Buying Parts

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gmm213
Novice

Buying Parts

Post by gmm213 »

I didn't know where to put this really so if it'd be better somewhere else please move it.

Anyway I was researching long distance hiking, I'm always living camping so. And while reading I came across something this guy's will do. They mail themselves supplies to a post office address with only their name and a side note of why. Could this be done for equipment with the use of a money order or prepaid credit card so at best they have your name? Grant it you need I'd to pick up the package but the post office not realizing what it is probably wouldn't look twice at your address unless you have to sign for it. Just use a post office that's not overly close to you. I go visit family that's about 6 hrs away every Mont or so.

I'm not planning on buying equipment just building but it's good for thought
I come from a long line of brewers and distillers both legal and illegal. Have to do the family name proud
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Re: Buying Parts

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Except that you're not mailing it to yourself. The retailer is mailing it to you. And you're going to have to have some proof of ID to pick it up. The post office doesn't like anonymous packages any more than any other part of the government. That whole Homeland Security thing.
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
gmm213
Novice

Post by gmm213 »

Yeah but you simply tell them your from or of town and make an excuse. I don't see the id as a huge problem. Especially for say N.Y. where you can get a sheriff's I'd with nothing but a ssc or birth certificates and has no info other than pic name and birthday. And thousands of people do it regularly every year on both coasts for they hiking so I don't see it being that far fetched.

The hardest part would be getting a retailer to agree to it but that's nothing technically illegal about it
I come from a long line of brewers and distillers both legal and illegal. Have to do the family name proud
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

It seems like more trouble than it would be worth. Most, if not all of the parts needed, can be sourced locally and paid for in cash. The only thing that gives me the heeby-jeeby's, that I buy, is my sugar. 50# bag for $18.00, at Sam's Club. I used to pay cash, but figured it doesn't matter, since you have to have a membership card. The only parts I bought online were my keg(brand new), SCR controller, and four prong dryer cords.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

The KYChemist wrote:It seems like more trouble than it would be worth. Most, if not all of the parts needed, can be sourced locally and paid for in cash. The only thing that gives me the heeby-jeeby's, that I buy, is my sugar. 50# bag for $18.00, at Sam's Club. I used to pay cash, but figured it doesn't matter, since you have to have a membership card. The only parts I bought online were my keg(brand new), SCR controller, and four prong dryer cords.
"My wife is interested in starting up a home pastry/wedding cake business." :wink:

Small parts, components, widgets, I can't see the slightest problem ordering anything direct. If someone feels they MUST buy a major still component like a boiler, column, or condenser, it might help to have an extremely trustworthy friend who can take delivery for you. If TTB comes a'knocking, "I sold it for cash to some dude because I changed my mind."
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Just source from different suppliers. Theres nothing wrong with buying plumbing and baking equipment. The government has better things to do than track down everyone buying parts that they might/could use to build a still.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

gmm213 wrote:Yeah but you simply tell them your from or of town and make an excuse. I don't see the id as a huge problem. Especially for say N.Y. where you can get a sheriff's I'd with nothing but a ssc or birth certificates and has no info other than pic name and birthday. And thousands of people do it regularly every year on both coasts for they hiking so I don't see it being that far fetched.

The hardest part would be getting a retailer to agree to it but that's nothing technically illegal about it
It's called "Hold for Pickup", and the people picking up the packages have IDs Because they have to. Read the regs yourself.

Parcel Select "Hold For Pickup" Handling Instructions and Address Label

Handling Instructions

• Scan parcel "Arrive at Pickup Point."

• Place all Parcel Select "Hold For Pickup" parcels in "Left Notice" area.

• When the customer arrives for pickup, the customer must provide a valid government-issued photo ID.

If you want to pick up a package with a false ID, that's up to you. It's a whole 'nother level of federal crime. But I wouldn't advise advocating it here on the forum. It's not helpful or probably within the forum rules either.
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
gmm213
Novice

Post by gmm213 »

I never said fake ID, I said sheriffs ID. They are perfectly legal and as far as Ny they can be had for $10. They are issued by the sheriffs dept. And it was just food for thought. I was thinking major components. Yes they can be built or had locally but I read many times on here people ordering large components that would get them on the TTB list and thought of this way, if absolutely necessary and you want to buy online. Technically nothing about it is illegal, just a loophole that may be able to be exploited.
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

If it's not a fake ID, then what exactly is the "loophole"? you've mailed it to yourself and you have to go pick it up. Your name is still on file. Your address is on file for the ID with the Sherrif's Department. It's no different from driving to the retailer and buying it. You're probably better off doing that, as they might not as for a gov't issued ID. But it is not like the TTB can't add 2+2.

Easiest way to avoid being on any list is to not purchase a boiler, column or condensor from a retailer. Build your own. Somewhere that should be documented as standard advice on this forum.
gmm213
Novice

Post by gmm213 »

It makes a lot of work for them. More than having mailed to you or a buddy.