The next morning, I had no headache???

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

beerbaron
Novice

The next morning, I had no headache???

Post by beerbaron »

I’m still new at distilling, just did one batch a few months ago. One thing that I noticed is that my spirits doesn’t give me a headache. I went camping a few weeks ago and did a test on my spirits. I had 1 “store bought bottle” of rum and 3 bottles of my own distilled rum. The first day I drank the store bought rum. The next morning, I had a headache. Day 2 I drank my rum. The next morning no headache, but I was a bit dry. Day 3 and 4 the same as day 2.

Is any body experiencing the same thing or did I just get lucky with my first batch?
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Re: The next morning, I had no headache???

Post by Austin Nichols »

I'm new at the game too, and experiencing the same phenomenon for the last 6 weeks :mrgreen:

AL.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Yup, that'll happen, welcome to the home distillers no-hangover club :)
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

I have never had a headache from my spirits. I have woke up still drunk but never had a headache.
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

Beware...your GOOD homestilled hooch does not punish you with a headache. Therefore it is easier to over-indulge with only a few warning signs...slight loss of balance or a slight stumbling means enough drinkin has bin done that night. Plain fuzziness next mornin or wakin up pissed is sign of too much the night before.

I learned to regulate things between 5pm and 10pm. That's 5 hours of drinkin time. Never before 5pm...a modification of my pappy's rule of never before 10am. Never after 10pm iff'n I go sleep at 12pm...gives 2 hrs for cooling off cos of bad dreams!

Alcoholism can creep up more easily an is more sneaky without the headaches. There's the one an only plus for commercial hooch...it will punish you an keep ya on the straight-an-narrow mor-or-less dependin.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

Ayay wrote:Alcoholism can creep up more easily an is more sneaky without the headaches.
Ahhhhh wellllllll no point me worrying bout that too much :ebiggrin: at least now I can feel good and be an alcoholic at the same time :mrgreen:

Kentucky
shinner wrote:I have woke up still drunk but never had a headache
I am soo glad you admitted it and not me :lol:

AL.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Austin Nichols wrote:I am soo glad you admitted it and not me
That was funny.

Yeah, not the same kind of heady drunkeness. And sober up rather quickly and quite smoothly.

Post awhile back where the OP was sayin his friends didn't think the homemade got them fuck'd up enough.

I'll take the smooth route thank you.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

...... honestly I'm not an alcoholic, I just need to empty some more bottles for my next run :mrgreen:
GreyGambler
Bootlegger

Post by GreyGambler »

I really miss the morning when the sun comes up and it feels like someone is stabbing me in the eye with a screwdriver... not :!:
#5559 -Take what you can and give nothing back... the great Captain Jack Sparrow
Caprimulgus
Swill Maker

Post by Caprimulgus »

So, you did get that divorce? :ewink:
Nobody puts baby in the corner....
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18918
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

No headache but I did wake up a couple times and it was hard to keep from hands from wobblin. I'd had quite a bit too much.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

One major concern with drinking our home made spirits, especially at higher proof, is the risk of excessive dehydration... Dehydration can cause an entire range of medical problems if not recognized and remedied... And, no, drinking more hooch isn't the cure... Whether you piss a lot or not, you will dehydrate...
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

i have noticed the same thing, as did the 20 people that had my hootch.
no hangover, but a little dry in morning.
after a few drinks, you get cloudy. but you never hit that "fall over" drunk. just a happy place is found.
the only guys that have trouble with my stuff is the macho types that take a shot of 188proof. :roll:
7 year column distiller
makes pretty good barn vodka
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

maritime wrote:i have noticed the same thing, as did the 20 people that had my hootch.
after a few drinks, you get cloudy. but you never hit that "fall over" drunk. just a happy place is found.
the only guys that have trouble with my stuff is the macho types that take a shot of 188proof. :roll:
ya autta not be passin that around. otherwise, the machos will be waking up in the hospital and pointing the finger at you. :idea:
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

:!: If they wake up... :|
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

maritime wrote:i have noticed the same thing, as did the 20 people that had my hootch.
Be wise to serve no stronger then 100 proof.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

....adding to Rads dehydration comment.

One of the first signs of being mildly dehydrated is headaches and your urine turns a darker than normal colour (like you been taking vitamin B tabs) once you reach this stage it is likely you will feel like you have a hangover anyway.

Even though I dont do it myself (drink much water) it is good practice for those who drink a fair bit of grog, you should try and drink a really big glass of water before you go to bed, even if it makes you wake up for a piss, as you will avoid some of those fucked up mornings.

Cheers, AL.
sudsy
Novice

Post by sudsy »

also this kind of goes without saying but if you make good cuts you'll find you wont get hangovers, my second batch (turbo yeast) sent me to bed feeling like i drank rat poison after 2 glasses laughs
beerbaron
Novice

Post by beerbaron »

Fist I would like to mention that when I was camping, I was drinking 750ml bottles. Second, the wife wasn’t there… lol

Sudsy had mention Turbo Yeast, so I though that I would post what I used and how I did it.

I use Turbo Yeast classic. Now I know that most distilling connoisseur don’t like Turbo yeast, so please no slack from this. 8 kg of granulated sugar. Got about 19 % out of the batch. Then distilled it. I must of made a good cut. I only take out 60 % of the alcohol that was produced by the fermentation.. Example, say your distilling 10L of sugar wash at 20%. Before you distil, you should have 2 L of alcohol in the wash. After distilling you would take out 1.2 litre of alcohol “if you could get 100% alcohol” and throw away the other 0.8 litre “what ever that left over after distillation.”

I also used the liquid carbon in my wash during fermentation and then the 2 part clarifier. Then after the distillation I use a 3 foot carbon snake to filter my product. I filtered it twice with new carbon each time.
sudsy
Novice

Post by sudsy »

all in all sounds pretty expensive i know that liquid carbon and filter carbon would set you back a bit, like i said i started off with turbos about 2 months ago, it isn't that well all dislike the product, it has it's uses, as stated before probably best left to people running motors from the ethanol, but if your looking for a neutral spirit like i think you are you are better off with the all bran / wineo's recipes to start with, it will save you money alot of it, and trips to the brew house i have 2 batches on now one wineos and one all bran and i can already tell their much cleaner so you shouldnt need to fork out alot for carbon each wash, you can reuse carbon but it is a pain in the arse to clean it, and like alot of people try around here and sounds like it works pretty well, is to rack off to a new container then put in the fridge for 24 hours this will clear it up nicley

ps, say goodbye to vinegar washes because thats all i ever smelt with turbo'si must admit though the triple distilled can be worked with but the rest suck. :P
hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

To me the same experience. A few months ago I got a bottle of comercial "korenwijn" (dutch grainalcohol, aged on wood). I don't drink much, but it gave me headaches. My homemade jenever (and also the wood aged) never give me a headache. Besides it tastes a lot better :D :D

I like my jenever that much, I could drink a bottle at once, but I think it's a pitty to drink such a great drink and get drunk. While I'm drunk I'm just swallowing. Were working on making the best alcohol there is, I wanto experience the great taste :D :D
Henk

Ambachtelijk Destileerderij Nes (Artisan Distillery Nes)
To conquer death, you only have to die
https://www.facebook.com/DestilleerderijNes?sk=wall
beerbaron
Novice

Post by beerbaron »

Over all, where I’m form, the carbon is not that expensive. The Liquid carbon is about $4 per pack. That will do one 25L bucket fermenter. And the dry carbon will filter about 25L after distillation. That cost me about $1 per filtration. I can buy 1 big bag of carbon 500g for about $8. Total cost for one batch is $16.47.

I will try for my next batch one of the recipes for a sugar wash found on this site. Anybody know if Fleischmann yeast is a good brand of yeast? That’s the only stuff that my supper market sells.
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

beerbaron wrote:Over all, where I’m form, the carbon is not that expensive. The Liquid carbon is about $4 per pack. That will do one 25L bucket fermenter. And the dry carbon will filter about 25L after distillation. That cost me about $1 per filtration. I can buy 1 big bag of carbon 500g for about $8. Total cost for one batch is $16.47.

I will try for my next batch one of the recipes for a sugar wash found on this site. Anybody know if Fleischmann yeast is a good brand of yeast? That’s the only stuff that my supper market sells.
I am using Lowans dried bakers yeast, it's about $7 for 280 grams & I get about 4 washes from it.

In total a Birdwatchers T&T recipe costs about $8 or $9 per 25L wash & there's no need to filter it, just dilute it to 40% and drink it :D

Cheers, AL.
sudsy
Novice

Post by sudsy »

In total a Birdwatchers T&T recipe costs about $8 or $9 per 25L wash & there's no need to filter it, just dilute it to 40% and drink it :D

my point exactly and no trip to the brew house or pissing around with home made filtering :D me likes, and as far as yeast goes, i'm pretty sure most of the generic bread yeasts from the store would work as its all used for the same purpose, just make sure its for normal bread loaves and not sour dough or something lol ,goodluck, i also have a converted down version to make a 25 litre wash somewhere in my posts
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I've found store bought makes you fuzzy as you drink it and when your getting pretty full there is buzzing in your ears etc.
My stuff is (our stuff) is different, I find I'm completely clear headed and only know I've had too much because I'm tripping over stuff and slurring my words. I'm clear headed enough to comprehend that my mouth ain't working right.

Plus no hangover is the most awesome part. Two weekends ago Some buddy's and I got into at the racetrack. Last pair of cars went down the strip at 9:00 pm and we started drinking. By 2am we were singing/playing guitar etc and having a good time. When we had to quiet down we got talking about building engines etc and two sober guys who showed up, didn't realise I was hammered. I was completely coherant and explaining why you must advance a cam to get more bottom end if you over cammed an engine, then I got up and fell on my face. They looked at me slack jawed. "Pick me up boys I'm firken legless" I said.

Next morning they couldn't believe I was so hammered I couldn't walk anymore but I was speaking like I was sober. I oversaw them advance their cam 2 degrees. I would of turned wrenches but I was still swaying in the wind. :roll: (no headache though)
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

goinbroke2 wrote:They looked at me slack jawed. "Pick me up boys I'm firken legless" I said.
Hahaha sorry for laughing GB. Reminded me of leaving my buddy's house up the road.
Commin down the steps,,,,,,my feet correctly made it to the first two steps(or so) but the rest of the way down was like what you see on a kids cartoon I'm sure.

The thing is. I could see it comming as my head(thoughts) felt clear. But my feet were out to fuggin lunch.

So because I could see it happening before I got all the way down the steps, I just started laughing my ass off like I was on a carnival ride or some crazy ass thing......Hit the ground like a sack of potatoes.
Thank god the missus had already gone home.
And there were no injuries.. :D
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
NO1DLR
Novice

Post by NO1DLR »

Even the best alcohol can give you a terrible hangover, or worse, if consumed in excessive amounts.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

hstuurman wrote:To me the same experience. A few months ago I got a bottle of comercial "korenwijn" (dutch grainalcohol, aged on wood). I don't drink much, but it gave me headaches. My homemade jenever (and also the wood aged) never give me a headache. Besides it tastes a lot better :D :D

I like my jenever that much, I could drink a bottle at once, but I think it's a pitty to drink such a great drink and get drunk. While I'm drunk I'm just swallowing. Were working on making the best alcohol there is, I wanto experience the great taste :D :D
WHOA! Sorry I missed this earlier.Have you posted that jenever recipe or method? Dutch or Afrikaner, either way I am interested. PM if you wish. :)
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

I was lucky enought to go visit a buddy a few states over and I brought some Winter Wheat and some Honey Corn with me...and some Rice Vodka, but we never got into that. Myself and two others drank through a 750 ml bottle while setting around the firepit. The next morning, after some rave reviews the guys both said that they woke up with "new clarity". Not certain what that means, but they both had no hangovers and were raring to go.

The next night we did the Winter Wheat and had a grand time. Same thing. Breakfast the next morning was the best breakfast we had ever had. I had Bacon, Sauteed mushrooms and cheese with home fries and Rye toast...yummy! If I had drank even half that much store bought, brekafast would have waited til noon when I finally got off the couch.

We were up at 7:30.

Making the viscious cuts will save you agony on a whole series of levels.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

myles wrote:
hstuurman wrote:To me the same experience. A few months ago I got a bottle of comercial "korenwijn" (dutch grainalcohol, aged on wood). I don't drink much, but it gave me headaches. My homemade jenever (and also the wood aged) never give me a headache. Besides it tastes a lot better :D :D

WHOA! Sorry I missed this earlier.Have you posted that jenever recipe or method? Dutch or Afrikaner, either way I am interested. PM if you wish. :)
Jenever is so simple, just make sure you have an amount of good clean hearts. For 3 liters of jenever use the following amount.
Fill a basket with herbs:
juniper berry 15 -25 gr (more berries, stronger taste)
St.John's wort 1 teaspoon
anise 0,5 teaspoon

Fill your still with 0.1 liter alcohol diluted to 40%, and hang the basket in the still. Distill very slowly, this is your extract.
Mix your clean, diluted (42% ABV) alcohol with a small amount of the extract (10 ml extract to 1 liter alcohol), and taste. When you want stronger taste, enter some more extract, but always small amounts!
This colourles version must age at least 1 month, but the older it gets, the smoother it gets.
Normaly I split the batch, 1 part is colourles, 1 part is aged 2 weeks on oakchips, strain and age another month.
Henk

Ambachtelijk Destileerderij Nes (Artisan Distillery Nes)
To conquer death, you only have to die
https://www.facebook.com/DestilleerderijNes?sk=wall