sugar wash - which yeast question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mroe
Novice

sugar wash - which yeast question

Post by mroe »

I am just making a wash of sugar and water and yeast, let it work, then distill it and add gin essence. Works for me. My question is this, I've been reading a lot on this forum about people just using yeast they buy in the grocery store. To date I've been using turbo yeast, which seems to give me a pretty good amount of achool. Would I get about the same amount using grocery store bought yeast, like fleshmans, ore red seal? It sure would be cheaper than turbo.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: sugar wash - which yeast question

Post by Dnderhead »

bakers yeast will make up to 17% alcohol but your going to need to add nutrients, in the end you will have a better product.
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

personally never used a turbo yeast. the name just scares me...makes me think of haste. haste=waste IMO.

bakers has never done me wrong. havent seen a reason to use turbo yeast
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
mroe
Novice

Post by mroe »

Okay, so bakers yeats will work, great. Now by that, you mean I can use the little packets you buy in the store, like Fleshmans, etc. Right? Also I do have a jar of yeast nutiments. What proportions are your using in a 5 gallon wash?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

mroe wrote:Okay, so bakers yeats will work, great. Now by that, you mean I can use the little packets you buy in the store, like Fleshmans, etc. Right? Also I do have a jar of yeast nutiments. What proportions are your using in a 5 gallon wash?
Don't but 3-packs of sachets as they are a very expensive way to go... I get my Fleischmann's at Sam's Club and pay $4.16 for 2 - 1lb bricks...
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

If you go to the Tried and True section and look up Wino's Plain Ol' Sugar Wash I think you'll find the answers you are looking for.

Braz
Braz
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

rad14701 wrote:Don't but 3-packs of sachets as they are a very expensive way to go... I get my Fleischmann's at Sam's Club and pay $4.16 for 2 - 1lb bricks...
there you go again rad, tootin your horn about your bricks of yeast. :twisted: cant seem to find them around here as the nearest sams club is 90+ miles away.

i get the jars of yeast from the grocery store at 5.00 dollars per 3 oz.

now you got me thinking...the brew shop is also 90+ miles away, been meanin to go there. i guess i could also go to that town to get some kilos of yeast...would be worth it at that price. THANKS AGAIN RAD!
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I haven't used a Lb. of yeast in 10 years,I start a ferment in the spring with one TAB spoon and keep it going all summer, if I change to a different
type of wash/mash . I just remove yeast from the top of trub. last spring I splurged and bought 1, 5gm pack of scotch ale yeast and ran off
10-20 ferments of single malt.if you want to start another wash/mesh ,just take a cup or two of "beer" when the yeast is active and add it to the next.wash/mash.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Dnderhead, you're not doing your part to boost the US economy... :twisted:

1 sachet... Pffft...!!! I waste more dry yeast in a year during handling... :? I'll try to save it up and send it to you for Christmas... :P Don't want you dippin into your pin money... :roll:
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

What can I say, I'm part scotch/Irish/welsh and native american.
vicrider
Swill Maker

Post by vicrider »

Toofless,
You can get the 2 - 1lb bricks of fleishmanns on amazon for about $6 if you look around and $7 for shipping. Thats cheaper than driving 180 miles and will save you a boat load over the jars.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
mroe
Novice

Post by mroe »

I followed the Wino's Plain Ol' Sugar Wash recipe and its started bubbling the same day, and was bubbling like crazy. Now, the second day and it seems to have slowed. This is my first time using bakers yeast, and nutrients, etc. So I'm wondering if this is normal. When I use Turbo yeast it goes prettty steady for about a week. One diffrence I noticed is that most turbo yeast recipes call for 16 pounds of sugar. Wino's only calls for 8lbs. I wonder if that's the difference? All comments welcome.
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

amazon? i thought they only sold books! yeast huh...thatll save me a trip.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Mroe,,
the more sugar you add the more alcohol you will have but you also have more "off flavors"
16lb. sugar in 6 gal.=18.8% in 5gal.=22.5%
8lb sugar in 6gal. =9.4% and in 5 gal.=11.3%
the less sugar the faster ferments.you can do 2 or three lower percent washes (and have better product)
in the same time it takes for one high percent wash
SaltUbar
Novice

Post by SaltUbar »

Hi Mroe,
Report this postReply with quoteRe: sugar wash - which yeast question
by mroe » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:07 pm

I followed the Wino's Plain Ol' Sugar Wash recipe and its started bubbling the same day, and was bubbling like crazy. Now, the second day and it seems to have slowed. This is my first time using bakers yeast, and nutrients, etc. So I'm wondering if this is normal. When I use Turbo yeast it goes prettty steady for about a week. One diffrence I noticed is that most turbo yeast recipes call for 16 pounds of sugar. Wino's only calls for 8lbs. I wonder if that's the difference? All comments welcome
I make WPOSW take a look at what I have found with the testing I have done with Ph control.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=11424

Hope it helps
If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got