Overly strong corn taste

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nubourne
Novice

Overly strong corn taste

Post by nubourne »

Hello,

I'm so happy to find this site. Like most in this section i've spent alot of time reading
up and watching those good tube videos for the home distiller. I've
completed my second run and im mostly happy with the smoothness and strength of the
result.

I used a about a pound of corn meal and 4 LBs of sugar in a 5
gallon tank. The final product has such a strong taste of corn it is
overwhelming. Is corn supposed to over power the result or did I do something horribly wrong.

I've searched for a good answer to this and haven't found anything close to
my question. Trouble is I haven't tasted anything to compare taste to
(accept something i think was moonshine I tasted when I was pretty young that was like rubbing alcohol).
nor do I have anyone to really ask. Any insight would be great and if this
was covered before in a topic and i missed it i apologize.

thanks!
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Overly strong corn taste

Post by bearriver »

Your corn likker came out tasting like corn? :wtf: Whudda thunk... :moresarcasm:

On a serious note, do you not like it?
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

If the corn is too strong. Water down to below 40%abv and run it again. Might clean it up and remove some of the corn taste.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
nubourne
Novice

Post by nubourne »

I don't mind it but it is definitely too over powering. It has given me a new appreciation for corn to say the least. I'm nervous to let anyone try it because of the taste.

I guess bottom line is, I am wondering if corn whiskey made in this fashion normally is this strong or did I use too much corn meal perhaps?

Thanks guys , I'm as green as they get so I appreciate it.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

A good bourbon should taste noticeably of corn (among other things) IMO. Nothing wrong with that.

The corn might taste so strong because its all alone. There are no alternate grains or oak aging to add complexity.
nubourne
Novice

Post by nubourne »

appreciate that answer. Thank you
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Try some recipes from tried and true
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

I've tried for months to get a true CORN whiskey, a lot of guys do. Put it up or on oak and give it sometime to age or mello out a bit. Try some different recipes, maybe sweet feed it's a rumskey, you will probably like it too. Good luck keep reading.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

nubourne You are still new borne. So it sounds like you are doing pretty good job. Usually most do 4 or 5 runs with a fores cut and then do a spirit run on what they drink. Most would collect in small jars and then put coffee filters over them and then air out for a day or 2. At that point they might put on oak or if they had plan to drink white put back to age for a while (like 4-6 months). 1.5-2 lbs of sugar to 1 gal of water is a good idea to stay around. Bigbob says tried and true is where you need to go and that is xcellant advice. Corn on oak is sweet. You have new corn. If you got corn taste sounds like you ran fast and thats what you should be doing on striping run. Aging and/or oaking will turn it special. Read or re read cuts and oaking and ageing and you will get top shelf stuff. There is a thread on ageing and oaking that you need to read and I am sorry I can't find it. Your results sound great. Listen and read and take notes on everything you do even if you think it is stupid. Sorry for ranting but you are in the money.

Posting when Somo but sounds like he is on same idea as me or pretty close.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 63&t=13261
nubourne
Novice

Post by nubourne »

Awesome info, appreciate it very much.
JH1
Novice

Post by JH1 »

I'm assuming you went with a UJSM-style no-cook sugar mash w/cornmeal.
The 1st generation runs of this stuff are supposed to be the sweetest I heard, which so far mine is.

Easy problem to solve here, oak em'! Put some nice heavy toasted or charred oak chips/sticks in there & let it age.
Tastes good, and nicely colored after just 1 week in small pint jars!
(I like to shake them up every so often when I get bored, makes me think it soaks faster)

If you want to mask the corn taste a little more, I recommend adding a few cinnamon sticks in there as well.
Makes a nice fireball-type whiskey, & tastes great depending on what brand sticks you get. Mr.Piss's recipe.

I'm enjoying this at around 65%, 40% is smooth. I don't see a reason to drink it clear anymore other than impatience.
Cut hearts, oak/flavor/age. Makes some good drink. Good luck!
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

What proof does it come out of the still at and what are you cutting it down to for drinking? Also airing the liquor overnight will dissipate the corn flavor & odor some.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

You said you watched YouTube videos, forget everything you saw there. Did you let your wash clear then siphon off the clear wash into the boiler or dump the whole thing in? I try to rack my ferments twice before running them.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

"Overly strong corn taste"?!? Man, congrats! That's what I am looking for for a long time!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
nubourne
Novice

Post by nubourne »

okay forgotten :). This wash fermented in 7 days. (probably 6 but i was busy :)). I strained the wash through cheese cloth once and nothing visibly solid got past. I dont have a hydrometer yet but it a whiff will water the eyes a little. Nothing crazy, a few sips had me going though :).

I will try leaving the cap off. I was afraid i would lose some of the alcohol. I spent the rest of last night reading through the tried and true posts.

thanks for all the info.
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

I actually had the same thought on my first AG corn run. Not a fan of the stuff white, but the character is amazing when you flavor it with anything.

Simple cinnamon stick in the jar for a day or two made for a helluva drink, made some great tai terror as well. I put two jars on oak and they've been sitting there since late march been busy and haven't produced anything since so I hope they turn out well!
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

There are a few more questions that need answered here. First what type still do you run? second what type yeast did you use? Were any nutrients used in your wash besides just corn meal and sugar?

That asked it sounds as though you just did a corn and sugar wash you found somewhere on youtube. It also sounds as though you have a simple pot still. It also sounds as though you got a product of some kind which is a pretty good job under the circumstances.

Now for the next question did you make cuts and get rid of the foreshots, heads and tails a very important step as foreshots are poisonous? Heads create headaches and tails can be good or bad depending on your taste preferences.

The new distillers reading lounge here has some very good information when first starting out it will help answer a lot of questions that you don't know you have yet. here is a link.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

Next there is a thing on the front page of the forum called the tried and true recipe section, pick a recipe from there and make it until you have perfected it this will help you learn proper distilling easily. Follow the directions exactly until you learn. Here is that link.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Lastly in the new distillers reading lounge is a thread called Kiwi's guide to cuts read it thoroughly and get a good understanding of cuts then you will be well on your way. Here is that link.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 63&t=13261

That should help get you going. Now as for your original question yes corn can be overpowering if you don't like strong corn flavor. Most of us do like it strong. But all this reading material will help you land on something you will like and make your experience enjoyable. Hope this helps!

@odin - you just need American Corn LOL.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

wv_cooker wrote:

@odin - you just need American Corn LOL.
Poor Odin lol

Nubourne: listen to the guys about scrapping the youtube vids. Anything good are few and far between. Lots of good reading here to help you safely make a good drink.
I wish I had your corn flavor problem! I get good corn flavor, but more is always welcome!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I think a bunch of stuff got through your cloth. Try racking it off leaving the trub into another container let it settle for a couple more days then rack it off to the boiler again leaving the setiment. This should give you a clean product without the overwhelming corn flavor or yeast flavor or scorching.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

nubourne,

corn flavor is short lived. this is discussed all over in the bourbon industry. corn flavor dissipates big time in bourbons and leaves behind only the sweetness, and flavor from the wheat or rye, which only makes up 30% typically of bourbon.

Age it for a while and come back to it later. 4 months is my minimum on everything I make. the flavor changes dramatically in the first few months aging
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Jimbo, are you saying that I do not have a problem, having no corn flavour, since even if you have it it will go away quickly?

Really?

:crazy:

So I have been chasing gohsts ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Odin wrote:Jimbo, are you saying that I do not have a problem, having no corn flavour, since even if you have it it will go away quickly?

Really?

:crazy:

So I have been chasing gohsts ...

Odin.
I think the OP already wrote your lazy bastard recipe :lol:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Here's a few words from Bernie Lubbers, whiskey advocate for several brands, educator, author (I read his book Bourbon - Our Native Spirit, its pretty good)

"Corn – The flavor of corn is very prevalent fresh off the still in the White Dog. But over years of aging, corn becomes neutral, and lends mostly in the over all sweetness to the finished product."

"Traditional Bourbon Recipe (my term, not industry’s) – 70-80% corn –with the balance rye and some barley. Think of sweet and spicy, back of the tongue experience. Bourbon can be up to 100% corn, but corn becomes neutral during aging only keeping the sweetness, so a flavoring grain of rye is used, and of course the barley for converting those starches in to sugar, and that biscuity quality and hints of chocolate."

Ive read similar from other notable 'whiskey folks' in the industry. My experience is the same too. The bourbons (mine) that Im drinking now that are 1 and 2 years old do not taste of corn. But they did off the still and for a bit when young.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
nubourne
Novice

Post by nubourne »

Great information, thank you. I suppose I should start looking for a barrel?

Thanks
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

nubourne wrote:Great information, thank you. I suppose I should start looking for a barrel?

Thanks
IMO, That's a good idea, and go for a new one barrel, not a used one.

Look at Gibbs, or Swan, for a new one. Or google this site for the name of that Mexican barrel maker...

It's worth it.

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
magmikey
Novice

Post by magmikey »

You could try to polish it which should lessen the overpowering corn taste. I use a Brita filter and pass it through it a couple of times, but I've been shooting for a vodka, but one pass takes the heavy corn taste out of the product I have been making.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

If a Brita filter is plastic and I think it is and you want to filter it I would not use a Brita filter. Alcohol can melt and you could be drinking plastics. Its rule #8 in rules we live by. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =35&t=5090. If you use filters no plastics please.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

+1 baked don't use a Brita filter,get a racking siphon and use that to transfer your wash.Don't be in no hurry to run it let it clear good before you run.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
magmikey
Novice

Post by magmikey »

Halfbaked. Thanks for the board insight, don't want to step on any rules even accidentally. I actually spent most of my career to date in the plastics packaging industry so am familiar with the potential leaching of plastics into products. I hadn't really put that much thought into this as it passes through the filter so quickly, but I will take your advice and move away from that solution. The activated carbon is really what I was after in polishing to a neutral and removing the heavy grain taste after distillation at least in the cracked corn/6 row that I have been working on. Good advice, thanks.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

If it's a neutral you are after, why not just go with a sugar wash? Birdwatchers is a popular one. And if you double or triple distill, it comes out pretty smooth, and smoother with time.