heads and tails

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

guest5234
Novice

heads and tails

Post by guest5234 »

I have a gallon of heads and tails from a spirit run should i put it into the next stripping run or spirit run?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: heads and tails

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Spirit run. You already did the work to get it out of the wash, why would you want to do it again?
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

thought as much, some have said back in the stripping run but thought it was a waste of time.
floppy
Novice

Post by floppy »

I save my strips until I can half fill my still then top it up with wash I seem to like the flavor better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

floppy wrote:I save my strips until I can half fill my still then top it up with wash I seem to like the flavor better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's considered a 1.5 run. They are great for flavor! But when you get done with that run, and make your cuts, everything else, fients, is what he is asking about.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I collected 54 half pints of an all feints run for S3 16 for a blending seminar . 2 half gallons and 1 quart went on oak that day . At 4 months the halfs are showing promise . The quart tastes over oaked . I'll be taking some of that to S3 17 .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
SilverBullet
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SilverBullet »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Spirit run. You already did the work to get it out of the wash, why would you want to do it again?
I'd say to clean it up again while it filters in the new wash.
A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

SilverBullet wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Spirit run. You already did the work to get it out of the wash, why would you want to do it again?
so you would put it in the new strip run.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I recommend collecting enough feints (the heads & tails from previous spirit runs) and making a reflux spirit run with them (alone).

Once I've separated feints from product, I don't like to mix them back into low wines. If I did, it would increase the heads and tails in the low wines and I'd just have to separate the feints again.

Granted, there may be a little "recoverable" spirit in the mixture. But the addition of all the feints would narrow the hearts take relative to the heads and tails.

To me, it's wise to keep the feints separate, collecting for an all-feints run, and then collect what "recovered" hearts I can.
ss

p.s.-This is exactly what SCD suggested in his first reply...just elaborated slightly.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

SilverBullet wrote:
I understand the thought, but if you aren't cutting out any fractions, it ain't getting cleaned up. You're just diluting and re-concentrating. You save up your strips, add some wash to dilute it, and then rerun it. But you would be doing a spirit run then.

Our you can save all your fients and do a special spirit run on just those. Those are great treats. Clean, but still flavorful.

Edit: Posted same time as SS
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverBullet
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SilverBullet »

guest5234 wrote:
SilverBullet wrote:
so you would put it in the new strip run.
No, I was saying to add it to a new wash before stripping it. Just my thought to have it cleaned up twice instead of the once over. Go with what they say though
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

SilverBullet wrote:No, I was saying to add it to a new wash before stripping it. Just my thought to have it cleaned up twice instead of the once over. Go with what they say though
That doesn't clean anything. All it does is put your discarded crap into your nice fresh wash. I tried it three times with rum, then stopped because the heart cut was getting smaller with each generation. I get a far better result by saving the feints for an all feints run with some added fresh wash.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

+1 on whats being said above, that doesn't make anything cleaner unless cuts are made before adding back to the wash.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Taste is everything. Do whatever makes you happy
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Dilute them with water to 17% or less. Now, heads will sink to the bottom, and tails will float on top, leaving you with quite some good, re-usable ethanol with great taste. Syphon of that the middle 50%. Make sure not to disturb the hydro-separated heads and tails. Add these "feints" to your next stripping run.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
SilverBullet
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SilverBullet »

Important to know this, thanks guys. Sorry for my misleading idea on this subject :silent:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't know if you have ever had a result from using that theory Oden but, when I tested a 5l demijohn worth over several months, nothing happened.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

On pot distilled heads and tails it works. It may take a few runs and cycles though before it shows up.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Odin wrote:On pot distilled heads and tails it works. It may take a few runs and cycles though before it shows up.

Regards, Odin.
My test was on pot stilled, (not that I can think of any physical laws that would make a difference). Please explain what you mean by more "runs and cycles", so that I can try that.

Cheers
Chris
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

The more heads and tails you collect, and hydroseparate, the more compact they will come out of solution. If you have enough, you'll see the heads at the bottom, forming a hazy, cloudy mess. The tails float on top and start to look like a gasoline film on top of water. Just use the same hydroseparation vessel over and over again ...

Odin.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Have you got any photos? Mine remained uniformly cloudy with no sign of any separation except for the original oil slick. The abvs top, middle and bottom were the same. It appeared that, if any hydro-separation was going to happen, it wasn't going to happen in a useful time frame for someone my age.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

No pics, I am afraid. When I will be making some new likker (probably only in a few months time) I will show you.

Regards, Odin.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Odin wrote:The more heads and tails you collect, and hydroseparate, the more compact they will come out of solution. If you have enough, you'll see the heads at the bottom, forming a hazy, cloudy mess. The tails float on top and start to look like a gasoline film on top of water.
Hi Odin,
do you think the same thing happens in the wash?

I mean using the same vessel for hydroseparation with low wines until it can bee seen with the naked eye might have its "cool" visual value but I'm thinking that a 10%ABV wash might be separating even if it can't be seen so, if hydroseparation is real, wouldn't it make sense to separate and treat each layer differently or even cut and toss the top and/or bottom?

For example, if you had a conical fermentor, say 20l, with a valve at the bottom, would it help to take the first 4l in one container, the center portion (12l?) in another and the last 4l in yet another?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Now that's a very interesting thought ...

Regards, Odin.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

this is exactly why i make a fores and small heads cut even on stripping runs

when i get home im going to have to look at 3 or 4 carboys of fients again. all from pot still likker. im pretty tight on my cuts. im curious to see if i can see any seperation . the tails floating on top makes sense. being able to "see" the heads at the bottom , im not to sure of . again ive never looked all that hard . 15 gallons of AG and 5 gallons of who the hell knows what feints.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Odin wrote:No pics, I am afraid. When I will be making some new likker (probably only in a few months time) I will show you.

Regards, Odin.
I'm not here to support or refute any claims here. I am just posting this because I had been running so far into fients that they were averaging less than 20%. And they had been sitting in a chilled environment, in a glass carboy. Was passing by and saw this. Take it however you want.
imag1496.jpg
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
Odin wrote:No pics, I am afraid. When I will be making some new likker (probably only in a few months time) I will show you.

Regards, Odin.
I'm not here to support or refute any claims here. I am just posting this because I had been running so far into fients that they were averaging less than 20%. And they had been sitting in a chilled environment, in a glass carboy. Was passing by and saw this. Take it however you want.
imag1496.jpg

those look like cloudy tails at the bottom.......
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you add various proofs to a jar without mixing them, they can settle in layers and not mix for months. The test I did for hydroseparation, I thoroughly mixed the feints to make sure I couldn't get a faulty result from uneven mixing.

If hydroseparation works, take it to the next level and separate it with a centrifuge.
Good luck with that.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Mine look the same way....Lots of flavor in there.
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Was passing by and saw this. Take it however you want.
That is what my low wines look like when I pH treat. Sometimes it is white, sometimes a bit blue.