strawberry in thumper

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nickbbb
Bootlegger

strawberry in thumper

Post by nickbbb »

OK I made a mash of water, sugar, strawberries, and cocoa. the first time I ran it, you could taste the chocolate really good but no strawberry. so for this run I am thinking of putting strawberry extract in the thump. Question is, should I start with the extract in the thump or put my backings in the thump until I collect a bit and then dump the extract into it? thanks!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: strawberry in thumper

Post by Truckinbutch »

Double or triple run your likker to the point that you no longer need to worry about cuts . Dilute that to under 40% abv and charge your boiler with it . Put your flavoring mix (or a cooked and strained version) in the thumper and run one more time and collect everything .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Post by Rain Distillate »

If your looking for strawberry flavor why not take some of your strawberry mash, add some strawberry extract to it and then put it in the thump keg? Might help?
nickbbb
Bootlegger

Post by nickbbb »

^^^ was thinking of doing just that too
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you're going to use extract, why put it through the thumper when you can add it straight into the likker?
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Post by Rain Distillate »

NZChris wrote:If you're going to use extract, why put it through the thumper when you can add it straight into the likker?

I think he's looking for a more authentic strawberry shine taste w/o having to say he added an extract to final product. Correct me if I'm wrong.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Also the abv would still be high as opposed to adding extract later and diluting it.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

rain distillate wrote:
NZChris wrote:If you're going to use extract, why put it through the thumper when you can add it straight into the likker?

I think he's looking for a more authentic strawberry shine taste w/o having to say he added an extract to final product. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If you want authentic, put real strawberries in the thumper or gin basket and run the likker through it. I slice them. Raspberries I put in whole.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

If you're going to infuse starwberries for a flavour, beverycarefull how many - the flavour goes a Long way !
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Good info here have a look......... :eugeek:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=60563
nickbbb
Bootlegger

Post by nickbbb »

So I went a head and tried the wash in the thump with a small bottle of extract. Now it taste like a chemical. So lesson learned. I guess I will run it hard with water in the thump to try to clean it up and just make the panty dropper. So I learned my lesson to use real fruit in the thump and NOT extract!