Dilution of spirits

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

workpress
Novice

Dilution of spirits

Post by workpress »

HI all

I have a question. When I dilute my spirits down to 40% with distilled water the final product has a slight musty taste to it.
My distilled water is fresh and I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong...( I add the water to the spirit)
I am diluting sweet feed whisky and a corn likker of sorts.

Any advice would be helpful

Thank you

Workpress
rad14701
retired

Re: Dilution of spirits

Post by rad14701 »

Tails... One jar less at the tails end of the blend should fix that... Its hard to not blend that one extra jar, but look what happens...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'd have to agree with Rad . Just posted on a recent thread where SRD and I dipped too deep into tails and flavored the result . Blending is a hard won art that has to be practiced often to stay good at it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
workpress
Novice

Post by workpress »

thank you for the quick reply rad,

To fix this I can just re distill and make better cuts then eh. And save the tails for the next run then.

NB I just ran a 1 gal jug of your first generation Gerber recipe and it went really well I ended up with 500ml that is ageing on charred oak. However my ferment lasted 3 weeks as it is cool in my shop.

Thank you

Workpress
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

reverse osmosis water is something you may want to try too. has a much nicer mouthfeel.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

HDNB wrote:reverse osmosis water is something you may want to try too. has a much nicer mouthfeel.
R O is much better than distilled imho too
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

The best thing you can do is set it aside for six months then come back to it. Bet you get a pleasant surprise when you do.
A small amount of tails have a way of changing into something tasty with a bit of aging. Hell, I don't drink anything younger than six months anyway.

tp
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

I did the same on my first rum run. Went a jar (or two) too deep. It's going at the back of the cabinet for a couple of years. If it's still no good then, I'll redistill.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk