Brix Reading

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Brix Reading

Post by BrooklynTech »

If my refractometer reads 10 Brix does that mean my mash (unfermented) has 10% sugar? That's not a very high SG reading for a fruit mix. should I add sugar and bring it higher to say 15 brix?
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Brix Reading

Post by Braz »

I don't know the answer, but here is a SG to Brix conversion table that might help you out. 10 Brix is about SG 1.040 according to the table. http://www.fermsoft.com/gravbrix.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Braz
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

10 brix is about 1.04 SG =5.3% alcohol
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

Braz wrote:I don't know the answer, but here is a SG to Brix conversion table that might help you out. 10 Brix is about SG 1.040 according to the table. http://www.fermsoft.com/gravbrix.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Mahalo! :D
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

Dnderhead wrote:10 brix is about 1.04 SG =5.3% alcohol
Mahalo. Is there a chart somewhere or formula that converts the SG to % alcohol?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

here's a calc.http://dd26943.com/davesdreaded/tools/convert.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow , or SG X 129=ABV (this is close,you will fiend slight variations)
if ferment stops befor 1.00 sg,,subtract FG (final gravaty) from OG (original gravaty)
then figer ABV from this NO..
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Fixed:
http://dd26943.com/davesdreaded/tools/convert.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Braz
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

BrooklynTech wrote:
Dnderhead wrote:10 brix is about 1.04 SG =5.3% alcohol
Mahalo. Is there a chart somewhere or formula that converts the SG to % alcohol?
OOPS, I meant to say convert SG to Percent Sugar. Sorry and thanks again for your help.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

BrooklynTech wrote:OOPS, I meant to say convert SG to Percent Sugar. Sorry and thanks again for your help.
Have you checked out the many calculators on the parent site...??? You should find just about every calculator needed throughout the still design, fermentation, distillation, and dilution process...

Percent sugar is not a real measurement, per se, as it doesn't really reflect anything for our purpose... We just need to know how much sugar it takes to attain a specific gravity which can then be fermented to a potential %ABV which will then be distilled... That measurement is in dry weight to total wash volume... It's explained completely on the parent site which should have been part of your mandatory research... You'll never stop learning in this hobby so even re-reading multiple times never hurts...
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

rad14701 wrote:
BrooklynTech wrote:OOPS, I meant to say convert SG to Percent Sugar. Sorry and thanks again for your help.
Have you checked out the many calculators on the parent site...??? You should find just about every calculator needed throughout the still design, fermentation, distillation, and dilution process...

Percent sugar is not a real measurement, per se, as it doesn't really reflect anything for our purpose... We just need to know how much sugar it takes to attain a specific gravity which can then be fermented to a potential %ABV which will then be distilled... That measurement is in dry weight to total wash volume... It's explained completely on the parent site which should have been part of your mandatory research... You'll never stop learning in this hobby so even re-reading multiple times never hurts...
Ya know I think I'm on brain overload. :D Now I think I was worried about % sugar in my unfermented juice when I was really thinking about the ABV of the fermented mash and worrying if I had enough to distil.

Think I'll have a cold beer and restart the brain in the morning. Many thanks for all the help and ideas.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

{Revived this old post because it pops up as one of the firsts when you search for "Brix", and to replace old broken links.}

Here's a handy Brix/Gravity/ABV calculator: https://www.brewersfriend.com/brix-converter/
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

fizzix wrote:{Revived this old post because it pops up as one of the firsts when you search for "Brix", and to replace old broken links.}

Here's a handy Brix/Gravity/ABV calculator: https://www.brewersfriend.com/brix-converter/
Thanks for sharing, I save those calc and they are very useful. Problem is when we link to other sites we have no control over the link. In the past we have had links fail. I will check if we have a conversion on the parent site otherwise in our glossary we also have a formula under the definition for brix.
Brix Scale a scale for calibrating hydrometers used for measuring the concentration and density of sugar solutions at a given temperature. A close but not exact formula for converting from Brix to SG is SG=1+(0.004 X Brix)
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Bushman, maybe with the parent site being overhauled (well...it was when I left so I only assume it is still happening) maybe we could put it on the parent site if you can't find it? Brewer's friend really has some great calcs too....

Another good place would be on the Wiki page... or SMY's wiki page, or the glossary.

I'll stop now.... :shock: :D
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."