Several runs from a single ferment keeping infection out.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Several runs from a single ferment keeping infection out.

Post by Pikey »

I have a quite small pot (25 litres) and some of my ferments are quite big (Up to 200 litres). So I need to keep the air out of them while the stuff in the fermenters is being baled out, perhaps for several weeks. This is to prevent infection. It is no problem while the ferment is under way, as the CO2 sits on top and pushs the air out of the bubbler - however when the lid has been removed ant the top of teh wash removed for use, the air can get back in. Nowadays I tend to throw a tablespoon of sugar in there after the lid is removed. thsi restarts the ferment and produces a few grammes of CO2, which is plenty to restore the CO2 level within the fermenter and keep the nasties out again.

Hygiene is quite important in fermentation of wines and beers. perhaps we tend to be a bit blaze about it sometimes, because we don't have the stuff hanging about long - just a thought.

Anybody else got any tips ?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Several runs from a single ferment keeping infection out

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Install a drain port in your fermenter, above the usual grain bed level. Then, you just pull from the tap, and don't have to remove the lid.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Yes you can do that, although it may present some other issues, but even if you do, or pump it, a little extra CO2 remains a good idea, to replace the liquid and replace any air which has got in.
Smeg
Novice

Post by Smeg »

Sometimes if I get interrupted stripping a large batch I pour my strip back into the fermenter to bring the ABV right up which keeps infection at bay till I can get back to it.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Bit of sugar works, drains near the grain bed can be a total nuisance blocking up
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I have been known to break down a larger ferment into clean 6.5 gallon carboys when done. Drain/squeeze/strain and fill. This gives the added benefit of making it easy for the later runs to sit and clear. Haven't had any issues with infection; just keep things clean.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

thecroweater wrote:Bit of sugar works, drains near the grain bed can be a total nuisance blocking up
Get off your blurter and move your drain tap higher Crow.
Pikey wrote:Yes you can do that, although it may present some other issues,
What sort of issues Pikey ?
From my understanding CO2 is heaver than air so your wash will still be protected.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

sugar must work. I kept close to 30 gens of UJ going on one yeast bed for just over a year. ferment, clear, rack, scoop spent, add new, ferment...repeat. nothing was sanitized or cooked. all done at room temperature.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Ya gonna have 15 taps all 100 MMS above each other . Grain bed depth can vary greatly from one mash to another. The one I have ATM the bed starts properly about a third of the way up but effectively for the purpose of draining say just over halfway up. That is to say buy the time I removed 65 of 220 litres I had got to the point where I needed to run it though fly wire, I guess I could have removed the first 55 litres with a tap without that much trouble. Its had a very long time to settle otherwise it would be nothing like 55 liters. Now a standard UJ may be a whole different story.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

thecroweater wrote:Ya gonna have 15 taps all 100 MMS above each other
Well ya could just siphon it out and forget the taps.
HDNB wrote:I kept close to 30 gens of UJ going on one yeast bed for just over a year. ferment, clear, rack, scoop spent, add new, ferment...repeat. nothing was sanitized or cooked. all done at room temperature.
In excess of 30 gens here over 4 years without ever adding sugar,so what have we proved?