Vengeance Stills

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rickyaifd
Novice

Vengeance Stills

Post by rickyaifd »

Did not know the best thread to place this question....but in researching a possible still to purchase as my metal working skills are non-existent...found a company called Vengeance Stills which seems to be the most promising. Thy offer as an option for their stills a sealing ring that negates the use of a paste to seal the neck to the boiler. Doesn't seem to specify the type of sealing gasket though Does anyone have any information as to how reliable the company is? Here are the links....first - to the still in question... https://vengeancestills.com/product/5-g ... -optional/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
and to the clamp - https://vengeancestills.com/product/4-p ... on-stills/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Vengeance Stills

Post by pfshine »

If I were you, I would not look at anybody that is trying to sell you a mason jar thumper, let alone for $30.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
rickyaifd
Novice

Post by rickyaifd »

I know from my reading to avoid glass at all costs...so i would opt for the copper thumper.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

pfshine wrote:If I were you, I would not look at anybody that is trying to sell you a mason jar thumper, let alone for $30.
I argee, anyone that sells a mason jar thumper is a company I would avoid. That's kinds thin copper for a still isn't it?
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

rickyaifd wrote:Did not know the best thread to place this question....but in researching a possible still to purchase as my metal working skills are non-existent...found a company called Vengeance Stills which seems to be the most promising. Thy offer as an option for their stills a sealing ring that negates the use of a paste to seal the neck to the boiler. Doesn't seem to specify the type of sealing gasket though Does anyone have any information as to how reliable the company is? Here are the links....first - to the still in question... https://vengeancestills.com/product/5-g ... -optional/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
and to the clamp - https://vengeancestills.com/product/4-p ... on-stills/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Looks like a standard tri clamp and a silicon gasket.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I am going to say no on these stills. The pictures weren't very close but it looks like the bottoms are just set on an over sized copper plate circle and fillet soldered. There is no lapping of the seam or any fold over on the seams for strength. I think there was a post several months ago of a still like this that had the bottom joint come apart while being ran dumping hot wash all over the burner and floor. . The bottoms at 16 or even 20 ounce are also very thin to be using propane heat on especially with no lapping for seam strength. If they would show a close up of the seams it would be beneficial. Shoot them an e-mail and ask them if the seams are lapped for strength. Neat CNC plasma cutter though.
rickyaifd
Novice

Post by rickyaifd »

Update...found out for sure that the gasket is silicone...which if I have read correctly...is not recommended for alcohol distilling. Am I correct on that?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

rickyaifd wrote:Update...found out for sure that the gasket is silicone...which if I have read correctly...is not recommended for alcohol distilling. Am I correct on that?
Correct... Some use them but . . . .
Slappy26
Novice

Post by Slappy26 »

I actually own one of these stills? With the traditional thumper. It works great and producing wonderful tasting product. The downside is the bottom. The edge of cylinder is bead rolled for an indention, but the bottom is just set on this indention and soldered. Mine developed significant leaks after 1.5 years. I repaired and it ran for a but and then again had a massive failure. I've since built a much larger, rigid still, but I still have this one. I will fix it and use it for small batch runs. The owner is a good guy.
Biker Mark
Novice

Post by Biker Mark »

Is there a company that makes a "Good" boiler with the bottom constructed properly?
I'm not looking for the old "build your own" answer, I work 12 hours + a day, 7 days a week and hardly have time to drink it, let alone make it and build a still. :crazy:

I bought the Vengeance 5 gallon kit and soldered it myself about 6 months ago. I noticed the design imperfection as well, I paid extra attention to the bottom when soldering.
The bottom is recessed about an inch, and one side has begun to bend over, inward toward the bottom, from tipping the still to pour out the backset.
I'm considering tapping it over all the way around and re-soldering it. this would give the bottom a "fold over" and another layer of soldered joint.
I'm not having any problems so far, but a preemptive strike may be in order before I'm wading in 200 degree wash.
American By Birth, Biker by Choice, Country by the Grace Of God.
_
5 Gallon Appalachian style Pot Still with 2 Thumper's and Worm.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... &mode=view
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Biker Mark wrote:Is there a company that makes a "Good" boiler with the bottom constructed properly?
I'm not looking for the old "build your own" answer, I work 12 hours + a day, 7 days a week
There are plenty of them out there. Remember that you get what you pay for. Of course at 72 hours a week, money should be no object 8)
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Biker Mark
Novice

Post by Biker Mark »

Hound Dog wrote: There are plenty of them out there. Remember that you get what you pay for. Of course at 72 hours a week, money should be no object 8)
I have Motorcycles to maintain! $$ :crazy: That's why I gotta make my own drink. :thumbup:
I'm willing to pay for quality, but I've been scouring the WWW looking for NC style pot stills with cap and arm with limited results.

I found these: http://www.appalachianmetalworks.com/mo ... key-making" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Anyone have any eperience with these, or heard anything?
American By Birth, Biker by Choice, Country by the Grace Of God.
_
5 Gallon Appalachian style Pot Still with 2 Thumper's and Worm.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... &mode=view
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Biker Mark wrote:
Hound Dog wrote: There are plenty of them out there. Remember that you get what you pay for. Of course at 72 hours a week, money should be no object 8)
I have Motorcycles to maintain! $$ :crazy: That's why I gotta make my own drink. :thumbup:
I'm willing to pay for quality, but I've been scouring the WWW looking for NC style pot stills with cap and arm with limited results.

I found these: http://www.appalachianmetalworks.com/mo ... key-making" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Anyone have any eperience with these, or heard anything?
Since you brought it up, I know that expense :| this one has been on the lift for a bit waiting on my dead ass to replace the leaking main seal. Luckily my Fatboy is up and running...
rps20160617_192942.jpg
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Luckily my Fatboy is up and running......thunbs up