Views on buying a still in the UK-non DIY BUILD

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Views on buying a still in the UK-non DIY BUILD

Post by yakattack »

Sorry to hear bout the health issues. Keep on there. We live we pay taxes and we die. Some of us are lucky to make good whiskey along the way.

No issue understanding you. We're a patient lot here.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I'm glad you are doing well and excited about future endeavors. Have fun, stay safe, take the time you need.
Welcome back.
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Thx Yak,
Been a bit frustrating..specially trying to get the words out...I know what I want to say or speak lost in translation between brain my voice box...and my finger to type.
Anyways...
Starting again...
It's best I put my learning into a thread in the novice section..
And I can slowly (slowly coz I have to lol...and it's what I've always done)
Like I said earlier got the grainfather and had successful all grain brews.
All from sanitation, water treatment all the way yeast management.
I think the way I will go is the GF + T-500...for now!
Simple voddy wash.
Learning to adapt the gf (hoses, seals etc)
No prob with fermintation etc my man cave has 3 ferm fridges and all the kit.
Btw! Sometimes I learn with pictures, coz reading can get confusing..so I'll ask befor I put pics on (just looked about security of sending pics...but need more confirmation how to do things lol :lolno:
So....
Grainfather....and all the kit to do washes, DJ's mason jars etc.
Buying a T500 I thinks!
Thx again
Amber
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Thx you so much for kind words,
All is needed now to finish this thread, I got the GF and know I want to get a T-500.
Make my own thread of my progress.
Like home brewing beers etc...even I been HB'ing 30 odd years..I always take time, don't rush in.
Patients, learning all the time...then put what I've learnt into action.
There's novices then there me!! Haha!
ATB
Amber
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

If I remember correctly the grain father has a distilling attachment. I know nothing about the grain father in terms of approved materials for distilling so you would have to do the research on that. Otherwise the t500 will do you solid with some simple modifications.

If you were in my neck of the woods I'd offer to lend a had if you needed it, but sadly I'm across the pond.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

yakattack wrote:If I remember correctly the grain father has a distilling attachment. I know nothing about the grain father in terms of approved materials for distilling so you would have to do the research on that. Otherwise the t500 will do you solid with some simple modifications.

If you were in my neck of the woods I'd offer to lend a had if you needed it, but sadly I'm across the pond.
Hahaa! its only miles apart...but be good someone that understands my probs etc.
:clap:
later my mate.
Amber
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

From what I've read the grain father pot still dome will fit the t500 and has a silicone gasket plus an o-ring. They said it's either 500 or 2000 watts either or not controllable unless modified. Also the liebig is on the short end but the plus of that is you can modify or make a new one and easily solder it because it copper.

Not much more info on their site about it other than selling turbo and carbon crap!

Sorry to hear about your disability holding you back a bit, don't be afraid of trying anything! The only thing that can hold you back is yourself!
You show me a man who's not failed and I'll show you a man who's never tried.
Now, get to it and make some booze! Lol
Shine0n
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

M8,
Awesome advice..
I'll take it slow...notes every step of the way..
As you said time to make booze.
Later
Amber
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

I thought my new thread about GF & T500 was gathering tumbleweed :ebiggrin:
but, there's help there now.
now looking at the possible power controllers to regulate the temps need with the GF.
been suggested a few time, just get my old pot still and work with that.
was thinking the thread was making a full circle...back to which still to buy in the UK.
the hard part (apart my tiny brain power!) is knowing I've got a GF that can covert into a still system...if I didn't have it, it be soo easier :lolno: :lolno:
TBH if the GF & t500 ( or the GF & Alembic still) isn't going to work as I wished....prob save time n money and look at £200-2500 larger still.
gas operated still is my main fright...and a electric still that has power control and cost....
Like I said in my other thread, I've save the operation notes for the small still....and now patching up the notes with what memories I have left.
great to get back to researching and learning.
once again......I never done things fast! if it takes months to fathom out what to do, so be it!safe than sorry! :thumbup:
patience is my allies...had to be for the last 2.5 years of getting better with my illness...
upwards on onwards....enjoying it and using my brain...getting stronger everyday..
thx for viewing and hope you understand me lol
ATB
Amber
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Good to read your health is improving.. :thumbup:
Well, I don't know about the costs for gas in the UK, but here it's rather expensive (if I calculate on what electricity costs).
Furthermore, I run my rig inside my apartment, so gas is out of the question for me, due to safety concerns.
A controller doesn't need to cost you half an arm, here is a very cheap (and easy) alternative I've made: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=58011
It is as budget as it gets..
Another one is the one I've used as my primary controller for the last few years (see picture below).
If I remember correct I paid 50 DKr on E-bay for it...that's just short of 6 £ UK.
A stainless steel heating element (if needed) is less than 8 £ UK.
Btw...the controller can be hooked up on a hotplate too if you want an Alembic.
5000W SCR
5000W SCR
s-l200.jpg (9.02 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Danespirit wrote:Good to read your health is improving.. :thumbup:
Well, I don't know about the costs for gas in the UK, but here it's rather expensive (if I calculate on what electricity costs).
Furthermore, I run my rig inside my apartment, so gas is out of the question for me, due to safety concerns.
A controller doesn't need to cost you half an arm, here is a very cheap (and easy) alternative I've made: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=58011
It is as budget as it gets..
Another one is the one I've used as my primary controller for the last few years (see picture below).
If I remember correct I paid 50 DKr on E-bay for it...that's just short of 6 £ UK.
A stainless steel heating element (if needed) is less than 8 £ UK.
Btw...the controller can be hooked up on a hotplate too if you want an Alembic.
s-l200.jpg
Thx so much for the reply.
Still making sence of this all...problems with the gf...the t500 and conflicted views that can work n not!
Think the probs is more like making a spirit run...where power control is key...am I wrong?
Looked at the 2000w and 500w settings and the probs.
I'm eager to get to the bottom of all this... :-)
Thanks again
Bri
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

23/05/17
Today I'm really liking the pot still and stove top boiler from stilldragon..
Wracked my brain til it's sore wether use my GF for a boiler..and researched the T500..and alembic still...
Knaaaa! Keeping the GF for my AG brewing, and too much I don't like about the T500 etc...
After months n months reasearching and learning, I'm happy to maybe purchase the boiler first (30l) then when money's free get the pot still.
I usually ferment 23l in all my FV's so the boiler is plenty of room (head room & reading up how much distil in one run)
It's all about taking the plunge tbh!
Like a said I've got my old still (eventually when I get it back) to slowly re-learn on it.
For now...still reading up :-)
TBC
BRI
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

amberleaf wrote: Thx so much for the reply.
Still making sence of this all...problems with the gf...the t500 and conflicted views that can work n not!
Think the probs is more like making a spirit run...where power control is key...am I wrong?
Thanks again
Bri
You are correct, it absolutely essential to have some kind of power control during the spirit run....regardless of the heat source.
On a stripping run, you could in theory run full power...BUT you won't get the chance of taking any significant amount of foreshots.
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Danespirit wrote:
amberleaf wrote: Thx so much for the reply.
Thanks again
Bri
You are correct, it absolutely essential to have some kind of power control during the spirit run....regardless of the heat source.
On a stripping run, you could in theory run full power...BUT you won't get the chance of taking any significant amount of foreshots.
I hear you loud n clear..thx pal
If I do decide it's going to be a electric run boiler..pot still (stack n condenser) maybe a thumper as I get better with the system.
Bri