It won't.
All tasting should be watered with good water. Disregard ABV completely, it is what it is. Everything between your stop jars is keeper yummy goodness. If you have any jars past the tails mark that are yummy, keep them too and blend it all together.

Bliss is all yours .... Go forth all ye
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Timeking wrote:Quick question. If I have to shut down in the middle
Of a run do I have to get rid of the first bit again
Pretty sure this is another issue of the answer being in the New Distillers Reading Lounge... If you read that entire forum you will learn a whole lot and be less apt to ask an already answered question... Could I answer your question...??? Yes... Will I...??? No, because then you'll just ask another question without doing what we consider mandatory research and I'd be spoonfeeding...
Timeking
Novice

Post by Timeking »

Well I read all the time, sometimes twice before it sinks in
I guess I missed it somewhere. SO ANYWAY. Thanks for the help
Some people call it a kiser blade I call it a sling blade