Getting hot dunder from bolier

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Getting hot dunder from bolier

Post by Kareltje »

Rng4 wrote:I open the fill port on my still and fill it up out of the garden hose. Cools the hot dunder down, then I open my drain. I have a hose that comes off my drain and goes down through a hole in wood floor of my shed. Drains onto the ground and I never have to leave the shed to wash the boiler or refill it.
Good idea, when you live on a deep sandy soil. Like I do now.
But when I lived on a clay soil, I would not have tried it.
Or on rock.

When I bought my big still of 80 litres (for a crate of beer!), my friend who had build it, advised me to hang it in a harness so I could easily swing it. Make an axle just above the centre of the weight, so you can tilt it and make it turn its contents in a bucket or such.
Last edited by Kareltje on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Nor will I with a concrete floor, but will bring temp down quickly so the hose on the drain will be less vulnerable - I would think discharging on to bare earth could get very stinky after a while - and leave a lasting evidence trail :(
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

still_stirrin wrote:
Pikey wrote:...Has anyone tried reinforced Garden hose?
yuuuup!
Pikey,
I ain't tried the reinforced hose pipe,

but my washing machine drain pipe takes boiling water ok, so does the kitchen plastic waste pipe, maybe rig up a line from your boiler to the drain.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Two great ideas there Squint - thanks - trouble is I have a slightly uphill path from the drain to the kitchen gulley, so I need to get syphonage going with the gulley cover removed to empty the pot completely.

So whatever pipe I use needs to run full and perhaps over a little "hill" close to the still drain - like syphoning a wash out of a fermenter.

Then again washing machines have those little discharge pumps on them don't they ? which will empty them even somewhat uphill.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

You seem to make a riddle of it, and adding new information.
I thought of a siphon, made of garden hoses.
Hevel.jpg
Through the top hose you suck up the fluid till the whole hose is filled. Then you close the valve and you can move the outlet to where ever you want. As long as it is lower than the outlet.
When taking a leak I found an easier way. Just put your hose down under water and when it is filled, close the in- and outlet.
Then place your solidly filled hose with one end in the (high) source and with the other end in the lower sink. Then open both in- and outlet.
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

Kareltje wrote:You seem to make a riddle of it, and adding new information.
Hevel.jpg
Through the top hose you suck up the fluid till the whole hose is filled. Then you close the valve and you can move the outlet to where ever you want. As long as it is lower than the outlet.
When taking a leak I found an easier way. Just put your hose down under water and when it is filled, close the in- and outlet.
Then place your solidly filled hose with one end in the (high) source and with the other end in the lower sink. Then open both in- and outlet.
near boiling Dunder/Backset, don't think I would suck that hose lol :ewink:
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Squint

I'd rather not be scalded either.
My still has a 1/2" full port ball valve at the bottom with a barbed hose connector on it.
It allows me to attach a hose in order to direct the flow where I want (floor drain or stainless bucket).
As for collecting dunder, I wait about half an hour.
The charge would still be hot, but sufficient cooled so it doesn't damage the hose.
I just use a reinforced air pressure hose. It's rated for higher temperatures and resistant to chemicals.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Push the hose all the way under except the end goin out. Put finger in the openin of hose an pull hose out below level an then let go of finger inside quick. Hot draws easier than cold.

Garden hose gonna colapse . Get you some water bed hose. Make a curve out of somethin over lip or it gonna pinch shut.

All yall dumpin hot slops on the ground. Some places you would get got quick. Dig a hole an lime it down.

As far as you outfit. Never quit thinkin on how to make it better for you.

So im tole
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:You seem to make a riddle of it, and adding new information.
Not really Kareltje - the hose (or whatever) will connect to the drain at the bottom of the still. Fron there it goes up maybe 300-400 mm (a footish) then will go down the house drain. the highest point will be lower that the top of the charge at the start, so backset will flow. ie a syphon will auto-start.

At the end, air will get into the hose at one end or the other and being a fairly large diameter the syphon may collapse, possibly allowing some of the backset to get back into the still. That is where I thought I could give the hose a higher point outside the still, so when the syphon collapses (if indeed it does) , only the little amount between the top of the "hill" and the bottom of the still, within the pipe would flow back in and the rest would just settle in the pipe, until I disconnect the pipe and raise the end, when it will flow to the drain.

I can't raise the still much, because my preheater will need to be above it to allow the charge to refill the still. :)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you have some spare tube, make a U bend to go over the lip.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I made an adapter to fit the keg and use my little compressor to force it out . Just a few squrts of air and its flowing out nice . I now have silicone rubber hose
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Pikey wrote:
Rng4 wrote:I open the fill port on my still and fill it up out of the garden hose. Cools the hot dunder down, then I open my drain. I have a hose that comes off my drain and goes down through a hole in wood floor of my shed. Drains onto the ground and I never have to leave the shed to wash the boiler or refill it.
That's a thought - thanks for the idea Rng4 8)
that shed must have a stench beyond description in the florida sun
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Yummyrum wrote:I made an adapter to fit the keg and use my little compressor to force it out . Just a few squrts of air and its flowing out nice . I now have silicone rubber hose
My only concern would be about the oil in such compressor.
Many types are lubricated with oil, designed for the purpose.
If it's an oil free one, it's a good idea..or if it's hooked up to an oil separator.
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

No the shed doesn't stink. We have sandy soil and this time of year we get lots of rain which washes it away very well. Plus when I was the boiler out or run any water in my sink it dilutes it even farther. I don't have to come out in the open to do anything that the neighbors might see. Works just fine
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EF ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

fits my 26 gallon boilers spiggot perfectly and takes the boiling hot liquid just fine. I have a sweet arrangement where I can pull it out of hole under my kitchen sink and it goes down into the basement and voids into a utility sink there.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

goose eye wrote:Push the hose all the way under except the end goin out. Put finger in the openin of hose an pull hose out below level an then let go of finger inside quick. Hot draws easier than cold.

Garden hose gonna colapse . Get you some water bed hose. Make a curve out of somethin over lip or it gonna pinch shut.

All yall dumpin hot slops on the ground. Some places you would get got quick. Dig a hole an lime it down.

As far as you outfit. Never quit thinkin on how to make it better for you.

So im tole
Upcreek walkin lookin for slops and ridge walkin smellin for mash and listinen for a thump barrel . These folks ain't understood none of this yet , Goose eye . Hope it never comes on them unexpected .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

i 2nd baker.i siphon mine.even when its hot its no problem.
goose is right.no big deal.i use i thick garden hose and i siphon it out hot often.
sounds like somthing being complicated for nothing ???????
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed