how much distillate to throw away

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ilovethisstuff
Novice

how much distillate to throw away

Post by ilovethisstuff »

i know this is a very novice question but i am just starting and want to make sure im doing this right.

i have a one gallon mix thats just sugar and nutrients. the abv should be about 10%

when i distill this how much should i throw away before i start collecting.
also how much sould i collect before i stop collecting

thanks for any advise
blind drunk
retired

Re: how much distillate to throw away

Post by blind drunk »

On a pot still, I throw away about 1 cup / 5 gallon wash.

I like to run all the way to the bitter end. I like to know what's at the bottom and sometimes it's a nice surprise. But on one gallon, it's gonna be difficult to get the hang of things and make cuts. Go by taste and smell. But what the hell, you'll learn something. Some say touch, but I haven't figured that part out yet :roll:

If yer using something other than a pot head, I have no idea.

Good luck.
I do all my own stunts
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

With a 1 gallon charge, it is very difficult to make proper cuts, on a 15 gallon charge, I consider the first 500ml foreshots. I know it may be overkill, but I'm in it for the best likker possible.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
ilovethisstuff
Novice

Post by ilovethisstuff »

i thnk that i am going to throw a half of a cup away then try to get about one bottle of 40% out of it. i dont know if thats reasonable or not. but it is what i will aim for
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

in one gallon of 10% there is 14.8 oz of 100% alcohol. out of this you keep about 1/3
or about 10oz of 100% or 20 oz at 50% (100pr)this is a rough estimate.
ilovethisstuff
Novice

Post by ilovethisstuff »

so you think that if i throw away a half cup, then fill up a 20 ounce bottle i should get aprox 50%? that sounds good
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

there are NO MASURMENTS FOR DOING CUTS,, you need to use your senses ,,SMELL,,FEEL,,TASTE. so run off in small jars "air" a bit then save what you want.
what I gave you are just estimates.......
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

so you think that if i throw away a half cup, then fill up a 20 ounce bottle i should get aprox 50%? that sounds good
It's easy, but not that easy :wink:

Read this, if you haven't already -

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=11640
I do all my own stunts
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

The only reason I'm adding anything on this is you appear to be "right-out-of-the-box" so I'll offer up some info. As has been stated you're making cut-learning pretty tough with only 1 gallon (read this near impossible). The fact that you are going with such a small amount I'd recommend you collect in small containers -- say 50mls at a time -- and save all of the containers. Number the containers 1 through X. Start in the middle of however many you end up with. This should give you something similar to a heart cut. Work your way to the smaller numbers and you will experience the hearts-to-heads transition. Work your way to the larger numbers and you will experience the hearts to tails transition. This will be more about the experience than any liquor you will get from this. Run the still slowly.

good luck
ilovethisstuff
Novice

Post by ilovethisstuff »

thanks for that suggestion. that sounds good. i should be able to get a little better of and idea of what i am going for. ( sorry i only have a 6 qt pressure cooker i know thats small)

i will just do exactally what you said then just keep all the collections that taste good and i should at least have a little bit. thanks
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

After you've done this come back and let us know how it turned out.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

WalkingWolf wrote:The only reason I'm adding anything on this is you appear to be "right-out-of-the-box" so I'll offer up some info. As has been stated you're making cut-learning pretty tough with only 1 gallon (read this near impossible). The fact that you are going with such a small amount I'd recommend you collect in small containers -- say 50mls at a time -- and save all of the containers. Number the containers 1 through X. Start in the middle of however many you end up with. This should give you something similar to a heart cut. Work your way to the smaller numbers and you will experience the hearts-to-heads transition. Work your way to the larger numbers and you will experience the hearts to tails transition. This will be more about the experience than any liquor you will get from this. Run the still slowly.

good luck
+1 I was almost going to say exactly the same thing earlier about collecting in 50 ml containers but having only run a keg boiler it would have been my opinion and I didn't want to give any false info!
ilovethisstuff
Novice

Post by ilovethisstuff »

WalkingWolf wrote:After you've done this come back and let us know how it turned out.
okay im going to run it tomorrow so i will let you know.
ilovethisstuff
Novice

Post by ilovethisstuff »

okay so i took your advise and it worked well.
i threw away the first shotglass didnt really care for the smell and i know that your supposed to. after i liked the next portion tho it was strong. i could tell when i got to hearts. the beginning of the tails werent too bad to me, stoped collecting when the vaportemp hit 210.
overall i think i got 16 oz of i am guessing 60ish proof. i need to get the tool to test proof still. its not the greatest ever but im in college, so i am used to the cheep stuff. so i guess ill be able to hang in there till i get better.
but in all the run went well thanks.