Heavy tannins and egg whites

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JonB
Novice

Heavy tannins and egg whites

Post by JonB » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:36 am

I was reading a wine related article which mentioned how using egg whites can attract tannins and drop them out of suspension. Using the same process, I wonder if this would work for a bourbon that was over oaked last year. My obvious concern is that the alchohol (80 proof) would prevent the egg whites from working.

Thoughts?

blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Heavy tannins and egg whites

Post by blanikdog » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:47 pm

You will get a lot of replies on this, but may I be the first to suggest that you just put your 'overoaked' spirit away in a dark corner for a few years and opening the jar (assuming it's in a jar) every few months to let some air into it. You may just find that it's the best you have ever made.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.

Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Actually tannins like clumping together with proteins so you could also use unflavoured gelatin. I don't think any have tried it here but I'm sure many would like to know. Give it a go and let us know. If it works then it would add another tool to the aging toolbox.

blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Before you do anything ifyou use the search function you will find 376 entries under over oaked and eleven under overoaking. There was a fairly recent entry discussing this very question. I had a quick look but couldn't locate the link. Depending on how serious you are you may find it. It will be worth the search, but the ball is now in your court. Good luck.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.

Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:40 am

blanikdog wrote:Before you do anything if you use the search function you will find 376 entries under over oaked and eleven under overoaking. There was a fairly recent entry discussing this very question. I had a quick look but couldn't locate the link. Depending on how serious you are you may find it. It will be worth the search, but the ball is now in your court. Good luck.
I used the search function and could not find one post about using egg whites to precipitate tannins out of distillate. :wink:

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:57 am

that is the problem of trying to "color" to fast,you git color but not the flavor.
learn from it and dont do it again.you cant compress a year or two into a week.
if you can then let the scientist/chemist know as they have been looking for years.

Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:07 am

Dnderhead wrote:that is the problem of trying to "color" to fast,you git color but not the flavor.
learn from it and dont do it again.you cant compress a year or two into a week.
if you can then let the scientist/chemist know as they have been looking for years.
I don't think he is looking to warp time. Just trying to get some tannins out of suspensión.

Beer guys do it by filtering with with .5 micron filters. Don't know if paper lab filters are available in that pore size but they would probably be the easiest to do a quick test. If you can get them.

WeeStiller
Bootlegger

Post by WeeStiller » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:41 am

My wine making book suggests using fish glue to suspend tannins and sink them in the solution. Fish glue looks like egg white. But if egg white would work without disadvantages, winemakers would use it. Eggs go off and get smelly, I think. Dunno about fish glue. :eugeek:

The Baker
Master Distiller

Post by The Baker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:10 pm

WeeStiller wrote:My wine making book suggests using fish glue to suspend tannins and sink them in the solution. Fish glue looks like egg white. But if egg white would work without disadvantages, winemakers would use it. Eggs go off and get smelly, I think. Dunno about fish glue. :eugeek:
I have some completely unreliable recollection of egg SHELLS being used to clear wine. And blood, I think...
The Baker

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:42 pm

the trouble with some like milk/egg white/gelatin,they not only can spoil so you have to remove them in a few hours,they also can cause clouding then this has to be removed.when using them on wine they usually use 2 different ones in combination. so they mite use egg whites then add isinglass.and there is a method to there use you just dont mix them in.
if i remember right,egg whites need to be premixed with water and a pinch of salt,stirred to a froth. gelatin needs to be pre dissolved, in hot water,cooled.

Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:39 pm

I could see the logic in thinking twice about what you put in the likker but I don't think anything will go bad in 80 proof. I mean fruit mecerations use fruit which would be rotten after a couple days in water but in likker they are alright for quite some time.

This web page covers different agents used in wine: http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/tec ... ing-agents

I have a package of unflavoured gelatin in my kitchen right now so that would probably be my first choice but i don't do aged spirits. :(

Maybe something off that list is easily available or already on hand. I still think filtering would be the easiest. The beer and wine guys would rather fine because filtering can take out stuff they want to keep that give wine and beer mouthfeel. Thinking about it it may also be something that affects spirits but I think for fixing a bit of overoaking it might be an acceptable loss.