Old Wash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chrisl
Novice

Old Wash

Post by chrisl »

Hello I have a 50 gallon all grain wash that was done about 10-12 days ago. I had to stay out of town for work. I got home last night and opened the fermenter up { I am using the blue 55 gallon food grade barrels as my fermenter} and boy it really has a sour smell, the cap has fallen but has a white flour like stuff floating on the top. Is it gone bad. The weather has been real cool lately. My grain bill was 100lbs of COB feed 20 lbs of crushed rye and 20 of crushed barley malt 45 gallons of purified water. It has been under a air lock the hole time. Thanks Chrisl
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Old Wash

Post by Dnderhead »

first Id run it,grains can have bacteria on them.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Run it. The white stuff is most likely lactobacillius, adds flavor, just skim it off before you run it, might be the best stuff you ever made. Anything alive will be killed off during distillation.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

Thanks Guys..Chrisl
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Try running it - unless you have rope like threads/strings (nasty tasting infection) OR a Jelly fish on top (vinegar mother).
Even if it has spoiled a bit you should be able to get any alcohol that is left.
If you are happy with taste of the cuts (after they air 24-48 hours) good.
If it tastes funky add a Tblspoon of baking soda per L of low wines and leave it a week swirling daily.
Pour of the cleaned low wines into your still and dilute to 40% with clean water and then re-run it.
Maximum re-flux that your still is capable of.
You should end up with some acceptable neutral if nothing else.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else: