mash stop bubbling

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Forum Mods

mash stop bubbling

Postby gl8n » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 pm

hi i put my first wash together last night and it started bubbling up nicely within the first 2 hours, checked it this morning before work and it was still going fine. however i checked it after i got home from work and it seemed to have stopped.there was no head at all . it was a 5 grain cereal wash (6 cups) 9kg sugar ,acitic acid 2 tspn,epsom salt 3tspn,140g lowans yeast, 40 ltrs water in 60lt fermenter . it has been hot summer temp 30 plus degrees. wash temp was 32 degrees when i added yeast, and brew seemed to start ok , can anyone help :cry:
gl8n
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 am

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby klondike_bar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:41 am

perhaps stirring it to invigorate the yeast and aerate the mash a little might help?
klondike_bar
Novice
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby 501outlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:55 am

gl8n wrote:hi i put my first wash together last night and it started bubbling up nicely within the first 2 hours, checked it this morning before work and it was still going fine. however i checked it after i got home from work and it seemed to have stopped.there was no head at all . it was a 5 grain cereal wash (6 cups) 9kg sugar ,acitic acid 2 tspn,epsom salt 3tspn,140g lowans yeast, 40 ltrs water in 60lt fermenter . it has been hot summer temp 30 plus degrees. wash temp was 32 degrees when i added yeast, and brew seemed to start ok , can anyone help :cry:

32 deg. C or f ??
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
501outlaw
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:39 am
Location: In the 501

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby Tater » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:55 am

501outlaw wrote:
gl8n wrote:hi i put my first wash together last night and it started bubbling up nicely within the first 2 hours, checked it this morning before work and it was still going fine. however i checked it after i got home from work and it seemed to have stopped.there was no head at all . it was a 5 grain cereal wash (6 cups) 9kg sugar ,acitic acid 2 tspn,epsom salt 3tspn,140g lowans yeast, 40 ltrs water in 60lt fermenter . it has been hot summer temp 30 plus degrees. wash temp was 32 degrees when i added yeast, and brew seemed to start ok , can anyone help :cry:

32 deg. C or f ??
he said it was summer so which do ya reckin it is? :ewink:
PLEASE READ THIS FORUMS RULES AND THESES Links: http://homedistiller.org and New Distiller Reading Lounge I use a pot still
User avatar
Tater
Admin
 
Posts: 6397
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby 501outlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 am

Tater wrote:
501outlaw wrote:
gl8n wrote:hi i put my first wash together last night and it started bubbling up nicely within the first 2 hours, checked it this morning before work and it was still going fine. however i checked it after i got home from work and it seemed to have stopped.there was no head at all . it was a 5 grain cereal wash (6 cups) 9kg sugar ,acitic acid 2 tspn,epsom salt 3tspn,140g lowans yeast, 40 ltrs water in 60lt fermenter . it has been hot summer temp 30 plus degrees. wash temp was 32 degrees when i added yeast, and brew seemed to start ok , can anyone help :cry:

32 deg. C or f ??
he said it was summer so which do ya reckin it is? :ewink:

He said last night and it's Jan 10 2012 so witch do you think it is tater
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
501outlaw
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:39 am
Location: In the 501

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby KY1792 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 am

gl8n wrote:it has been hot summer temp 30 plus degrees. wash temp was 32 degrees when i added yeast

It is never good to assume but adding yeast to an ice block is difficult - so I'm gonna assume he is in the southern hemisphere and 32C (90F).
KY1792
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 am
Location: West Kentucky

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby Dnderhead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 am

""He said last night and it's Jan 10 2012 so witch do you think it is tater"
THANK below the equator,,,,,,those guys are all backward,,,,or are we? :?
Dnderhead
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 13668
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby Samohon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 am

SurfingSanta.jpg

Brrrrrrr.... :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
User avatar
Samohon
Moderator
 
Posts: 3435
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:22 am
Location: Somewhere in the UK...

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby 501outlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 am

KY1792 wrote:
gl8n wrote:it has been hot summer temp 30 plus degrees. wash temp was 32 degrees when i added yeast

It is never good to assume but adding yeast to an ice block is difficult - so I'm gonna assume he is in the southern hemisphere and 32C (90F).

I wish I had a picture of my mash this weekend. It was 100 deg f b/c I left the electric blanket on it . So it dosent matter where you live Another making sure he didnt have it outside because at my house it's 32 deg f and my dogs water wasn't frozen.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
501outlaw
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:39 am
Location: In the 501

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby rad14701 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:14 pm

501outlaw wrote:
gl8n wrote:it has been hot summer temp 30 plus degrees. wash temp was 32 degrees when i added yeast, and brew seemed to start ok , can anyone help :cry:

32 deg. C or f ??

Jan 10 2012 + Summer = Southern Hemisphere... :idea:

This is a worldwide international forum, after all... And virtually all non-US countries use C rather than F...
User avatar
rad14701
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 16956
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby 501outlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:49 pm

rad14701 wrote:
501outlaw wrote:
gl8n wrote:it has been hot summer temp 30 plus degrees. wash temp was 32 degrees when i added yeast, and brew seemed to start ok , can anyone help :cry:

32 deg. C or f ??

Jan 10 2012 + Summer = Southern Hemisphere... :idea:

This is a worldwide international forum, after all... And virtually all non-US countries use C rather than F...

Just making sure. I've seen aluminum boiler, plastic thumpers,and all sorts of crazy crap trying to put yeast in 32 deg f water dosent seem that shocking
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
501outlaw
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:39 am
Location: In the 501

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby KY1792 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:31 pm

501outlaw wrote:making sure he didnt have it outside because at my house it's 32 deg f and my dogs water wasn't frozen.

Now we digress even further off subject by discussing liquid water at the freezing point of 32F, but once it stays at that temperature for a sufficient amount of time to remove an additional 144 btu's of heat per pound of pure water it will solidify - dog spit and salts act as antifreeze and may need it a bit colder.

And now a bit of unsolicited information from my chemistry days -
Water can coexist in all 3 phases at the same time - solid, liquid, and gas, it is known as the triple point and is 32.02F.
KY1792
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 am
Location: West Kentucky

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby KY1792 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Hope we didn't scare you off gl8n,
but your wash should come out to about 13% abv, do you have a tightly sealed lid and airlock? it may be leaking which is not a big deal it just wouldn't bubble in the airlock as much as it could be.

I would not touch it for at least 5 days keeping it well covered, after that minimum time you can drop a hydrometer in it and see how close to 1.000 you are, also it should have a dry taste - and no hint of sweetness once completely fermented.
KY1792
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 am
Location: West Kentucky

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby gl8n » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 pm

thanks for the advice, i think i know what i have done,i am pretty sure when i checked it in the morning i stirred it up.i think i have let oxygen in (complete idiot) it is just bubbling slightly. do i leave or is their something i can do ?
:oops: :oops: :oops:
gl8n
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 am

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby blanikdog » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm

32c is a normal summer day in Aust (sometimes it exceed 43c which is very hot) and I imaging any other country south the equator. You have to think beyond the US borders. I know it's difficult but ... :D
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
User avatar
blanikdog
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:55 pm
Location: Bullamakanka, Oztrailya

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby Dnderhead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 pm

put the top on and leave it alone.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 13668
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby KY1792 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:50 pm

gl8n wrote:thanks for the advice, i think i know what i have done,i am pretty sure when i checked it in the morning i stirred it up.i think i have let oxygen in (complete idiot) it is just bubbling slightly. do i leave or is their something i can do ?
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Not a problem, some people like to stir the first couple of days when the yeast is in it's reproduction mode and oxygen is a good thing to get the colony to full population, but after that it goes into fermentation mode or anaerobic (non-oxygen) and best left alone.

Personally once I cap a bucket I never touch it again until a good week has past. You never said if you have an airlock and tight seal or how you are making your tests.
KY1792
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 am
Location: West Kentucky

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby gl8n » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:02 am

ok everyone i am from australia and it is degrees celius, :P
gl8n
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 am

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby gl8n » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:07 am

yes ky1792 i have an air lock and seal on the fermenter, however i am openning it to check it. do you think i should just leave it be for a week then check the sg?
gl8n
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 am

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby KY1792 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:24 am

gl8n wrote:yes ky1792 i have an air lock and seal on the fermenter, however i am openning it to check it. do you think i should just leave it be for a week then check the sg?

I see no harm in it at this point and to perhaps put your mind at ease, post back what the SG is - do you know what the starting SG was?

Netiquette on this forum is to first go to the "welcome center" and introduce yourself, giving a bit of background if you wish and what rig you are running. It's also a good idea to always add it to your subsequent posts so we don't have to play 20 questions.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

I'd also take a look at the "tried and true recipe" section as most give play by play instructions.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Take a look at Rad's all bran
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9981#p6785721
- kinda similar to what you are doing and it makes a fine product.
KY1792
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 am
Location: West Kentucky

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby gl8n » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:30 am

ok will check out welcome centre and starting sg was 1080 and doesnt seemed to have moved much maybe 1075 if anything at all . its been 2 days now
gl8n
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 am

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby KY1792 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:44 am

gl8n wrote:ok will check out welcome centre and starting sg was 1080 and doesnt seemed to have moved much maybe 1075 if anything at all . its been 2 days now

I have never checked a wash inside of 2 days and can't say if it is good or not, but as said before the yeast is in the multiplication stage right now and wouldn't expect any alcohol production. Sit on your hands and check it again in 5 days, even if it finishes before that you'd want it to clear for a few days anyways.

Now is a good time to start a second wash from the recipe page I sent you, it is always a good idea to have 2 washes running a week or so apart so you always have something to do - mostly to stop you from molesting the first one.
KY1792
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 am
Location: West Kentucky

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby Dnderhead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:52 am

yeast can take a day or two to git off their butt and go to work.
the way to tell if it has "stalled" is to take a reading then a day or so take another,if it has changed then its working if not then it stalled.(if the reading is high)
Dnderhead
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 13668
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby gl8n » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:03 am

cheers guys all good sound advice have planned to do another wash tommorrow and will leave this one alone for now , am a bit of a bull at a gate openned at the moment. very keen to get this hobby started , thirsty so thirsty. going to check out the recipe ky1792 suggested thanks guys and girls :lol:
gl8n
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 am

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby Dnderhead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:20 am

if you want to speed up the proses make a starter.you need to do this a couple days ahead,
this is nothing more than a Minny ferment.

take a sterile 2l/1/2 gallon jar. add a wash similar to what your going to ferment,shake the hell out of it. add yeast,
shake each day for several days,,then add this to you main ferment.

this gives the yeast a "jump start" this is also helps to restart a stalled ferment.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 13668
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby gl8n » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:45 am

thanks dnderhead will give it a go , should i release pressure off the jar each day or put an air lock on it.sorry to sound so stupid but have habit of asking questions often?
gl8n
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 am

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby Dnderhead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:19 am

yes you will need a air lock or leave the top loose.you can do this up to a week or so ahead if you want. i use 1/2 gallon /2 l wine jugs.I cheat and use a stir bar.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 13668
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: mash stop bubbling

Postby 501outlaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:53 am

Dnderhead wrote:yes you will need a air lock or leave the top loose.you can do this up to a week or so ahead if you want. i use 1/2 gallon /2 l wine jugs.I cheat and use a stir bar.

I always take a big glass half full of warm water and put all my yeast in it let it disolve after a few min you will see a foam start to form then I add a table spoon of sugar within 5 min it will start to really foam up that's when I pitch it in the mash. Always worked for me
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
501outlaw
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:39 am
Location: In the 501


Return to Novice Distillers



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests