Propane burner recommendations???

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

diesel4ever
Novice

Propane burner recommendations???

Post by diesel4ever »

Well my 240 volt home made burner started acting up on my last batch and ended up having to just do a stripping run. Temp would not stay steady and was told the reluctor is going bad? Anyways rather than trying to repair it again I'm just going to switch to a propane burner. What all does everyone have and how do you like them? I'm currently looking at the Bayou Classic SP10. Anyone using this one?
ozone39
Rumrunner

Re: Propane burner recommendations???

Post by ozone39 »

I run two different burners. An inverted Mr. heater on my gin still (flavoring), and I use a turkey fryer burner on my (stripping) work horse still ((I ordered it as a kit).
thinking inside the box is for squares....
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

Check this one out and see what you think about it!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 5490_15490

I got in mind to use the one I ordered with an adjustable regulator...
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

Heres a few:
http://www.bayouclassicfryers.com/gas-cookers.shtml

I got my (just the burner) here -hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
diesel4ever
Novice

Post by diesel4ever »

I've check those out. Here is the one I am talking about
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029 ... JYSMV8HCVY
This one comes with the hose regulator and control valve for $39.95 with free shipping. It's like 90,000 BTU's. The one at Northern tool looks like a good heavy duty one but I'd have to build a hose/regulator and valve assy for it since the control valves would probably be under my keg when in use and it's on backorder for 15-30 days.

Is anyone out there using the NH one? What kind of hose and regulator did you have to use?
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

I bought a hose/adjustable regulator combo at Walmart for $20, still waiting on the unit to come in... backordered as you stated.... :(
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

I got the banjo burner. absolutely love it for every reason. seemingly infinite heat control, fits a 15.5gal keg perfectly and really really cranks out the heat. i go through about half of a 18 gal propane tank in a 7 hour run. got it from hotplates.com i believe. (actually in positive about this now).

I also saw yesterday in a bass pro shops catalog that they have a turkey fryer (30 qt), with burner for under 100 bucks i think. the cool thing is is that the burner has arms up it to support the boiler, so there is very very little chance of the pot falling OH! plus it has a spigot on the bottom of it already.

here, check 'er out: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

I'm using the Bayou Classic SP-10. It works fine for me. It will put out way more heat than I ever need and I run it pretty low most of the time. I'd recommend it. When I got mine in January, Amazon had it for $39.95. Cheaper than Bayou's price by about 13 bucks - about enough to cover the shipping cost.

Braz
Braz
diesel4ever
Novice

Post by diesel4ever »

Well thanks everyone. Decided to buy the Bayou classic SP10. Hopefully this will work good for me.
ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 »

I built a ring out of 3/4" box iron that goes around the bottom perimeter of the kettle pot. I found that the wash has a tendency to burn to the pot where the pot touches the steel ribs on the burner (it was very minimal, but I didn't like it). It also allows the heat to move around in that developed space more evenly. These burners work fantastic...
thinking inside the box is for squares....
roxtar
Novice

Post by roxtar »

I have the Bayou Classic SP-10. Works really well. I think they don't recommend using something as large as a keg but it works fine for me. Heats up quick and doesn't seem to guzzle the propane. I keep the heat really low and it keeps a steady temp.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

I use a propane burner built by Sabco (the keg guys).

It's a bit more expensive than other burners, but as far as I know it's the ony one specifically designed to hold a full 15.5 gallon keg. It's VERY stable and built like a tank.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

I also have the bayou classic sp-10, it heats a 15 gallon pot still (insulated), with no problem and is is the perfect size for the keg to sit on, I am very happy with it.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
Pacman0810
Novice

Post by Pacman0810 »

so I just bought a Bayou SP-10 and I feel like it burns really hot with no control. When I tried turning it down, i just put the flame out. Even just part of the way open my vapor temp was getting up to 98 C. I had steam coming out and instead of drips it was pouring. Might have been a few things I did wrong. It was my first run. 5 gal sugar run. 10lbs of sugar, 1.25 lbs of mashed potatoes, 6 oz tomato paste and a tbsp of bakers yeast.

Did you guys buy a some kind of regulator? Am I using it incorrectly? Just trying to figure out what I did wrong and I am thinking my heat source was one of the problems.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Pacman0810 wrote:so I just bought a Bayou SP-10 and I feel like it burns really hot with no control. When I tried turning it down, i just put the flame out. Even just part of the way open my vapor temp was getting up to 98 C. I had steam coming out and instead of drips it was pouring. Might have been a few things I did wrong. It was my first run. 5 gal sugar run. 10lbs of sugar, 1.25 lbs of mashed potatoes, 6 oz tomato paste and a tbsp of bakers yeast.

Did you guys buy a some kind of regulator? Am I using it incorrectly? Just trying to figure out what I did wrong and I am thinking my heat source was one of the problems.
:wtf:... Yes, you are using it incorrectly. That rig comes with a regulator. :problem: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP1 ... B000291GBQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Turn both valves off. Now, turn the tank's valve on all the way. Then use the regulator valve to control the flame during and after ignition.

When your done, turn both valves off and disconnect the fittings.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Pacman0810 wrote:so I just bought a Bayou SP-10 and I feel like it burns really hot with no control. When I tried turning it down, i just put the flame out. Even just part of the way open my vapor temp was getting up to 98 C. I had steam coming out and instead of drips it was pouring. Might have been a few things I did wrong. It was my first run. 5 gal sugar run. 10lbs of sugar, 1.25 lbs of mashed potatoes, 6 oz tomato paste and a tbsp of bakers yeast.

I hope to hell you ARE USING A REGULATOR! If not STOPusint it immediately and go get one!
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Pacman0810
Novice

Post by Pacman0810 »

bearriver,

so is the regulator like that on a gas stove? That the farther you turn it, the lower it will go? I used in at about 10am on saturday and the flame was invisible. Could judge anything but the sound. thinking about trying it tonight when I could see the flame. just want to make sure I am using it right. Thanks,
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

If you can't see the flame it is burning very efficiently . Yellow beards are undesirable . I use a BC 60,000 btu burner under my 15 gal boiler that has a car wheel collett and heat shroud . I get fine heat control . Turn your main tank valve full open . Slooowwly open the regulator valve to light it . The newer regulator valves have a safety valve restrictor that will screw any regulation if you open the valve too fast .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

If you are not sure your burner needs a regulator, look at the gas orifice...the small hole the gas comes out of just before it's burnt. If the hole is microscopic, barely visible with the naked eye then it is an unregulated burner; that is, the tiny hole IS the regulator.

If the hole is clearly visible, like 0,5mm or more, then it needs a regulated low pressure supply of gas.

Both of these need a separate control valve to adjust the flow of gas to the flame. The tap on the gas tank will never give proper flame adjustment...you will be chasing your tail up and down over and over.

Burners that need regulated gas nearly always have a separate simple tap to control the flame. A simple tap is like a stop-cock.

Burners that use unregulaed gas at full tank pressure often have no further control...they are on full-blast, or off. They also need a separate high pressure tap and plumbing for fine control of gasses to the flame. High pressure taps are needle valves.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed