Revisiting my brandy

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Revisiting my brandy

Post by Mikey-moo »

A couple of years ago I had an all juice wine kit that I was going to turn into brandy. I stripped 20L and got 3/4 of a gallon but never got around to the spirit run.

Today I decided to finally get to it and I had the great idea to add some disappointing elderberry port to the boiler to add some alcohol.

I really wish I hadn't. The disappointing flavour is coming through. I'm on jar 4 and I hope it stops soon. The original low wines smelled amazing so I'm a bit glum to be honest. :(
Using the ugly trombone :-)
Using the ugly trombone :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Revisiting my brandy

Post by Kareltje »

Are you saying that the elderberry is the bad genius?
I am curious, because I always liked the strong elderberry wine, but hesitate to make an elderberry distillate.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Kareltje wrote:Are you saying that the elderberry is the bad genius?
I am curious, because I always liked the strong elderberry wine, but hesitate to make an elderberry distillate.
I didn't have any fresh elderberries, so I tried a recipe using dried. It didn't taste of very much.

I'll leave it all to air out overnight and I'll let you know how it went :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

I have yet to distill any elderberry wine. Main reason was that the wine was sooo good. I intended to do some more wine this year and try to distill some, but elderberries were all done this year by the time hunting season was here, so I didn't get any berries to ferment. Next year.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

So after a massive heads cut - with a stronger acetone smell than I have ever had before- I ended up with about 1L of 58% which is now set aside with two oak sticks. I think I'll hide it somewhere out of sight and revisit it from time to time.