40 ft 3/8 Worm

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Adam78k
Novice

40 ft 3/8 Worm

Post by Adam78k »

Was wondering for my set up of a 3/8 inch tubing with wither 40-50 ft length in a 6 gallon igloo bucket work for a 15.5 keg with a pot still head. I know people usually go bigger on the worm but since I have so much length already was wondering if that what make up for it because it would be awesome if I could use this coil that I already have for my home-brew setup. Thank you so much guys, I want this to handle anything I can throw at it on the stripping run.
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Re: 40 ft 3/8 Worm

Post by just-a-sip »

a big issue in size isn't the volume which could be altered by length... a big issue in using smaller then 1/2 in is that if for any reason clogging or blockage occurred then you would have a major problem. i would say stick to 1/2 in tubing but thats just my opinion. im sure there are people using 3/8th with no problem but to each their own
Just-A-Sip
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

+1 on the 1/2". 3/8" is just small for a keg boiler. And that's also a little long.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

It is really going to depend on how you run your still.

I use a 3/8 dia worm that's only 10 ft long and it's always worked just fine. However, even when stripping, I always run pretty slow, just enough heat to get a stream just above dripping. I also add cooling water in my flake stand so that within the temp gradient there is always cold water at the bottom.

With the 3/8 you're going to have to construct the coil very carefully, insuring that you always have downward flow. If not then the distillate will collect in the flat spots and that means trouble. 40-50 ft is a bit excessive, half that length will work, just insure the water in the flake stand never get too hot.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Agree with 1/2" or bigger being preferable. If you're stuck with 40' of 3/8", cut it in half and run 2 parallel worms, but like big R said, be very careful about slope.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

heartcut wrote:Agree with 1/2" or bigger being preferable. If you're stuck with 40' of 3/8", cut it in half and run 2 parallel worms, but like big R said, be very careful about slope.
It sounds like a wort chiller for beer. Just bite the bullet and get the 1/2 inch.
Uncle Artie
Novice

Post by Uncle Artie »

I am using a 3/8 worm too, but only 20ft. I am thinking it should be fine because I have an 8qt thumper for my 12qt boiler (my whole setup is pretty small to keep it apt. sized) that ought to take care of anything that gets burped up, right?
Just getting started, trying not to be another idiot building a poison mill.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

Now come on folks, 40 foot is a bit long for a keg boiler, but 20 foot is fine. Obvious really just chop it in half and use two concentric parallel worms. Double the cross sectional area and lots of surface area. :)