Hi - New from MI already with an issue

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Herezja
Novice

Hi - New from MI already with an issue

Post by Herezja »

Hey Everyone,

This all new to me, but I definitely excited to give distilling a go. I have been a long time beer brewer and my wife picked up a 5 gallon pot still from whiskeystills.net as a 40th birthday gift for me. I followed all the directions/guide that came with it and have been reading everything I can on this forum (all the newbie and novice stuff) so far. However, I have run into an issue and am wondering what I am doing wrong. I haven't really found anything on the forum yet that applies. I ran my 50/50 vinegar & water mix (after cleaning) and found that the top to my pot still wanted to pop off under operating temp. As if too much pressure is building. I mainly chalked it up to being a beginner and the fact that I was playing around with my heating element (propane burner). Well, fast forward a bit and I had my first batch of mash ready to go. I started heating and adding my flour water mix to both seams where the top meets the pot and where the top meets the condenser. The flour paste went on fine around the top/pot seam and acted (as I assumed) correctly, but around the condenser connection it just wanted to turn into a watery mess for the most part, once everything started heating up. Of course, I lost most of it on the floor and a lot of vapor into the air at that seam. In the meantime, as I heard my mash start to boil, when to turn the heat down and - BOOM - the top got shot about 4 feet in the air along with about half my mash. So...the question is...what am I doing wrong? I suspect I may be adding too much heat too fast initially? Am I suppose to seal both seams or only the connection at the top and pot (the guide mentioned nothing about sealing at the condenser/top connection, but it just seemed to make sense that I would want to seal that too). The whole pressure issue with the top popping into the air is the biggest issue right now, though. I checked everything several times and have fond no clogs. Heck, I even started getting a little liquid collected out of the condenser into my jar before my pressure explosion.

As always, any help/advice is appreciated.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Hi - New from MI already with an issue

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Normally you are expected to make a first post to the Welcome Center to let us get to know you a bit. Maybe a little about your background, a little about what you hope to make.
Your experience seems dire, though, so I'd like to jump in and say STOP!

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong right now, but it could be dangerous and you need to sort it out before doing any more experimenting with your still.

Please post some pics of your still, and a more detailed description of what you think is wrong. The folks here will help you sort it out, but don't run it again without knowing that you can operate it safely!

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Greetings...
what am I doing wrong?
You fired up your still without proper research and that proved to be a big mistake.
As MCH wrote...STOP what you are doing...!
You're lucky that was just a vinegar run. Imagine a spirit run over an open flame and then the top comes off your still...this could be fatal! :shock:
Please open a thread and attach some pictures of your still, but most important DO NOT fire it up again until we have eliminated the issue.

Have fun and stay safe..
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

pics would help like MCH said

i cant quote goose eye but it probably be somethink like " rock on top"

gotta put something heavy on the cap even if there is no pressure

whatever is going on doesnt sound right.

might want to slow your roll , this is a hobby that has its dangers to yourself and others.

time to start reading til your eyes bleed before you set the fire again

pics of your set up would help us all help you

welcome
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Herezja wrote:Well, fast forward a bit and I had my first batch of mash ready to go.
Keep in mind that even a low abv mash can produce explosive vapors when run through the still.
It sounds like you could be hitting it with way too much heat, most likely inducing a puke, possibly plugging something somewhere, and then just too much vapor for your condenser to handle.

But I hate to even guess without more info. I'm glad you found this site and signed up, please heed the advice given and slow to a stop until you can get a handle on what you're doing.
Don't underestimate the danger to you and the people around you.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

Don't worry, I have stopped and have dug to try and figure out what is wrong. I am not doing anything else until I know. U have read a bunch and continue to read (my eyes aren't bleeding yet, though). I will see what I can do to post up a couple pics. Maybe weight on the top is the cure? With all the instructions and info that came with the still, that was never suggested. It does make sense, though.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

Here are a couple pictures of my setup:

[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016120 ... eeb8ab.jpg[/img]

[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016120 ... fca5c8.jpg[/img]

Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Welcome Herezja, as everyone said Stop! You must have some kind of blockage. I have the same still and have never had any kind of pressure issues. Make sure that the lyne arm is clear and the condenser tube is clear. Good luck!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I can't see your photos but if you got it from that company you have a tradition alembic still. They are slip joints and far as I known don't normally give many problems. Yes you could tie weights on or use ocky straps but you said it blew the head 4 ft in the air, that is very far from normal so DO NOT do that. Check you can blown easily through the worm as it could be ya flour paste crap got in there and is restricting the vapour. You should have just about no operating pressure with that still. If the Lynne arm to worm joint is not mating tight perhaps use some plumbers tape on the male/Lynne arm end.
Bud if you could post a proper introduction post I would be happy to split this thread as these discussions are well beyond the scope of a general intro and welcome thread.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

thecroweater wrote:I can't see your photos but if you got it from that company you have a tradition alembic still. They are slip joints and far as I known don't normally give many problems. Yes you could tie weights on or use ocky straps but you said it blew the head 4 ft in the air, that is very far from normal so DO NOT do that. Check you can blown easily through the worm as it could be ya flour paste crap got in there and is restricting the vapour. You should have just about no operating pressure with that still. If the Lynne arm to worm joint is not mating tight perhaps use some plumbers tape on the male/Lynne arm end.
Bud if you could post a proper introduction post I would be happy to split this thread as these discussions are well beyond the scope of a general intro and welcome thread.
No problem...I will do that :)

rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

btw the rock on top isnt the solution to your problem. its just an old school way of doing things

ptfe, tephlon, plumbers tape is all the same as long as its white. other colors are for natural gas , oil, ect.

im sure RAD will be in to tell you about the hosting of picture to the site directly

if you are using a worm , you should be able to roll a BB or ball bearing or marble down it without it stopping. maybe your worms has some high spots causing problems

just make sure it comes out the end before you fire up the still again :shock: :crazy:
Last edited by rager on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

rager wrote:btw the rock on top isnt the solution to your problem. its just an old school way of doing things

ptfe, tephlon, plumbers tape is all the same as long as its white. other colors are for natural gas , oil, ect.

im sure RAD will be in to tell you about the hosting of picture to the site directly

if you are using a worm , you should be able to roll a BB or ball bearing or marble down it without it stopping. maybe your worms has some high spots causing problems
I will check that. I am able to pass water through the worm and even got a little fluid in my collection jar before the top blew.

rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Herezja wrote:
rager wrote:btw the rock on top isnt the solution to your problem. its just an old school way of doing things

I will check that. I am able to pass water through the worm and even got a little fluid in my collection jar before the top blew.

if you pour a cup of water down the worm , which im assuming you have because of the post , you should collect a cup of water. if not that might be where your problem is.

btw pics directly loaded to the site would be a huge help . if not all the details of the still would help, ALL the details!
Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

rager wrote:
Herezja wrote:

if you pour a cup of water down the worm , which im assuming you have because of the post , you should collect a cup of water. if not that might be where your problem is.

btw pics directly loaded to the site would be a huge help . if not all the details of the still would help, ALL the details!
I will see what I can do to get some pics loaded directly. The only ones I have right now are on my phone and Rapscallion is pushing me in other directions when trying topmost up a pic.

DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Welcome from another Michigander. As others have said, keep reading, and make sure you don't have a clog or blockage somewhere. What general area are you from?
jdetechguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jdetechguy »

I have this same still. I have had a lot of puking, but that is from pushing too hard. This has to be blockage. Are you getting too much flour paste where the arm connects to the condenser? I switched to using teflon tape to prevent this from happening to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

DSM Loki wrote:Welcome from another Michigander. As others have said, keep reading, and make sure you don't have a clog or blockage somewhere. What general area are you from?
Hi! I'm am around the Tri-Cities area. :mrgreen:

Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

jdetechguy wrote:I have this same still. I have had a lot of puking, but that is from pushing too hard. This has to be blockage. Are you getting too much flour paste where the arm connects to the condenser? I switched to using teflon tape to prevent this from happening to me.

I think this is the exact issue. I read what Rager posted and ran some more water through the condenser a few minutes ago. I got water on the other end but just dribbles. Not free flowing water at all. So, I blew through the end and something blew out the top. Not sure what as it landed on a high shelf in the polebarn. Definitely a blockage. I'm sure that was the problem. I already picked up three roles of Teflon tape to try last week. Thanks everyone for leading me in the right direction and helping me figure this out. I'm going to keep reading and build my confidence to give it another try eventually. :)

Last edited by Herezja on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

It concerns me that the website whiskeystills.net that you bought from now forwards to another site called http://moonshinestill.com/moonshine-kits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow (it actually forwards to a few sites...hmmmmm...) and I cannot really get any pics or anything from it

Maybe its just under development.....
Hmmmmmm.......?
Hmmmmmm.......?

Your pics look nice though.
Last edited by rgreen2002 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Herezja wrote:
DSM Loki wrote:Welcome from another Michigander. As others have said, keep reading, and make sure you don't have a clog or blockage somewhere. What general area are you from?
I think this is the exact issue. I read what Rager posted and ran some more water through the condenser a few minutes ago. I got water on the other end but just dribbles. Not free flowing water at all. So, I blew through the end and something blew out the top. Not sure what as it landed on a high shelf in the polebarn. Definitely a blockage. I'm sure that was the problem. I already picked up three roles of Teflon tape to try last week. Thanks everyone for leading me in the right direction and helping me figure this out. I'm going to keep reading and build my confidence to give it another try eventually. :)

you will gain confidence , do a little researh on a liebig. then build one while youare reading. its probably the easiest thing to build. it was the first copper i ever soldered and got it mostly right the first time. youll learn a very valuble skill if you dont know how to solder. and once you are done with a bit more reading the liebig will be done and you can toss your worm and move one with alot more safety and ease

cheers
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Herezja wrote:

Just to be on the safe side check the lyne arm also. I'm very happy with my whiskystills alembic. I have never had to use any tape or flour paste to seal mine, it gives a good connection always. Welcome again! :wave:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Lets go to proper forum
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

Bigbob wrote:
Herezja wrote:

Just to be on the safe side check the lyne arm also. I'm very happy with my whiskystills alembic. I have never had to use any tape or flour paste to seal mine, it gives a good connection always. Welcome again! :wave:
The lyne arm is clear. I blew through it and ran water through it several times. The top and pot seal really well on their own, however the connection where the lyne arm and condenser meet don't seal well at all. I think I am done with using the flour/water paste. The next time I try to use the still, I am going to try out Teflon tape.
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

Your pictures are to big, they must be 800x800 or smaller.

This is one of Herezjas pics...
Attachments
sti.JPG
Overpriced, undersized, 5 gallon ebay electric.
Too soon we are old, too late we are smart.
Who said this was easy?
Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

Greenthorn wrote:Your pictures are to big, they must be 800x800 or smaller.

This is one of Herezjas pics...
Thanks :) I was just reading up on how to post pics with site hosting.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Oky doky yeah that turkey fryer will Chuck out enough heat to blow the top off the still :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

You were running it way to hard..
Turn down the heat and seal with flour paste....also keep some water for refilling your flake stand handy.
Herezja
Novice

Post by Herezja »

Danespirit wrote:You were running it way to hard..
Turn down the heat and seal with flour paste....also keep some water for refilling your flake stand handy.
I have been suspecting that is part of my problem.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Instead of evening out the burner I even out the flake stand(condenser). Also your going to want a fountain pump to circulate water thru your condenser. I use a 48qt cooler, you will need something bigger.
jdetechguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jdetechguy »

Herezja wrote:
jdetechguy wrote:I have this same still. I have had a lot of puking, but that is from pushing too hard. This has to be blockage. Are you getting too much flour paste where the arm connects to the condenser? I switched to using teflon tape to prevent this from happening to me.

Glad you found it. Enjoy the still. Don't push it too hard though. Mine pukes with small changes in power adjustments. I watch it closely as it heats up.