Building a room in my garage

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tucker0104
Novice

Building a room in my garage

Post by tucker0104 »

Has anyone ever built a room in their garage specifically for mash to ferment? I am thinking about building like a 6x4x6 room with a window unit to cool and heat. I have extra 2x4s sitting around and can get insulation for cheap. This would allow me to ferment 3 or 4 10 gallon batches. I can just brew all day.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Building a room in my garage

Post by NZChris »

Be aware that CO2 can build up to dangerous levels in a small space. Venting it could save a life.
tucker0104
Novice

Post by tucker0104 »

Thanks for the heads up. I would only be going in there to place them in there and then monitor them by just opening the door to look. Final phase, I could fan it out some before I go in there to get the fermenters.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You also don't want kids using it to play hide and seek.
tucker0104
Novice

Post by tucker0104 »

Only take them once to learn their lesson.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

What ambient temperatures are you experiencing that a dedicated air conditioner is necessary ? What happened with the crawlspace idea ? Can you not ferment somewhere within your living space ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

greggn wrote:What ambient temperatures are you experiencing that a dedicated air conditioner is necessary
read that again.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

I framed and drywalled the "his" side of our garage. I initially did it for a side job I have but have been using it to distill since taking up the hobby last year. I framed the far side of the garage (the his side), drywalled and installed a drop ceiling along with a locking door. It's perfect, no one wants to go in there.... I have my vintage "big-iron" Silicon Graphics computers out there so it's wired with both 220 and 20 amp 110. I do everything in there and no one knows. I haven't told anyone what I'm doing, no one thinks twice about it either. Because it's a room in a room there's no smells that permeate into the rest of the house either.

I bought a truck that wouldn't fit so I put that space to good use. I highly recommend doing it if you can, it's a great way of getting some personal space that you can do what you want and no one bothers you..\
tucker0104
Novice

Post by tucker0104 »

Smokee wrote:I framed and drywalled the "his" side of our garage. I initially did it for a side job I have but have been using it to distill since taking up the hobby last year. I framed the far side of the garage (the his side), drywalled and installed a drop ceiling along with a locking door. It's perfect, no one wants to go in there.... I have my vintage "big-iron" Silicon Graphics computers out there so it's wired with both 220 and 20 amp 110. I do everything in there and no one knows. I haven't told anyone what I'm doing, no one thinks twice about it either. Because it's a room in a room there's no smells that permeate into the rest of the house either.

I bought a truck that wouldn't fit so I put that space to good use. I highly recommend doing it if you can, it's a great way of getting some personal space that you can do what you want and no one bothers you..\

Message sent.
tucker0104
Novice

Post by tucker0104 »

NZChris wrote:Be aware that CO2 can build up to dangerous levels in a small space. Venting it could save a life.
How is CO2 going to build up if the window unit is blowing in outside air?
tucker0104
Novice

Post by tucker0104 »

greggn wrote:What ambient temperatures are you experiencing that a dedicated air conditioner is necessary ? What happened with the crawlspace idea ? Can you not ferment somewhere within your living space ?

Hot enough to warrant an air conditioner.

The crawlspace idea was going to be too much work every ferment. A pain to get everything down there and out. With this idea, everything will be on wheels and close to each other. A lot easier to monitor things.

If I could ferment in my living space then I wouldn't have to build a room in my garage.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

My wife is a seamstress and I put pvc rails on the ceiling and she made curtains to reach the floor. Looks like where the wizard of oz was hiding. LOL
tucker0104
Novice

Post by tucker0104 »

dieselduo wrote:My wife is a seamstress and I put pvc rails on the ceiling and she made curtains to reach the floor. Looks like where the wizard of oz was hiding. LOL

Where do you keep it?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I think a lot of us just have the whole garage - Time you get your kettle and sundries in there , there won't be room to move. - If you just want it as a temperature controlled space for ferments, Split it in two 3 foot spaces with a big shelf and you can stack your fermenters :wink:
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

I have a decent size garage and keep two cars and two motorcycles in with more than plenty of room left for other stuff, just had to make a curtain to block off my brewing area so
when the wife comes home and the garage door open when I am working I'm not advertising to the whole neighborhood. Even with all my stuff cleaned and put away it looks like a lab...
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.