gots me a keg

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

gots me a keg

Post by markieb »

Hi guys well its been a while and done a fair bit of researching, couldnt source a keg from anywhere only the corney kegs but today I went past a scrap metal merchents popped in on the off chance if they had any 2inch copper they didnt le sigh :-( but from behind a gate I saw a keg all on its lonesome, I asked if it was steel he said sure is then he said its 5pounds uhhh roughly 7 dollars lol 50ltr keg for a fiver.he then said ive got some more if your interested I said okay went and looked and he had a stack of id say about 12ltr but they were aluminium so I steared well clear dont need no pitting in me vodka :lol: im a very happy chappy with todays result now down to sourcing 2 inch copper from the uk lol :egeek:
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: gots me a keg

Post by FullySilenced »

or 3" or 4" don't limit your search...

have fun and happy stillin,

FS

congrats on the keg... use it wisely
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

:lol: its hard getting anything copper piping at 54mm 2 inch here in uk I reckon 3 or 4 would be an import job
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

My plan is a copper pipe with ferrules from the keg then make a reflux top bokabob style and then a pot still will also have a flavour basket to make up gins and flavoured drinks that way it can be versatile and wont just be tied down to one or the other, I know a bokabob can still make whiskey and reflux can make neutrals but prefer to have the right tool for the right job first time round and having he tops interchangeable will be alot less hassle im quite simples so want to keep it easy lol
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

Congrats! Thats a helluva find for the cheap! Scrap guy in Canada wanted $70 for it as it's stainless steel. Sure it is there too ain't it? Managed to talk the local pub manager into letting me have one of his for what he paid for as deposit. $30 but your 5 quid sounds much better.
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

This is the first sankey keg ive found thats legit and not 85pound lol I found them on siba but theyre from brewerys and all wanted 30 to 40 pound for shipping and around 50 for purchase.i asked marrow brothers and they didnt seem to bothered and also another company but they wanted £85 + shipping lol so trying to do this as a cheap hobby and cheap presents for xmas :wink: what says merry xmas better then a bottle of your hand crafted finest tinkle water :lol: if I forget to get silver solder I can even give my family the gift of darkness :lol:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Cheap it ain't...
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

My hobby at the moment costs me about 100 to 200 pounds a week I cant afford to gamble and I tend to put my upmost into what im doing so figure this is going to be alot healthier for my pocket then the bookies :D 7
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

markieb wrote:What says merry xmas better then a bottle of your hand crafted finest tinkle water
Sounds like you've just peed in a bottle!

And it's Bokakob. 2 Bs 2Ks.

Congratulations on the upgrade :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

good score on the keg
get your big copper here
http://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-fitti ... 219mm-c174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Don't be a dick
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

:lol: thanks mikey yeah I get a little confudled with my spelling and most times dont bother with punctuation as im not very good with my writting but alas I try as you can see from the previous post on this thread I got it rigt that time lol .

Swedish thanks for the link i was looking them guys up earlier they got some big copper there.i tried b&q today they only go to 28mm tired at wicks and they were the same the plumbase center in exeter only had 5 lenths of 54mm in meter increments left at marsh barton for £15.54 per meter and another builder merchants online were wanting £43 for a 3 meter 54mm rod then another 40 ontop for posting :roll: the guys you posted dont want shipping over 50 so if I was to buy the copper plus fittings it should tally up right.

thanks for the comments and links and help everyone its all appreciated
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

JTM are awesome :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!