Got a new still with no temp gauge

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

guardian angel
Novice

Got a new still with no temp gauge

Post by guardian angel »

So I got a distiller for christmas from my dad :D and it's the "EasyStill Distiller with Plastic Collection Container" from http://www.brewhaus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow that's the modified water distiller; my question is how I can know (other than just looking at it) when to start and stop a run. I read that the heating element was changed from the original water one to a lower temp one but it has no manual control to hold temperature or a gauge to check either. I was wondering if there was an easy way to know when to cut or if it needs to be modified more. My original thought when I took it apart was to drill a small hole in upper section and place a thermometer in there with a grommit but if this particular still is too difficult to deal with I'd rather not damage it so I can't send it back :) . Any help or advice you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Got a new still with no temp gauge

Post by Dnderhead »

converted water distiller?
if so there is no controls, so only thing you do or can do is to plug it in and let it run.this operates much like a automatic coffee pot,as you no reflux and you have no control over its operation. there is no need for thermometer.
if your going to use it,do away with the plastic container,use small jars to collect
in,then sort by smell/taste/feel.
guardian angel
Novice

Post by guardian angel »

Excellent! I guess it's a good place to start as far as distilling goes right?... least amount of human errors and all :). I'll go buy some glass jars to let it drip into and I just put my first mash together this morning so I'll post in about a week to see how it did :D . Thanks for getting back to me so fast.
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of OUTSTANDING people and info here. Dnderhead has it right. Use glass jars for collection. You'll probably find shortly after running your first mash you'll be "thirsty " (har har. Har) for something better. In the meantime, continue READING everything the guys with dark blue and green names say and absorb as much info as ya can from the parent site...you'll find this to be quite the rewarding hobby and before yo realize it, probably havea pretty set-up. Keep us posted on what comes of your first run! Cheers!
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"