Mile Hi Distilling

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Mile Hi Distilling

Post by Austin Nichols »

Hey all,

Anyone use this mob for getting stuff online with a credit card?

I'm about to order a few things off them and would like to know others experiences with them.

Cheers, Allan.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mile Hi Distilling

Post by ScottishBoy »

I have used them in the past. Shipping was quick and the goods came well packed.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
ammo man
Swill Maker

Post by ammo man »

Ditto on what ScottishBoy said.

Bert
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

Thanks for that :D

I just hit the submit button at their checkout but my post box aint rattlin yet :lol:

Al.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

I have used them many times for supplies and parts.
No problems.
KS
GreyGambler
Bootlegger

Post by GreyGambler »

I have used em a couple of time no problem-o
#5559 -Take what you can and give nothing back... the great Captain Jack Sparrow
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I used them for a pair of 2" copper to triclover adaptor kits. Even with extra tax it still worked out cheaper than trying to buy them in the UK. Not that I have seen a 2" threaded adaptor in copper in the UK. :roll: :roll:
scotty
Swill Maker

Post by scotty »

I use them often even though northern brewers is my favorite. Mile high has more distilling stuff. I think the website is poorly designed and not totally user friendly but but they are definitely good folks to do business with
teach me and correct me if you are my friend
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by condensificator »

i've done a lot of business with them and i couldn't be happier. good prices, good products, fast shipping, super nice if anything goes wrong.
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

Well I got all my stuff from them today, everything was in order and top quality, well packed and fast delivery. :D

Now it's off to the man cave :lol:

Cheers.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Good luck. :D
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
likkrluvr
Novice

Post by likkrluvr »

I have to throw in my $.02 or $.025 for my kiwi pals. These guys are helpful and when i was driving through there, I just swung by and they were able to help me right there.I got a 2" reflux the welds are beautiful and she sur is purdy. So i would give them a positive nod.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Most of these posts were six months ago. Not all that long ago, so what's gone wrong here? MileHi seems to have given this guy a hard time, yet I've always thought that they are good retailers. Change in management maybe? http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p6882985
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

As a business grows, it loses it's personal touch. They outsourse more of what used to be inhouse. Quality and customer service goes down hill.
Welcome the new WalMart of distilling. And if their not careful they will become a Monkey Wards or soon Kmart/Sears.
ArkyJ who wishes she had listened to Sam Walton when he tried to take her into buying WalMart stock in 1977.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Hard for me to say one way or the other about quality of their stuff.....I sent 3 emails to them to inquire about an item and never got a response.....so I did my shopping elsewhere.

As to the thread about the issue with the hotplate Blanik posted...personally...seems like the cost of sending a replacement hotplate (and having a happy customer)...would be nothing compared to the cost of getting bad juju in a place like this (where people look for recommendations) over an unhappy customer— it ain't like they don't have direct competition for the same/similar products.
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilly »

Mile Low customer service is lacking IMO. They charged my card, no communication, 12 days later I called and asked em what was up, they said sorry, backordered, shipment went out that day, different item than what was ordered was sent. Called again, nothing but attitude and excuses. At least the folks at Walmart try to be pleasant. Next time I will pay and extra buck or two and use Brewhaus or other online supplier.

Stilly
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Stilly wrote:Mile Low customer service is lacking IMO. They charged my card, no communication, 12 days later I called and asked em what was up, they said sorry, backordered, shipment went out that day, different item than what was ordered was sent. Called again, nothing but attitude and excuses. At least the folks at Walmart try to be pleasant. Next time I will pay and extra buck or two and use Brewhaus or other online supplier.

Stilly

Wise choice, using Brewhaus. I have made many many purchases at Brewhaus and have always been ultra satisfied. They will even do custom work upon request and the turn around is super fast, communication is great. Rick Morris has it together over at Brewhaus for sure. :mrgreen:
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
bgrizzle
Swill Maker

Post by bgrizzle »

I've never had any problems with MileHi customer service, or even quality of the product... The only thing that bothers me, is the false advertising. Their claims are slightly unrealistic about what their stills can do.

You CANNOT buy milehi turbo yeast and a 2" still and make 90%+ at 1 gallon an hour!

I learned the hard way! After being part of the HD family for about 6 months, now I know better.

BUT, Milehi is a business... and they have to advertise... I have NEVER had a Big-Mac that looks anything remotely like the picture!!

In my opinion, any reader should feel comfortable buying from these guys... just know what you are getting...
milehidistilling
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by milehidistilling »

Well in my company defense we are always looking for better products and always trying to improve products but keep the price down. Like the distillers we have made lot if inprovments to the tower and the cans in the last year. We just added a domed lid on the can. With the hotplate I was trying to find one that works at a lower cost and 1 out of 100 burns out. I’ve sold about 400 of the cheaper hot plates and to replace 3 in the last 5 months. I tested about every hot plate out there and the deni works with the distillers. The other hot plates that work cost $109.00 so I was trying to save people money.

We have been taking about 60 orders a day for supplies and about 7 orders for stills each day. The phone rings every 5 minutes and I get about 40 email a day. So I apologize if I seam I little rude but I’m trying to keep orders going out. If I answer all the emails and phone calls we will never get the orders finessed.

I like to talk to people about this hobby but the phone rings every 5 minutes and each person wants to talk for 10

I don’t know what happened to Bayou-Ruler order but if we are out of stock we always try to contact the person to see if thy want a refund or something else. Sometime it being so busy a few fall threw the cracks and also I think a lot of email ends up in the junk box.

I like to weld and build the distillers but running a company is new to me so I’m doing the best I can. If you call and get an attitude it’s probably because I’ve been on the phone with a customer that is saying his distiller is not working correctly thy but in 2 gallons and get 2 gallons out but it’s the same %. And thy think the distiller is broken. I get that call at least twice a day. Also people call 2 days after thy make the order and want a tracking # for like a bag of yeast and looking for the order can take few minutes. I have to think a lot of my consumers don’t shop over the internet very often.

And anybody saying our quality is dropping your wrong. The stills are much better than a few years ago. And we started buying the yeast direct from England every 4 months to keep it fresh.

And I want to point out even if you buy products from my competitor there is only a one. You are still benefit from use before Milehi came along there prices where higher and the quality was lower. It’s good to have competition.
milehidistilling
Site Donor
Site Donor

I think you have the information wrong. I say the 2” will do about 2 qourts an hour the 3” will do close to 1 gallon an hour. And the stills do rum like I say
bgrizzle wrote:I've never had any problems with MileHi customer service, or even quality of the product... The only thing that bothers me, is the false advertising. Their claims are slightly unrealistic about what their stills can do.

You CANNOT buy milehi turbo yeast and a 2" still and make 90%+ at 1 gallon an hour!

I learned the hard way! After being part of the HD family for about 6 months, now I know better.

BUT, Milehi is a business... and they have to advertise... I have NEVER had a Big-Mac that looks anything remotely like the picture!!

In my opinion, any reader should feel comfortable buying from these guys... just know what you are getting...
milehidistilling
Site Donor
Site Donor

I’m not a business man but I do know if this company going to work I need to sell quality stills and supplies and also be honest. If you don’t like the way I do business please call somebody else if you need your butt kisses.
IBsipn
Novice

Post by IBsipn »

sounds credable to me glad you spoke up in your defense always 2 sides to a coin
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

milehidistilling, thanks for responding... I was about to email you regarding this topic to allow you to respond...
heefageLA
Novice

Post by heefageLA »

I would also like to clear up this hotplate fiasco.

I am overjoyed with the quality of the still. Its a work of art!

I also am very happy with the complete kit i ordered.
You even sent me 3 bags of turbo instead of 2.

Its the hotplate thats lacking.
Why erase the name from your website, on the $40 hotplate, if its a quality product?
milehidistilling
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well one reason is to keep competitors from seeing the name. And also so people don’t Google the name and see it on amazon for $8.00 cheaper and think I’m over charging. Amazon sells theme for the same price I pay even if I buy 100 at a time I can’t compete with amazon.

We talked about this new hot plate that just came out by Cadco and if the company is correct this should work much better than any other hot plate for distilling just because the cycling is very minimal and is heavy duty. So ill probably stop selling the Deni and only sell this one. Of course I’m going to test it first. I should have a few next week for testing. But anybody looking for a hot plate this company can sell theme cheaper than me.
http://www.instawares.com/cadco-csr-3t- ... =CAD-CSR3T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Well I'll put in my 2c. I've ordered some stuff from you and I was happy. I can't comment on the equipment as I haven't purchased any rigs or heat sources. I got what I ordered in a timely fashion, it was pretty straight forward.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
batf
Bootlegger

Post by batf »

sounds like a stand up guy to me...i like my mile high, ive ordered 3 times from them since owning it. the first 2 orders went great, i am waiting on my 3rd order, which was placed on the 9th, i ordered the 1 foot extendsion for my 2 inch still.
sounds like MH needs another worker.......sir, i am retired and would consider moving to colo....you have anything open in upper management? :ebiggrin:
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

rubber duck wrote:Well I'll put in my 2c. I've ordered some stuff from you and I was happy. I can't comment on the equipment as I haven't purchased any rigs or heat sources. I got what I ordered in a timely fashion, it was pretty straight forward.
Yes me too RD, I'm not sure why this thread is being used as a battle ground :roll: :roll:

I posted this topic quite a while ago, got the advice and ordered my stuff...... it was here in oz at the post office within 5 days, and I was extremely happy with the product and service & and I would not have any problem using milehi in the future should I need too.

If people done the research they would realise a hot plate is no good with out a voltage controller anyway, and isnt there another thread about the dramas with this hotplate that this could have been brought up in ?? :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
bgrizzle
Swill Maker

Post by bgrizzle »

I feel like I owe an apology to milehi... I was not trying to be an ass with my comment... Perhaps it was my own short coming when I ran the 2" tower. I assumed based on your video that I was going to get a half gallon an hour of spectacular neutral using turbo yeast.

At that time I had not done my research, and I had not found this site. Later I built a VM still and then bought a flute from KS. You will be very happy with his product.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Sounds like you have "good" problems (ie. growing business). But frustrated dealing with it. And trust me...we all here can identify with just how frustrating those very same questions you mentioned can be. But, since we are setting the record straight here *( own experience): I tried for 3 straight weeks to contact somebody (anybody) at milehi just to get some basic dimension information that was not listed on your website...and a quote for some custom work. I was never able to reach anyone or get a response via email or phone. My first thought after first email went unanswered for a week was...you were on vacation or etc..and I'd probably get one soon. After 2 weeks and sending a 2nd email...my thought was..the first must have gone to a spam filter or got lost somehow. So, I quoted the first email and sent a 2nd. That wen't unanswered. So, I double checked the email address...then tried to call. The phone just rang, and rang. So, now I don't know what to think. I tried calling couple more times...never got a busy signal, or voice mail etc..just rang. I sent a last email after 3 weeks expressing my frustration of not being able to contact anyone or get answers to my inquiry and that was that. I was fully expecting that at some point...I'd get a response to those emails saying...sorry we were away, or we've been busy, just getting to this, etc. But, nothing ever came...which meant..it either all went to a black hole somewhere you never saw, or they were just ignored . Either way, that didn't necessarily instill me with any confidence to pursue it any further. As sympathetic as I am to your frustrations...that's just giving business away...not competing for it.

I don't necessarily want to feel like I should have to kiss someone's ass to buy something from them either. So, we are certainly on the same page/wave-link there. Lastly, I think the time and effort you put into your products shows...as people seem to like them and speak well of them overall — and in these days....It's far better to have theses issues, than the other way around. Congrats on that! — for making fine products that create overwhelming demand. Hopefully, these growing business pains will sort themselves out.