Sweet Feed

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hanson423
Novice

Sweet Feed

Post by Hanson423 »

I'm new to this and for my first mash I would like to use a sweet feed. Has anyone here seen the video on YouTube "Moonshine Making 101" by pontiuspylate? I would like to follow his steps in that video. Anyone have anything to say about his ways of doing it? Anything good or bad about it, any info would be helpful.
rad14701
retired

Re: Sweet Feed

Post by rad14701 »

Hanson423 wrote:I would like to follow his steps in that video.
No, you don't...!!! Avoid YouTube like the plague unless you are following a credible link from these forums... Forget everything you thought you learned there and start fresh here... You're where you need to be... The only place you need to be... Bouncing around the internet trying to learn is a recipe for disaster... We have checks and balances here that books, blogs, YouTube, and everywhere else don't have... And probably several millennia of combined practical experience...
Hanson423
Novice

Post by Hanson423 »

rad14701 wrote:
No, you don't...!!! Avoid YouTube like the plague unless you are following a credible link from these forums... Forget everything you thought you learned there and start fresh here... You're where you need to be... The only place you need to be... Bouncing around the internet trying to learn is a recipe for disaster... We have checks and balances here that books, blogs, YouTube, and everywhere else don't have... And probably several millennia of combined practical experience...
Could you possibly suggest a good mash I can start with that doesn't require me getting stuff like amayle? Or just a straight sugar wash. Like a corn mash or something?

Also have you seen the video I'm talking about? Is a sweet feed mash bad?
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

That's what sweet feed is, a straight sugar wash. Follow the directions exactly in the tried and true and you won't go wrong.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Hanson423 wrote:
rad14701 wrote:
Could you possibly suggest a good mash I can start with that doesn't require me getting stuff like amayle? Or just a straight sugar wash. Like a corn mash or something?

During your research, which we consider mandatory, you should have found the Tried and True Recipe forum... Sweet Feed and UJSSM give good flavor for being sugarheads...

And, yes, I've seen the video... Hence my previous advice... After a year or so go back and watch it again and you'll see if from a more knowledgeable perspective and should be able to pick out some flaws...
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Look at the sweet feed recipe on this forum under the tried and true recipes. It has hundreds and hundreds of posts to it. Simple and foolproof that's why it is in the "Tried and True" section of the fourum.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Hanson423
Novice

Post by Hanson423 »

rad14701 wrote:
Hanson423 wrote:
rad14701 wrote:

During your research, which we consider mandatory, you should have found the Tried and True Recipe forum... Sweet Feed and UJSSM give good flavor for being sugarheads...

And, yes, I've seen the video... Hence my previous advice... After a year or so go back and watch it again and you'll see if from a more knowledgeable perspective and should be able to pick out some flaws...
Just wanted let you know, I went back and watched it. And yes. I've seen many flaws! Haha! :lolno: