How clear is clear? Racking sugar wash without finnings.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Saccie
Novice

How clear is clear? Racking sugar wash without finnings.

Post by Saccie »

Hi guys,

I recently gave my first attempt at clearing without use of finnings with winos sugar wash.

I racked once, removed all the bubbles and left in fridge for a week. As far as I could tell there was no yeast particles suspended but the water was still cloudy, not a yeast type merkyness just not clear although I could see the bottom of the fermenter.

Anyhow ran through the still and believe it came out cleaner and less off taste than using turbo clear and distilling after 24 hrs like I had been.

I did notice with turbo clear apart from colour to the wash it is cristal clear. Is this same clarity to be expected without using finnings and allowing the wash to set on its own. Or did what I end up with after a week as clear as it will get? What experience have you guys had?

Thanks!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: How clear is clear? Racking sugar wash without finnings.

Post by Dnderhead »

if it works for you do it, every buddy has a little bit different way of doing things.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

My first WPOSW (3gal.) sat in the cool garage for two full weeks after I racked it off the fermenter. By that time it had become water clear.

My second batch (5gal.) was racked three days ago and the top two-three inches is now water clear and still cloudy below that. Time is your friend, though I don't know if it is necessary to wait for it to become water clear or not. It might not make any difference to the end product.

Braz
Braz
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

only thing ive cleared was a sugar wash. once.

i didnt notice a difference. some people say it MUST be done. i dont.
Dnderhead wrote:if it works for you do it, every buddy has a little bit different way of doing things.
+1
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I only degas and let the solids drop... I've gone for see through clear with a colorful tint but haven't noticed a difference in final product, therefore I don't fuss beyond the simpler method...I've never used clearing agents and probably never will...
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

What are the thoughts on

1) degasing at racking

2) adding gelatin dissolved in hot water

3) let it settle
The Friendly Spirit
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Rod wrote:What are the thoughts on

1) degasing at racking

2) adding gelatin dissolved in hot water

3) let it settle
I'd consider the following to be a more accurate sequence of events...

1) degas
2) add gelatin dissolved in hot water
3) let it settle
4) rack
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Not to hi-jack, but this brings up a question. I have not done anything to degas before racking into the "settling" container but when I do I hold the siphon hose above the wash level in the receiving container and let it sort of splash in. It seems to me that this would serve to degas it. Right? Wrong?

Braz
Braz
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Braz wrote:Not to hi-jack, but this brings up a question. I have not done anything to degas before racking into the "settling" container but when I do I hold the siphon hose above the wash level in the receiving container and let it sort of splash in. It seems to me that this would serve to degas it. Right? Wrong?

Braz
Degassing helps the solids settle/drop from the wash, what we call clearing, more readily, which is why it helps to do it as soon as fermentation is complete...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

you should not git air into it, so all you need to do stir to remove the Co2, the vinters use a "whip"
witch is something like you'd stir pant with.
vicrider
Swill Maker

Post by vicrider »

Up to this point I have only run sugar washes but I just let um settle for a couple of days and run um. If I were using a boiler with an internal element I might be a little more picky but so far its worked for me. V
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
Saccie
Novice

Post by Saccie »

Good stuff guys, usually to degas my wash i tip from fermenter to fermenter. But as I just read its also bad to get more air back into the wash?

Maybe I will invest in some type of paint mixer for my drill. I have tried a paddle but it doesn't really seem to do much degassing :S I stir and I stir and yeah not back gas or smell or bubbles comin out.

Thanks!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

All you are doing when stirring to degas is, essentially, helping to release and CO2 which is still clinging to a nucleation point within the trub and still floating solids due to nucleation... A bit if slow stirring, without aerating, is all that is required...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

aerating the wash "could" produce acetic acid. not so much if you used the wash right away but if it sits awhile.
Saccie
Novice

Post by Saccie »

Ok thanks, what I'll do is give it a bit of a stir with the paddle and see how she goes :)

Its just that i noticed from tipping fermenter to fermenter i had far far more gas smell etc escaping/bubbling I figured this was doing a better job till the info you guys have provided :)