Hominy

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nabtastic
Novice

Re: Hominy

Post by nabtastic »

so you do boil the rice, ferment with A.O. and Monascus, then distill? sake is basically the same process but with steamed rice..and i think sochu is just sake with a very simply/crud distillation step.
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

ok here is complete instructions (pay attention to 5#)
How to Make Sake

Things You'll Need

1 1/2 cups Short grain white rice
Large bowl
Colander

Wash your 1 1/2 cups of short grain white rice by running cold water over it in a large bowl. You are removing the starch powder from the rice. Rinse with a colander. Place it back into the bowl and add cold water so it covers the rice by at least 2 inches. Refrigerate it for 12 hours or leave it on your kitchen counter for three hours.

Add 3/4 tsp. brewer's yeast nutrient to 2 1/2 cups of cold water in a fermenter, which is available at home-brew stores. Stir in 1/2 tsp. of Epsom salt and 1 1/4 tsp. Morton Salt Substitute until completely dissolved. Then, pour in 1/2 cup of koji. Stir again. The koji is found at Japanese grocery stores. Place it into the refrigerator

Drain your soaked rice in the colander for 30 minutes. Cook the rice in the steamer for 45 minutes. It should be tender and translucent.

Place the hot rice into the fermenter from the refrigerator with the koji mixture. Mix well and leave it at room temperature, about 74 degrees F. Stir twice a day with a sanitized spoon. After 48 hours, the koji liquifies the rice.

Cool the mixture to 50 to 60 degrees F in a refrigerator set at that temperature. Sprinkle in one pack of WYeast Sake #9 Yeast, which is found at home-brew supply stores. Cover it and refrigerate for 12 hours.

Raise the temperature of the mixture to 68 to 72 degrees by placing it in a cool basement or changing the setting on the refrigerator. Stir with a sanitized spoon two to three times a day for three days and then stir once a day for three more days.

Lower the temperature to 50 degrees and let it rest for five days. Line a sanitized 5-gallon bucket with a large, natural canvas bag to press the sake mixture. Ladle about 2 cups of the the sake mixture into the canvas bag.

Press the bag while it is twisted closed to press out the sake from the moromi, or the sake mash. Press as much liquid as possible and then throw out the solid mash. Ladle more of the moromi into the bag and press out the liquid.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

May I also say "koji" is used to make other things like sort of rice "pudding" that is why its in the Chinese food stores .
the diferant spores have diferant flavors or should say creates diferant flavors.
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

I don't make Sake,
I just cook rice and ferment it in a bucket
With asian molds. Nothing else.
Yeah, sometimes yellow will be dominant,
The nature of the Qhu is that it is imprecise.
They make them by exposing damp flour balls
To airborne asian yeasts...
Like ours, but over there!
Makes good Booze!
Cheers!
"You know, you can just buy that stuff right up the road" he said.
I just smiled, and said quietly, "No you can't".
nabtastic
Novice

Post by nabtastic »

Thanks, both of you. I've got a whole new world of recipes to try (with the song from Aladdin playing in background) :D
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

nabtastic wrote:hmm, i think the closest chinatown is in DC - which is about a 12 hour ride. a couple military bases nearby though, so i'm sure there are some well stocked Asian markets..
GO TO THE ASIAN MARKETS PLEASE!!!!
Hispanic and Other Markets are Productive as well...
INGREDIENTS!!!!

You will be amazed.
See my "Welcome" thread for more details,
I drunk Blog it constantly.

:twisted:
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

I do not claim credit for such things,
they have been used for thousands of years by those who came before...

Neither do I seek conflict.

There are many areas with which I am unfamiliar, this I have researched extensively,
and not just books, I do it, regularly,
and I want everybody who reads this to understand,

Sake is Sake.
Like Whiskey, or Bourbon, or Scotch,
it has a meaning, a precise meaning.

It has to be made a certain way, stored a certain way,
it MUST have certain things,
It MUST NOT have certain things.
Or else it is not that thing.

But still, everywhere, in every culture, Men and Women have made Booze.
Maybe it did not meet that precise definition,
but they made it, and drank it, and danced like hypnotized chickens.

I ferment Rice, in a bucket, with these things.
No added Enzymes, no added (other) yeast.
and the hot rice sterilizes the bucket,
so while my kitchen is a wild yeast farm, like yours might be,
the stuff doesn't get in.

The Qhui, or Jiuqi...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiuqu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Liquor starter
Main article: Jiuqu
Also known as a "starter cake" (麴餅; pinyin: qū bǐng) or "liquor medicine" (酒藥, 酒药; pinyin: jiǔ yaò), the liquor starters for Chinese alcoholic beverages are cakes or pastes containing a complex mixture of various yeasts, molds, and bacteria, which are used to inoculate the grains. The starter converts the grain starches to sugars, and sugars to ethanol.

There are three main types of starters:

Small starter (Chinese: 小麴, 小曲; pinyin: xiǎo qū): Rice that had been cultured predominantly by molds of the genus Rhizopus and Mucor.
Large starter (Chinese: 酒麴, 酒曲; pinyin: jiǔ qū, or 麥麴, 麦曲; pinyin: maì qū): Rice that had been cultured predominantly by Aspergillus oryzae.
Red starter (Chinese: 紅麴, 红曲; pinyin: hóng qū): Rice that had been cultured with yeast and Monascus purpureus.
The starter is either mixed in water using only the filtrate of the mixture, or the starter is dried, ground, and applied directly in the form of a dry powder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_al ... _beverages" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Anyways, hope that helps.
It's a hell of a drink, right from the bucket.
16% is average :shock:
And the leftover solides make a nice traditional Chinese dessert
(but I reuse them as Trub :thumbup: )
Cheers!
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

How Awesome would it be someday...

To Make Baijiu...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baijiu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

From Jobs Tears???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job%27s_Tears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Visit Asian Stores,
Browse endlessly for Ingredients.

Cheers!
:D

******* EDIT _ OMG I SAW THAT THERE!!!!!!!!!
Chinese Pearl Barley!!!!!!! I can Has This!!!! Walked by it, looked right at it!!!
Holy Crap, so glad I drunken posted here...
found a site that said what Job's Tears were, you know,
besides the obvious Biblical reference,
which I assumed was all there was...
Thanks for starting this thread,
and allowing my drunken stream of thought in it.
So Awesome.
Hooray You!
:thumbup: