The Lady wants to buy me one

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CharlesD
Novice

The Lady wants to buy me one

Post by CharlesD »

I have been distilling for about two weeks and really enjoy it. The problem is my lady thinks I will blow up the kitchen. She wants to buy me something that looks "safe" I can understand her concern for the kitchen. This is the distiller she was looking at, http://www.ebay.com/itm/6Q-ALCOHOL-HOME ... d=ViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow its a long link though maybe someone could give me insight into what to say. It looks like it is better than my haphazzard situation I distill in. The most i have ever distilled at one time is about a gallon don't know if I need a bigger distiller, when I brought it up she said "they make a three gallon one as well" so anyone have input?
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Re: The Lady wants to buy me one

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

That is just a professional homemade job. Better to make your own then you can guarantee the safety of the materials and construction. Bigger is better up to about 55L - that is a good serious hobby size - lets you run a decent wash and make good cuts.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

I build this fairly cheap and cost me less than $40 dollars its approx. 6 gallon. Fairly easy to build, its not the same anymore, but you can get the idea.
Attachments
still1.jpg
Read Please, Try it, Learn!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

+1 on building, you can get some good deals on things at ebay but a lot of the stills on ebay are not what they state. Go to the still design and look at the pot stills as that is what your original post is. If you are more interested in vodka's and liqueurs you might also spend some time looking at the reflux designs.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I agree what the others have already stated... A 6 liter/quart boiler is just too small to make decent cuts... I run an 8 liter but know what I'm doing and wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 12 - 16 liters, minimum, for a novice... The larger the boiler charge the easier it is to make proper cuts and end up with clean drinkable spirits... I would be very leery of such a small boiler and such a small liebig condenser... And almost 2/3 of the asking price is pure profit, plus whatever profit is made off the shipping... You can do better...