Water for diluting/proofing

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shovlryder
Novice

Water for diluting/proofing

Post by Shovlryder »

My question is about the water used for dilution or proofing. I've searched this topic several times and it seems that most prefer distilled water. Am I right? How about water filtered through a Brita or similar filter or even bottled spring water? Any thought on this?
bowhunt76
Swill Maker

Re: Water for diluting/proofing

Post by bowhunt76 »

Anything short of distilled will cloud your product. But depending on how good your condenser works you can still your own.
my shizzle......13gal 3" vm.http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... p?id=19748

E. CLAMPUS, VITUS....HANG THE BASTARD
beelah
Trainee

Post by beelah »

I have used all of the above and they all work...the latest trend in scotch drinking is that if you are going to dilute the whiskey at all, the "experts" say it should be diluted with the same water as the whiskey is made from :crazy: which is almost as expensive as the whiskey... I have also tried rain water... The best is collected on the winter solstice through and until Jan 21st....in a deep bowl carved from western broad leave maple :ewink:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I have also tried rain water... The best is collected on the winter solstice through and until Jan 21st....in a deep bowl carved from western broad leave maple . Hmmm ? You wouldn't have a second business guiding folks on snipe hunts would you ? :eh:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I use tap water but I add alcohol to water, instead of water to alcohol, and have never had issues with clouding...
bowhunt76
Swill Maker

Post by bowhunt76 »

thats crazy that you can use tap water rad i tried that once and it turned to pure shit instantly.any time i use anything but distilled it clouds albeit to varying degrees with different water but distilled is always clear for me.
my shizzle......13gal 3" vm.http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... p?id=19748

E. CLAMPUS, VITUS....HANG THE BASTARD
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

I have never had any problem adding bottled water to my alcohol but have heard many times that it needs to be done the other way around to prevent clouding. I am sure it has a lot to do with temps and I have been lucky so far.
I just use the bottled water because of the taste. Distilled water has no minerals that can enhance the flavor.
Just my $0.02 worth.
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
rgarry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgarry »

I never even thought about this. I add tap water to the alcohol and never had any issues with cloudiness. Something is precipitating out. I bet its a function of water hardness but that's just a guess.
Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops »

I also use tap water for proofing without clouding. I live in a very soft water area which may make a difference as it doesn't have a great deal of minerals in it, like calcium and magnesium ions.
A man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over a man who cannot read.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

I use spring water from my own well. Never had a clouding issue and the water tastes good.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

rgarry wrote:I never even thought about this. I add tap water to the alcohol and never had any issues with cloudiness. Something is precipitating out. I bet its a function of water hardness but that's just a guess.
Same with me, I live in a fairly moderate hard water area, no problem with clouding.
BentJar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BentJar »

If its tails you are diluting, It dont matter what kinda water you use, It will cloud up. I tried it all. Right now, if i have some good tasting tails, I use them to dilute my hi proof licker down to drinking proof. This works for me. The oils in tails will mix with licker but not water without the dreaded blue tint.

my 2 cents.
OLD MAN IN THE SHED
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

I have one of those fridges with ice and filtered refrigerated water on tap, I use that to dilute with. Works a treat for me.
JimboNNY
Novice

Post by JimboNNY »

I’m still reading and researching before I get started. I read this thread and wondered about pH of my well water and if it’s an issue for proofing down. My water is exceptionally soft but I live in an area with acidic soils so the pH is low - like 6 or below. I’ll experiment with it but just curious if anybody has any experience with acidic well water.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

An additional $0.02 (for free)....R.O. (reverse osmosis) water works great. I have a R.O. filter in my home and it is excellent...I love to drink water with ice and the R.O. is “delicious”.

But the tap is great for tempering. And, it make your morning coffee taste so much better too...well worth the investment.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I’m knocking on wood (white oak, of course) while I post this: I’ve never had any issue with clouding when tempering down with tap water, bottled spring water, or distilled water. I think a lot of the “clouding” is associated with going too deep into the tails — which is fine if it tastes good. Lately I’ve been adding Distilled water to alcohol while it is spinning in the jar. So far, so good.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

IMG_20200804_081515.jpg
One week on oak proofed down with tap water.
We do have a water softener on out house. No idea how it works it was just there when we moved in. Buy uses salt to remove chlorine and calcium I believe. We then have the normal carbon filter on the drinking tap.
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

jayka wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:51 pm...We do have a water softener on out house...
Hmmmm....OK. You’ve got an “outhouse” with running water. Now, that’s a modern convenience!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pm
jayka wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:51 pm...We do have a water softener on out house...
Hmmmm....OK. You’ve got an “outhouse” with running water. Now, that’s a modern convenience!
ss
Haha! Our house! Although toilet water would explain the colour.
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....
Popeye
Novice

Post by Popeye »

Hi everyone!

I'm just starting to craft gin. I diluted it with bottled water without any issue.
Is the use of distilled water only to avoid cloudiness? I think a good quality mineral water can be better for the final product.
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

I use distilled water and also add alcohol to water not water to alcohol
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Popeye wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:41 am Hi everyone!

I'm just starting to craft gin. I diluted it with bottled water without any issue.
Is the use of distilled water only to avoid cloudiness? I think a good quality mineral water can be better for the final product.
I don't use distilled water or mineral water, I use RO water. All will louche if there is enough oils concentrated in the gin essence to make that happen at your desired dilution.

If you want to write 'mineral water' on the label, use it. You might have to dilute the gin flavors a bit more than you would have to if you used some kind of de-mineralised water and don't want cloudy gin.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

I use RO drinking water as well. Very little flavour or minerals in the water and it tastes fantastic. Works really well and I never have cloudy issues.